1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

To those that hit their dogs.....

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by tommy3, Aug 10, 2007.

1. Old Timer

Old Timer CH Dog

you are not alone,but like was said before i know from talking to you you would not beat a dog till it passed out or turned on you.even myself when they do something bad they get a swat on the butt not hard but like you would give a child,just to jolt them and say hey better not do that again.most everytime though i can control them by the sound of my voice but it was the same with my children i could just say something to them and they knew they did wrong.and that still goes on with all my kids,grandkids and great grandkids.just as with children there is a diffrence ebtween dicipline and abuse.i never swatted my dogs or kids unless it was needed and i never used what most would consider force just a little swat on the butt and a stern voice with both and that worked for me.but anyone who would beat,punch,kick or take foreign objects to either a dog or child is pretty low on my list.

2. '

This is funny, because this is what I use on my little dog...
    he is 4 1/2 years, and VERY well trained, so, when I say
    "paper" he is gone..and doing what I had told him to do to begin with............LMAO.....If I do not say paper, all I have to do is reach for it, or pick up ANY paper and roll it, he knows...it is funny, cause after just popping him with it4 years ago, he still remembers...I have not popped him with it in that liong....used it to train him, popped him a few times and that was that!
    I do not believe in taking your anger out on, or just flat out hitting or abusing a dog, for ANY reason, there is not one out there good enough to justify it...these people make me sick....I hope they rot!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2007
  3. tommy3

tommy3 CH Dog

I have no problem with an occassional pat on the butt if it is really needed. Sometimes, it may be needed to get the dog's attention. Especially, if they are riled up. But, as you all said, that is a far cry from actually hitting a dog.

The episode I described was a result of the puppy pissing on the floor as soon as it got back in from pissing outside. I know that is frustrating. But, it is a part of training a dog. It should be expected. The puppy sure as hell didn't deserve to get the shit beat out of it.

Actually, I found out about the abuse when I was watching the puppy. I noticed that it was walking around with it's tail tucked for no apparent reason. I told myself that he must be yelling at the dog or something when it pisses in the house and it was tucking its tail because it needed to go outside. I took it outside and it did its business the whole time while watching me and shaking out of fear. I asked him what does he do when the dog goes inside and he said that he rubbed its nose in its piss or feces. I asked him if he hit it and his reply was "yeah, the dogs have to fear you or it won't respect you." Of course, I tried to tell them that it will cause more problems than help. They argued with me and didn't hear nothing I had to say and later on had the balls to actually brag about it and laugh while talking about it!

Anyways, another thing, rubbing your dogs face in its shit may work to a certain extent but there are much more effective and less traumatizing ways to housebreak a dog. If there is a way to do it that will be more effective and is not traumatizing, why the hell would you consider doing it the non-effective or abusive way?

I never shoved my dog's face in it's excrement and he became completely housebroken without going in the house more than a few times (and that completely stopped within a month or two). He never even went number 2 in the house his entire life! And I got him at 6 weeks old! Obviously, there are better ways to train a dog than abusive methods!

If you get angry enough to hit a dog because it isn't doing what you want, you should try hitting yourself! After all, 99.99% of the time YOU are the reason it isn't doing what you want. Learn how to train the dog properly or take it to a reputable trainer. Then you will see improvements. Beating a dog doesn't make anything better. It will make them MUCH worse.

4. tommy3

tommy3 CH Dog

Exactly. Catch them in the middle of the act with a stern no while running them outside and praising them immediately when they finish up outside is the right way to housebreak. Of course, the more you can avoid them pissing in doors at all, the better.

If you make sure they don't piss in the house in the first place, they won't make it a habit. All it takes is being willing are responsible enough to take them out OFTEN. Even if this means that you have to pay someone to come home and let the dog out while you are at work and wake up 2 or 3 times to take them out during the night.

5. Suki

Suki Guest

i also feel the same~a quick "swat" and a hit, done with intent to inflict pain are two VERY different things, and i do not disagree with a swat/quick correction. taking out aggression by means of hitting i do NOT agree with, however.

sorry ABK~no need to duck, i shoulda clarified that! ;)

6. yOg

yOg Pup

I know Im somewhat new to this forum, But I think there is a diffrence in beating and correcting your dog when it needs to be done.......

Im not talking about punting the dog across the yard, But a smack on the toosh is going to go a long way........

And please dont make it sound like Im saying a hard smack either, Just something to let them know their doing wrong!

