1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Todays staffords it's a shame

Discussion in 'Staffordshire Bull Terriers' started by dogman2007, Dec 13, 2010.

1. nobody

nobody Banned

@ finito did not say tanya was not correct, said a shame that if they talk to people they only show ped with her and the top side KC stafford, no shame in beeing honest about the doubtfull pedigree from RB.
    If the dog is good that is al that should not matter.

@ on the rocks, i do believe there are some sound dogs unlike those over here, you are right most is watered down and bred for no purpose but when we got to know them, they talked different in beeing real serious.
    But in the end the % of good SBT's that actualy can stand against APBT in the fastlane i yet need to see, there are not many out there and if the dogs are good why not go in it, that's the reason you breed working dogs to work them.

2. KingFisher.

KingFisher. Big Dog

if there was a stafford that could live in the fastlane let alone run in it then all the right people would know about it and then it would be up to the owner to put up or shut up! and im guessing it will be shut up...........

3. Finito

Finito Big Dog

My mistake !

4. hammer head

hammer head Top Dog

Gr CH Nessie X CH phantom produced a cracking litter that going down a storm in scotland. Nessie was a great swimmer but a touch camera shy.

CH Phantom got her 2nd at a showing in a castle.......spooky that no one heard of them.

5. i wouldnt say they all had no engine thats a big statement seen plenty better there american cousins i agree theres plenty of pit and staff peddlers out there selling pure shite but not all ......

6. kiwibilt

kiwibilt Pup

I agrre totally agree. The UKC is THE standard when it comes to this breed. These dogs were bred for bull baiting & must be muscular & powerful. Having said that, dogs over 30lbs do not fit the standard. For another excellent standard, check out the NZKC. There are many excellent Staffies being bred & shown there, & many excel at agility trials as well !.

7. 12 gauge

12 gauge CH Dog

^ your opinion yes, but several miles away from the truth. seriously dont know what else to say but pay closer attention to the "real" history of the breed

8. kiwibilt

kiwibilt Pup

Having bred show winning champions in New Zealand & been around the breed & breeders my entire life, Im fully aware of the "real" history of the breed. I have also been fortunate enough to attend seminars held by recognised "authorities" on the breed, that have been involved with the breed prior to its standardisation by the UKC. Like I stated, if you want a definitive standard for the English Staffordshire Bull Terrier, check out the NZKC standard...perhaps you are confusing the breed with their mongrel cousin the amstaff ?

9. 12 gauge

12 gauge CH Dog

oh i see, this paragraph specially the 1st sentence explains everything "i" needed to know. good luck to you and your dogs, and please excuse my intrusion.

10. kiwibilt

kiwibilt Pup

"English Staffordshire Bull Terrier" standard taken from NZKC. An interesting side note is English Staffies are listed as "Terriers", while Amstaffs are listed as utility dogs.
    Here's the standard & a pic of my last dog 12 gauge (I bred him, & he was a NZKC champion, & an agility champion CDX)...shit or get off the potty you smarmy motherf****r.

Staffordshire Bull Terrier[​IMG]
    TerrierGroup:Terrier[​IMG]Size:MediumLifespan:13 years average expectancyExercise:FlexibleGrooming:LowTrainability:ExcellentWatchdog ability:LowProtection ability:ModerateArea of Origin:EnglandDate of Origin:1935Other Names:noneOriginal Function:Family Pet & Show[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]HistoryThe Staffordshire Bull Terrier was developed in the United Kingdom from its ancestor the Bull and Terrier and created as a show breed in 1935. At that time the owners asked the Kennel Club to approve the name of "Original Bull Terrier" (the Bull Terrier having snaffled the name first by turning to the show ring many years earlier). This was turned down and so the breed was named after the public house in which the meetings to create the breed standard were taking place. Had they used the pub 200 yards down the road it would have been called the Worcestershire Bull Terrier. I.e. there is no particular relationship to Staffordshire although this was a popular area for the type of dog that became the Staffordshire Bull Terrier. TemperamentThe Staffordshire Bull Terrier appeared in the top 10 breeds MOST suitable for families and especially children in a report researched and published by Southampton University in 1996. This breed is highly intelligent, eager to please and very people friendly. It has a special empathy with children and it is for this it is best known. It adapts readily to most situations making it the foremost all purpose dog. Staffordshire Bull Terrier puppies are very easy to house train. UpkeepSome members of this breed certainly have energy to burn. This energy can be satisfied by throwing a ball in the garden, walks in the fields or just whatever the owner chooses. Although the Stafford is capable of living outdoors in mild weather, it can be affected by cold and, more importantly, it is a dog that craves human contact: thus, it is far better suited as a housedog. Coat care is minimal.

Official Breed Standard
    CHARACTERISTICS:
    From the past history of the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, the modern dog draws his character of indomitable courage, high intelligence and tenacity. This coupled with his affection for his friends and children in particular; his off-duty quietness and trustworthy stability, makes him the foremost all-purpose dog.

