1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

tracing bloodline?

Discussion in 'APBT History' started by Doggystyle, Jan 12, 2006.

1. Doggystyle

Doggystyle Big Dog

Hello everyone. I'm one of those who dove head first to owning this breed. The pup I got had parvo(she is 100% healthy as of now) and was from a backyard breeder. How, if possible could I trace her bloodline? Thanks for your help!

2. Defend2DaEnd

Defend2DaEnd CH Dog

You could contact the breeder and ask then what the parents names are. At least you would know that. I don't think there is anyway to trace a dogs pedigree without papers or unless you have line bred the dog yourself. Next time if you want to know a dog's bloodline buy one froma reputable breeder. But hey I have made the same mistake before : ).

3. ghost 1

ghost 1 CH Dog

there not anyway for you to without the paperwork and coming from a byb, he probroly don,t have a clue,,,

4. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

Truth is, without papers from a reputable breeder you will never know. Even if the breeder had absolutely no clue, he will probably throw out names he's heard before to sound knowledgeable. No need to know the bloodline of your pup, I'm sure you two got close dealing with that parvo! Just spay her and love the hell out of her.

5. Doggystyle

Doggystyle Big Dog

Thanks for the replies!

6. Big Papa

Big Papa CH Dog

yeah it has been said and done

7. Doggystyle

Doggystyle Big Dog

Are you saying that it is possible to trace bloodlines, if so then how?

8. c.knight

c.knight Big Dog

i know i made the same mistake i feel your pain i am guilty of buying from a byb

9. Doggystyle

Doggystyle Big Dog

The one I have is 57lbs,18in tall and head size is 16in. I hope her head catches up to her sooner or later. I walk her everyday at least one mile sometimes two and when doing so I try to keep her pulling. I have bones for her to chew,but I heard an old car tire will keep her busy.

10. bronxpits

bronxpits Big Dog

papers dont mean nun in the box ive seen dogs from the pund take down"papered" dogs before

11. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

Nope. There's absolutely no possible way.

Right now, genetics cannot even tell you the difference b/n a Poodle, Bichon Frise, Boxer, Great Dane, Mastiff, Coonhound or "pit bull". So the idea of figuring out bloodlines is just absurd at this point.

I've had lots of people argue with me on this point, but trust me, they are just wanting to be able to say their dog is or isn't something based on the rep they want to gain from their dog.

12. tommy3

tommy3 CH Dog

If you give a dog a tire, make sure that it does not have metal running through it. I believe all car tires these days have metal in them and you can imagine what it can do to your dog.

13. Jenn

Jenn Top Dog

http://www.happynews.com/news/1272005/scientists-decipher-dna-of-dogs.htm

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2004/05/0520_040520_dogbreeds.html

14. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

15. ghost 1

ghost 1 CH Dog

lol ,,,,what she said

16. Hillbilly Pit

Hillbilly Pit Big Dog

is it not true that if you don't have blood from somany gen. that the DNA test is no count? like he mite can find hes dogs parents, but there parents mite not be found or mite be in another state.

17. ABK

ABK Rest In Peace

Doggystyle - Unless you got the dog from a reputable breeder that knows the lineage of their dogs, there is no way to know your dog's bloodlines.

Bronxpits - You keep talking like that & you might find yourself in the "pund." You do know humaniacs that will turn you into the cops lurk here right??

18. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

I don't quite understand what you're trying to say, but here goes.

If you have a stud dog & have him DNA profiled & you have a bitch that is DNA profiled, then you can DNA profile the pups & prove that they come from the said stud & bitch. HOWEVER, this doesn't prove anything else. Its doesn't prove bloodlines (unless the DNA profiling goes back generations on dogs who have PROVEN lineage) nor does it even prove that the resulting pup is pure bred. All DNA proves is parents. If the sire & dam are the only ones to be profiled & there is no known pedigree on either, then you just wasted a lot of money for nothing.

19. Hillbilly Pit

Hillbilly Pit Big Dog

That 's about what i was asking. i thought that if the par. in the past (G-par. great G-par. and so on.) hadn't had a DNA profile done on them from gen. past that you couldn't trace them?

20. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

Without getting a dog from a respectable, knowledgable, & HONEST breeder/owner who keeps detailed truthful peds, then there is absolutely no way to know what bloodlines your dog is. It's a dog.