And from this I have never had any one of my pets scared of me or lived in fear of me!
    I dont know alot about this subject Im about to bring up, But if a dog was in a pack and it was doing something incorrect from what he should be doing in his role from the pack, wouldnt the alpha correct them?

7. chloesredboy

chloesredboy CH Dog

Very sad,I know how madening this is.Just yesterday my husband and I were out to eat and these idiots behind us ,(A guy and his wife,and,a friend of the wife's)were bragging to a friend about how they "Pounded the little bastards head into the linoleum,for eating the cat's food"Okay beat a puppy for eating food,like the dog knows the difference between its food and the cats.Then the wife goes on to tell about how the pup wouldnt go out on the leash ,so she picked the dog up off the ground by the leash and choked it all the way out to the yard!By this time i was so enraged I couldnt eat.I told my husband I want to go over there and bash their heads in.Well my husband was in uniform so he goes over there and tells them that cruelty to animals is now a federal offense and the guy is like"okay,I dont want any trouble officer,I just got out of work release and I dont need any trouble"So my husband says "if the dog is that much trouble why dont you get rid of it"? Man says"we just got the pup so its not really trained yet"About that time the waitress comes over and starts talking to me so I didnt really hear his response to that ,but the idiots pay and leave right away after that because the waitress left me and went to their table.I did get their plates as they were pulling out though and trhe next day the woman got pulled over busted driving on a suspended.I also called A.C. .but I dont know what happened with that.It is terrible to hear about and feel lkie you cant get throughto them ,too bad someone cant put an ass whippin to your friend ,let him know how it feels.

8. Old Timer

Old Timer CH Dog

yep thats the problem today either folks have no self control,or are just down right fiends when it comes to animals and children and they get some kind of sick pleasure out of beating dogs and kids.like you said when your housebreaking a dog it is 100% unavoidable that your going to have a accident but you just clean it up and move on with life.not the end of the world,and if this would have been a aquaintince of mine i more than likely would have just punched him in the side of the head and then when he asked why i would have said for disipline you ain't listening to me so i reckon it is because you don't fear me.i have only had one dog in my life that house broke it's self and i never trained it because it was a outside dog that i decided to let live in the home,never made a mess and always let me know when it needed out.but every other dog i have had in the home has had at the very least 3 accidents.now how i broke that was if i caught the dog in the act i scolded it and then took the pup outside till it went again now whether it was 15 minutes or 2 hours we wasn't going back in till it went.then i would clean it up and i would put pepper down and if it went back to the same spot it got a nasty suprise and when it took off sneezing i would gather him up and take him outside.that stoped it in a hurry.but agree 110% with the last part of your post tommy because that is always the case.

9. chloesredboy

chloesredboy CH Dog

HHMM,I've never heard that pepper idea ,it is interesting and sounds like it should work.I'll have to try it next time I have pup.Have they ever eaten it?Just asking because it sounds like something my dogs would do:rolleyes: !

10. Old Timer

Old Timer CH Dog

well the trick is you can't let them see you do it.then when they go sniffing around they go back to that same spot and they get a nose full of pepper and i guarentee you they won't go back there again,lol.but even if they do eat some it won't hurt em none.

11. diva

diva CH Dog

It seems a bit harsh to end a friendship over a friend spanking a puppy. Let me ask you this....are dogs the only thing you have in common with this fella?

I have a friend who I just will not talk dogs with as I do not agree with some of the things he says and does. I tried to talk to him, but some people just don't listen. But, that's not to say that we don't have other things in common.

I would also like to ask this.....what is the difference between a person rolling a dog, where it may end up with broken bones, bruises, cuts, and may even lose it's life.....and abuse? Are the dogs not feeling physical pain in both situations? Would you have got so upset if it was an adult dog that he was rolling and you came to see it's face swollen up with multiple cuts and scrapes....or maybe a mangled ear, etc.? You know that has to hurt, right?

I'll probably get bashed for my questions. But, it just seems a bit hypocritical to me.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2007
  12. ghost 1

ghost 1 CH Dog

same here ABK,,, i will correct them if i feel they knew better,, i don't beat the but they definately get they're full attetion real quick

13. I am really curious as to how some of you would react to certain situations.

Let me set a scenario for you.
    You walk out to a dog yard and a 55 pound male grabs you by the arm. Luckily, he "mostly only grabs clothing, you pull your shirt off and when you try to step back, he grabs your upper thigh.

First try putting him on a leash...Then try walking him while he is trying to bite you. This dogs weighs twice what you do. Do you think a firm "no" is going to stop him? Even with a prong collar on? Or a spank on the butt?

