1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Top ten most have books

Discussion in 'Breeder Discussion' started by ohpitbulls, Mar 16, 2010.

1. RRL

RRL Top Dog

That's great that you have all that old stuff to go back to.I started looking into the breed around 1993 at the age of 15 and I got every book sold in the gazette at the time.I only have the stories because I was born in 1977:).I have owned and raised a few dogs as pets,and I'll have a new pup soon...but I really enjoy the history of this breed.I also think the laws have done a major diservice to these dogs.I wouldn't be surprised if some of the books talked about in this thread become illegal to own (or cause trouble for dog owners...if they don't already).I'm trying to get my hands on as much as I can in case that happens.

2. steinlin

steinlin Big Dog

RRL,
    The way things are now, I would'nt be surprised either..
    years ago, I never would have thought that keeping bulldogs would be illegal in some places...
    Better hide my Sears exercise mill and them wood wedges i use to shim the door open with...just in case someone thinks I'm one of them bad guys...ROFLMAO

3. phill

phill Top Dog

theirs a book called " the art of raising a puppy " the auther is called "monks of the newskeete" has to do with german shepards the guy saw me wearing my iowa club sweatshirt and we talked about dogs he 's intrest was hunting dogs and hunts with docters he said he was an old time pro basketball player who played for a aba team in the 60's called the saracuse nationals his name is robert sharpenter he also went on to tell me he's read thousands of books this one is one of his favroits the book he said also wolf packs and matching pup with person it was an interesting conversation

4. ShakaZ

ShakaZ CH Dog

Now THESE are the type of books I'm looking for where did you pick em up at?

5. i would be interested in a copy of dogs of velvet and steal must be mint thanks

6. dirtybump

dirtybump Pup

How do I get my hands on a PBB ? I've been a apbt owner and breeder for the past 15 yrs and have never owned a copy of my own . If some 1 can provide a website or store I would appreciate it . PM me if necessary . Thanks in advance !!!!!

7. ben brockton

ben brockton CH Dog

the yellow pages so you can find a attorney & bondsmen. these "agencies" are snatching folks up like it's going out of style.

8. redrumdog

redrumdog Top Dog

I always looked forward to Maf's articlesin SDJ.He wrote a few on conditioning and nutrition that was pretty good. Browns book was great on bloodlines.

9. GoldTone

GoldTone Pup

hey oh, thought id chime in here since nobody was able to give you ten books, these are just some of my personal favorites not saying they are the best or that youll even like them but here goes...

1. The APBT by Joseph Colby -(the old Colby book not the new one with that fat b***h Dianne Jesup) The most comprehensive book ever written on the breed imo, covers every thing from selection and rearing to conditioning and showing all of which are still very usefull today. Also includes a section called "The Greatest Pit Dog Ive Ever Owned"-with articles by Pete Donovan, Al Brown, Ham Morris and JM Corrington. you can find it pretty cheap as a paper back reprint ($5-$6 bucks plus shipping)

2. Fighting For Life the ABT by Frank Rocca- great stories, great history, great pictures and lots of pedigrees.

3. The World of the APBT by Richard Stratton- the best of the Stratton books imo (its the big brown one) many color and black and white photos one many of the significant dogs of the day. Also has over a dozen 7 generation ADBA pedigrees of foundation dogs like CH.ALLIGATOR, GR.CH.ART, GR.CH.HANK TURNER, GR.CH.BOOMERANG, TOMBSTONE, BOLIO and many others.

4. The Complete Gamedog by Ed and Chris Faron- The name says it all, this is a COMPLETE gamedog book has a good section of stories and an even better section on caring for a yard of dogs. also has over 30 pedigrees of some really good dogs.

5. The SBT in History and Sport by Mike Homan- This is a really great book, not a "show" book by any means. The PBT had a long history as a gamedog in western europe before he ever reached america. this book highlights that history.

6. My Life and Times with the APBT by J.C.Shaw- A good book from a good dogman, includes a really good keep.

7. Courage: Profiles of Important Pit Dogs by Stratton and Williams- This book is all pictures and pedigrees of gamedogs spanning over 100 years, what more could you want?!

8. A Half Century with the APBT by Gary Hammonds- a very informative, funny and common sense kind of book from one of the best breeders of all time.

9. Thirty Years with Fighting Dogs by George Armitage- a very interesting book from one of the shrewdest competitors of his day. (also can be purchase as a cheap paperback reprint for 5-6 bucks)

10. The American Staffordshire Terrier by Jaqueline Frasure- This is a top notch book, has a excellent chapter on the history of the PBT as well as many significant photos and a great chapter on genetics. i know what youre thinking, you wanted a list of GAMEDOG books right? well let me tell you contrary to popular opinion, all the people that started the amstaff were not interested in dogshows and many knew a good dog when they saw one. A few are even still around and some of thier dogs are in the blood of many modern day "gamebred" dogs (although you wont see it show up in the pedigree).

10. chef_kergin

chef_kergin Big Dog

shakaz - you can get paperback editions of both off of amazon.com for relatively cheap.

11. RRL

RRL Top Dog

Can you still get the Gary Hammonds book anywhere? I paid $28 for Joseph Colby's book...I wish I would have known where to get it for $6...Its worth the price I paid anyway.I don't really care about Jessup,but Louis Colby's contribution to the book which is big makes it my #1 book...I wish the pictures were larger,and I'd also liked to have seen more photos.Maybe someday a huge Colby Dogs books will be put together with tons of photos and stories.If Fat Bill writes a book,I'd buy that one.I'm still looking to get the Bullyson books,and I'm now interested in getting Frank Rocca's books.The Book Of The American Gamedog Times Volume 3 & 4 were great!!! I also finished The Hollingsworth Dogs,and that to was really good...I'd love to read a part 2.I could never read enough stories about these great dogs:) I heard about a limited book (100 copies) in The Book Of The American Gamedog Times Vol.3 published by a guy in Maine...It has old Colby Dogs in it...anyone have this? Or information on it?

12. KBK

KBK Big Dog

Has anybody got contact details for Ed Faron, would like to get his book when I have a few quid.

Any help would be appreciated.

KBK

13. TASOSCHATZ

TASOSCHATZ Big Dog

14. Mamba

Mamba Big Dog

For me the best are "Dog of Velvet and Steel", i still have my copy, also Hammonds book are very interesting...as Strattons books...

15. phill

phill Top Dog

its been a rough 2 years here havent had the adba gazzet for a year my cousin baught me the last 2 issues from the show last weekend probally the best 2 they put out good reading as far as the studs advrtised only saw like 3 i like a few had good top end but they ruined it on the bottom end

16. ohpitbulls

ohpitbulls CH Dog

Who has a used copy of THE PIT BULL BILE they want to get rid of ?

17. chaser71

chaser71 Banned

All the sratton books,Any of the agdt,farons,& roccas!

18. ohpitbulls

ohpitbulls CH Dog

I would be willing to trade a new copy of THE COMPLETE GAME DOG for THE PIT BULL BIBLE

19. NOSEGUARD

NOSEGUARD Pup

20. noodles

noodles Pup

Jock of the Bushveld ( true story)
    History of the Pit Bull Terrier Wayne Brown
    Complete game dog
    JP Colby Book
    Colby's book of the American Pit Bull Terrier Louis B. Colby
    Stratton Books
    Half A Century with the American Pit Bull Terrier
    Braveheart Portraits of American Ledgends