1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Too much walking?

Discussion in 'Sports & Activities' started by DBlock, Aug 22, 2005.

1. Saiyagin

Saiyagin Guest

Yes it is very good for dogs if you can afford it but its not really nesessary if your already feeding your dog some good high quality dog food or you have a special event or reason for supplementing the ground beef.

2. DryCreek

DryCreek CH Dog

The difference between raw meat and ground beef is....
    Ground beef has a slightly higher risk factor for e-coli. Because it is ground up,unlike raw meat chunks you can wash,anything wrong with the meat is ground right into it.

3. BlackSeal

BlackSeal Pup

What would you wash the meat with, surely water wouldn't be sufficent to clean bacteria off. And I dont think dish soap would taste too good.

What about searing the the meat in pan with little water?

4. Chyna

Chyna Pup

Me and my Choc. Lab do 3 miles 4 days a week. That 3 miles in 45 mins. I had a Black Lab that could go 6 miles if I would let him. Don't walk my PB much ' cause she has torn ligiment in her knee(feel out of my truck).I would walk him as long as he wants to pull.

5. ScrapPack

ScrapPack Big Dog

With just a lil' bit of intelligence that I had actually kinda' sorta' applied to this topic, I'd have to say that WALK HIM TILL YOUR TIRED AND BOIL THE MEAT !! And yah Diamond is good for a regular, heck I use it. But for "FITNESS" I'd go with a natural food. Some folks seem to forget that way back when these dogs came from a wild species. . .. . . JMO

www.thegrandchamp.com

6. ochi

ochi Pup

you guys just gave me a wonderful idea.. i'll start giving my dogs 1/4 pound of ground beef every meal.. i think it'll be fine for my dogs even if it is not cooked or washed after buying it since i'll be buying them from the supermarket and not the market.. and besides, i always mix a teaspoon of super premium lactobacilli drink(has 7 different good bacteria.. and 450 million good bacteria in a mililiter of the stuff!) to their food everytime i feed them.. also, i've started adding a cup of white rice to their dry dog food last month.. and they love it! coz before, i only give them dry dog food with a solution of powedered milk and water.. kinda like a cereal meal.. as for the walking.. we don't walk.. we jog.. 10 kilometers.. twice a day.. i'm a track & field varsity team member in our school and i need to jog that much since i'm a distance runner.. we do it early morning and late afternoon so that it won't be that tiring for us since it's cold.. somehow, i've trained them to jog without stoping but there are times wherein some of them(i have 4 dogs by the way.. 2 APBTs, a japanese spitz, and a jack rusell terrier japanese spitz cross..) have to stop and take a leak.. hehehe..:D

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2005
  7. Big Papa

Big Papa CH Dog

barf/raw beef is actually good for the dogs.......but if your feeding a good rand of kibbles then just feed kibbles because beef cost to much $$$$

8. Baylor

Baylor Pup

From what I understand, a dogs digestive system breaks down food by using the bacteria in their stumach. So potentially if the dog eats raw meat it could potentially get really sick becuase it doesnt have the stomach acid to just kill foriegn bacteria or worms. So if I was going to feed meat to a dog I would at least cook it. I mean if the dog is eating dog food with the meat even if the meat lost nutrience by cooking it I am sure the dog is getting enough from his dog food. Also, high fat content foods can also affect a dogs health. Right now the dog looks healthy but later in life his risk of pancreitis and cancer can go up. Just like humans. I feed my dog Iams large breed puppy food and he is a healthy fit 90 lbs at eight months old. The only extra thing I give him is one egg a week to keep his coat shinny.

9. B

B CH Dog

Cooking the meat takes all the nutritional value out of it! Your dog is plenty safe eating raw food regardless of E.coli or salmonella. The dogs digestive tract has evolved to be perfectly happy eating raw meat. Our dogs are no so far away from the wild ones that you need to think they have evolved to eat kibble and cooked food. A dog can thrive off of a raw diet if you follow the rules and stick to it firmly.

Eukanuba and Iams are more poisonous than raw meat!

B

10. Chyna

Chyna Pup

well since you feed your dog Iams you may want to have a look at this. www.IamsCruelty.com

11. SFK

SFK Top Dog

"I feed my dog Iams large breed puppy food and he is a healthy fit 90 lbs at eight months old."

That's healthy?

12. Verderben

Verderben CH Dog

i give my dogs raw beef and raw chicken sometimes. its good for them.

13. Verderben

Verderben CH Dog

eewwwwww PETA sux. They do more harm to animals than Iams ever could. Don't believe everything PETA tells you they like to exagerate and they HAVE been known to make thier own movies and pass them off as "undercover" video to further thier agenda .

14. 440rider

440rider Guest

I don't feed IAMS... but I still wouldnt buy into the hype on that peta driven website whether you like the food or not.

15. robert

robert Big Dog

Go on B.A.R.F. sites, you will get info on raw diets. I think raw diets are excellent but quite hard to prepare. I preffer giving dog food.

16. CARNAGE

CARNAGE Pup

THERES NO SUCH THING AS TO MUCH WALKING AND IT IS NOT OVERATED FOR ITS RIGHT USSES ALSO RAW BEEF IS GOOD FOR YOUR DOG

17. dianabol

dianabol Big Dog

i never meet anyone who could over walk a dog if its on a leash you gonna wear out b4 him................=)

18. HEADS UP: PETA/SPCA AGENT

Humaniacs are among us :cool:

19. I certainly feel 1.5 miles a day is nothing to be concerned about. I walk Rocky about 1 1/2 hours daily (about 5 miles) through 45 degree hills. In addition, he carries a 20lb harness. On the weekends, I include at least 8-mile runs on Sat & Sun. I really think you are fine.

Raw food bad? NO WAY! The only bad side is that feeding raw meat alone will require you give dogs supplements.

In regards to your buddies' oversized dog and feeding raw meat: His dog's size is most likely connected to feeding raw meat. The bad part is that joints may weaken because the dog grew too fast.

20. SouthernDixie

SouthernDixie CH Dog

Your dogs can really prove how out of shape you are too. I'm all worn out after walking while my dogs are saying "springpole! springpole!" lol