I'd really like to hear how some of you would handle this situation.

14. chloesredboy

chloesredboy CH Dog

that seens kind of extreme for comparison.A dog peeing on the rug and a dog trying to eat you are a bit different.And yes the biting dog would get the shit beat out of it untill I could get away ,but that hardly matters considering it would be getting a bullet as soon as I got away.

15. jeeperino

jeeperino CH Dog

I second the bullet idea.

16. Yes, that's true and I completely agree chloesredboy... I suppose I got a little off topic there. LOL I tend to sometimes ;)

Just a scary situation I had to deal with awhile back.

Just to explain a little more detail, the dog was not socialized for his first 2 years of his life, He wasn't "mean" just honestly didn't know any better...and after a few lessons in manners, he didn't need a bullet.

I guess my point was that depending on the age (pup/adult) and temperment (hard/soft) you need different methods and levels of correction.

Sorry if I came off like a punk lol

17. chloesredboy

chloesredboy CH Dog

you were able to keep the dog?thats cool.The worst ones for biting are the unsocialized dogs.I saw it alot when I worked at the humane society.People would bring in these two or three year old dogs because they were just mean or vicious.Nine out of ten times it was due to the fact that the poor thing was obtained as a pup then thrown in a pen or on a chain after its cuteness was gone.The worst part was these people never saw where they did anything wrong, it was just that the dogs was completly vicious:rolleyes: .It was amazing though what a little attention and love did for alot of those "horrible" dogs.Of course they couldnt all be saved but the majority of them turned out to be perfectly lovable pets.Its too bad that the law doesnt consider that abuse enough to remove a dog.

18. Yes, he turned out to be a decent dog. Believe me there were days that I wanted to give up on him. The Bruises, scrapes and puncture wounds he gave me made me want to shoot him. BUT He wasn't my dog, I was keeping him for a friend. If a dog is going to be at my house, I damn sure don't want to be afraid of it, and I want him to respect me... So it was either work with him, or just leave him in a kennel... He was a different dog a year later when he went back though. LOL

A little bit of training goes a long way. When you start with a puppy, you can teach them a lot faster and easier with kindness, consistency and the minimal amount of correction that each individual dog needs to respond and understand.

With an intact, adult bulldog, it's a whole new ball park ;) Gaining the dog's trust and respect is a lot harder. And certainly not for someone who tries to "kill em with kindness", that will get you bitten or mauled for sure the first time you try to ask him to do something he "don't wanna do" lol

You are RIGHT on, they all can't be saved!

19. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

I'll admit, I am not a "no-touch" trainer. A pup peeing on the floor, is one thing. I don't recall ever physically touching a pup who made a mess. They don't know any better, and it's a hinderance to potty training. I have however, had grown dogs, housebroke for 3 years look at me, walk to the corner of a wall, and lift his leg. He got a swat on the butt! Thinking of all the times I've touched a dog in correction, was older dogs who knew better, and were too hard-headed to care without a "snap out of it!" reminder. Same dog, gets swatted on the rear whenever he feels he is going to mount anything. Again, knows better, just testing me. Yes, I'll suprise them with a swat on the butt!

Mrz banjo, I had a very similar scenario. Caring/Working a dog for a friend who is a nut and wasn't socialized how we would of. It took a few weeks for him to realize jumping up, grabbing your shirt or pant leg in excitement, wasn't acceptable. He's a large dog as well, about 54 cw, but an extremely large 54. Tall as a horse, strong as an ox, never an ounce of fat on him. Actually, he is probably close to as tall as my mastiff at the shoulders, he's a monster. When he felt he was going to jump up and grab the collar of my shirt for the first time on a walk, it suprised the hell out of me, and I lightly slapped him in the side of the face. Sat down shocked, "no Chopper!". It took awhile, but he got it. If he's getting worked up on the chain, been on it inactive for too long, or sees another dog being walked by and worked, he still forgets and will nip you. Never put teeth in me, but ruined quite a few shirts! Old owner offered him to me, if I wanted him, after his show because he was too much to keep in town. I accepted, and now he is one of my favorite dogs :)

20. 14 Rock
    I have to admit, I was sad to see him go back home... The owner said to my husband one day after he got him back "Boy, he has a mind of his own doesn't he?" Well, much to my chagrin, my husband didn't ask him any details, and to this day I'm dying to know what he did to have that said about him LOL But I have a pretty good idea

That dog is what my husband refers to as "A Dogman's dog" Much to my offense HaHaHa...

This guy also would still get excited and forget sometimes...but with much less agression lol