GENERAL APPEARANCE:
    The Staffordshire Bull Terrier is a smooth coated dog. He should be of great strength for his size and although muscular, should be active and agile.
    Head and Skull:
    Short, deep through, broad skull, very pronounced cheek muscles, distinct stop, short foreface, black nose.
    Eyes:
    Dark preferable but may bear some relation to coat colour. Round, of medium size and set to look straight ahead.
    Ears:
    Rose or half-pricked and not large. Full drop or prick to be penalised.
    Mouth:
    The mouth should be level, i.e., the incisors of the bottom jaw should fit closely inside the incisors of the top jaw and the lips should be tight and clean. The badly undershot or overshot mouth to be heavily penalised.
    Neck:
    Muscular, rather short, clean in outline and gradually widening towards the shoulders.
    Forequarters:
    Legs straight and well-boned, set rather wide apart, without looseness at the shoulders and showing no weakness at the pasterns, from which point the feet turn out a little.
    Body:
    The body should be close-coupled, with a level topline, wide front, deep brisket, well-sprung ribs and rather light in the loins.
    Hindquarters:
    The hindquarters should be well-muscled, hocks let down with stifles well bent. Legs should be parallel when viewed from behind.
    Feet:
    The feet should be well-padded, strong and of medium size.
    Tail:
    The tail should be of medium length, low set, tapering to a point and carried rather low. It should not curl much and may be likened to an old-fashioned pump handle.
    Gait/Movement:
    Free, powerful and agile with economy of effort. Legs moving parallel when viewed from front or rear. Discernable drive from hind legs.
    Coat:
    Smooth, short and close to the skin.
    Colour:
    Red, fawn, white, black or blue, or any of these colours with white. Any shade of brindle or any shade of brindle with white. Black and Tan or liver colour not to be encouraged.
    Weight and Size:
    Weight: Dogs 12.7 to 17.2 kg (28 to 38 lb). Bitches 11 to 15.4 kg (24 to 34 lb). Height (at shoulder), 35.5 to 40.6 cm (14 to 16 in), these heights being related to the weights.
    Faults:
    To be penalised in accordance with the severity of the fault:
    Light eyes or pink eye-rims.
    Tail too long or badly curled.
    Non-conformation to the limits of weight or height.
    Full drop and prick ears.
    Undershot or overshot mouths.
    The following faults should debar a dog from winning any prize:-
    Pink (Dudley) nose.
    Badly undershot or overshot mouth. Badly undershot - where the lower jaw protrudes to such an extent that the incisors of the lower jaw do not touch those of the upper jaw. Badly overshot - where the upper jaw protrudes to such an extent that the incisors of the upper jaw do not touch those of the lower jaw. Note:
    Male animals should have two apparently normal testicles fully descended into the scrotum.

Attached Files:

11. nasher

nasher Big Dog

That why the stafford is fucked because of standards looks over function

12. Nash

Nash Big Dog

I cried when i found out my dogs were not bred to standard. We call ourselves the MUTTley crew now.

13. 12 gauge

12 gauge CH Dog

i've never thought new zealanders like you were so touchy, malinformed and disrespectful.
    it seems that all that time you've spent with all those mediocre breeders (and showfanciers-ruining the breed like yourself) was in fact in vain. now you gonna come here and say your dog (sorry by looking at this pic i cant tell what breed it is) is a champion in agility, boo hoo! what a pile of elephant shit.
    you want to continue and be an asshole I can be one too and worse, but if you want to continue this thread in a civilized manner i can be a gentleman too, you choose

14. The Manc

The Manc Pup

u tell him 12 gauge

15. blanch

blanch Big Dog

the kennel club can really chat some shit.

didnt they say the kerry blue was originally some sort of spanish gundog that swam to shore in Ireland when a ship sank?

they say whatever they need to get interest sparked amongst show people,if you want to believe them its up to you,but for 1 obvious example look at show and racing greyhounds,which functions better?

16. sunbeam

sunbeam CH Dog

all breeds bred for show points have been ruined. as mentioned above, you will not see a show type greyhound win the derby or a show bred spaniel showing the working stock up at a field trial etc. the only reason anyone argues that the show type stafford can be the equal of his working cousin or the apbt is that it is illegal for anyone to prove them otherwise .so its safe to spout any twaddle they wish.

17. joe rock

joe rock Pup

getting back to the 1st post , most of the dogs shown were all KC champs ! I would'nt feed any 1 of them ,even if you gave it to me free ! . very sad state of frogs (dogs) they are all fat anyway ! quoting nash , before saying he cried ! ha ha for joy ,
    Imagine owning 1 of these fat frogs ? if they were the only staffies around ? I would'nt be on this forum !
    most of the people who own 1 of these frogs , are not on this site ? and the people who breed them also ? The KC show people don't really want a good athletic dog ,that can preform and funtion . WE DO ! they want rossetes and medals for looks ! and they like fat frogs ! so we cannot say to them you mustn't like that ! its their chose ? Its just a shame that ( Both Dogs ) share the same name !
    I said both dogs , because they are drifting so far apart , even more so than the APBT and American Staffy , and look at all the stink that cause's !

18. 12 gauge

12 gauge CH Dog

this is not the 1st time i hear someone claiming to be in the "know" about the breed and its history for quite sometime, but then they go on and explain this kind of bullshit that has this breed where it is and even digging a deeper hole, these things really intrigue me and make me wander where the hell these people get their idea of a stafford from. try your stafford in the field hunting something of same size or bigger, the closest thing to the pit in my opinion, that'll give you a better idea of what you got, never seen a stafford counting his/her medal or ribbons, but seen many claim their critter between their legs not wanting to let go, an earned and enjoyable prize if you ask me.

19. hammer head

hammer head Top Dog

we can not expect the VAST majority of breeders to breed an animal for any field purpose........take the jack russell or greyhound. Earth men and keepers of running dogs favour a mix to aid them in the field. A selectively bred vermin or running hound are crosses. They are far superior in the FIELD be they lurchers or lakeland/patterdale crosses. Therefore the modern SBT would have less than a third of a contribution to any FIELD animal. The modern pit dog is a cross of various line redboy/jocko, yellow/bellon, bolio/mayday etc..........

so to breed a PURE stafford to compete would handicap your effort from the start.

20. northdogger

northdogger Big Dog

Why cross? Lines yes,breeds no. There still is good staffords out there holding there own and producing the same. No need to cross it...