1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Tired of getting stuck in the d*mn mud!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by treezpitz, Jan 22, 2015.

1. treezpitz

treezpitz CH Dog Staff Member

Since I have moved to the woods it has been a pretty common occurrence that I have found myself stuck in mud. I know a lot of people have 4 wheel drive, well I don't. I know I should have a winch on my truck, again, I don't. I do have a come along that I can use if there's a tree close by but as we know that's not always the case. What do y'all country folks use to get unstuck out of the mud if you have no other vehicle to pull you out? I'm looking at this product here Get Vehicles Unstuck in Difficult Road Situations with Trac-Grabber just haven't ordered any yet.

2. BLUE8BULL

BLUE8BULL CH Dog

.there a good simple idea,,ya putt one them together yourself...ah-well....time to get atv..bike....or a horse...down the ranch...g-luck...

3. bgblok68

bgblok68 CH Dog

I dont know how to answer without sounding like a smart ass. lol Anyway whats the reason you keep going back in the mud if you know you're gonna get stuck?

4. BLUE8BULL

BLUE8BULL CH Dog

...keep a few logs or lenths of wood in the back,,untill ya get something else

5. treezpitz

I thought about making one, Blue. A ratchet strap and a piece of rubber. Just don't know where I'd get the rubber from. lol I need a horse but I was on my way home from Dallas today when I got stuck. I'm too far to ride a horse to Dallas lol. Thanks, Blue.
    LOL I have no choice, bgblok. We live on a dirt private road and when it rains it's a mud pit. It's going to be a ongoing issue, I can clearly see that, I just need to make it as easy on me as possible to get out lol. Two times I got stuck in the back yard, once in front of the house and then again today on our road. It's only a matter of time before # 5 lol.

6. CajunBoulette

CajunBoulette CH Dog

Maybe some slag on your road? Probably can get a few truck loads and rent a small bobcat. Either that or grade the road at an angle to help rain water run off to the side instead of creating puddles in the road

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. BLUE8BULL

BLUE8BULL CH Dog

..how much they cost..???..a few cuts of tyre stuck together,an your ratchet strap..should do it t-p...when ya have time..but if there only a few $$$..???

8. treezpitz

Yes, I do need to add some weight to the back end for sure.

9. treezpitz

Yea, cajun, I had a "tractor fund" saved up right now and I'm just going to buy one instead of renting one. I checked on bobcat rental and the cheapest is about $200/day. I'd need it a couple days at least. So, that got me looking at prices of old tractors and I've been looking for a old Ford 9n or 8n. They're cheap but I haven't found one that I'm sold on yet. But that's my big task that I've had planned since buying this place is fixing the road.
    Those trac grabbers are $50 for 1. I thought about some cut up pieces of tire but didn't know if it would have create enough traction to get it unstuck. I do have some ratchet straps and a few tires that the dogs have chewed up so I think I'm going to make one and try it the next time I get stuck.

10. old goat

old goat CH Dog

tractor supplies will have a 60 foot tow strap . i think wallmart has them to .

11. CajunBoulette

CajunBoulette CH Dog

Yeah the roads and driveways are pretty tough the first 3-5 years it does get better with time and work though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Augustus

Augustus Big Dog

Toyota.......

13. bgblok68

bgblok68 CH Dog

How long of a drive? Mine is close to a 1/4 mile long and it costs about $350 every 5 years to keep it graveled. Getting stuck all the time would get old quick.

14. Mudville_Monsta

Mudville_Monsta Top Dog

I would say the same as Blue. Where I gew up was a county part of town. No sidewalk, dirt and gravel driveways, no gutter we rock ditches....lol. I'm sure your more than familiar now.

When we would go muddin we would always make sure to have some 6-8' 2X4's just in case. Sledge hammer to, in case ya gotta drive that wood under the tire. Always got us out.....though if ya add the tire strips to the 2x4's it may work even better. But it really all depends gow deep ya get in there also.

15. CHAMP

CHAMP Big Dog

At the risk of sounding like an asshole, a 4x4.....a 4x4 is what most of us country folks use, lol

Sent from my microwave using Tapatalk

16. Mop Master

Mop Master Yard Boi AKA MopMaster, Gutter Boy & LWG

harbor freight has a winch for sale like $75 i believe.

17. keystone

keystone CH Dog

lol.................

18. BLUE8BULL

BLUE8BULL CH Dog

..INTERESTING ...to see what ya make up...t-p...and as mm....ya will be a country gent..soon..lol...

19. treezpitz

I have some long ratchet straps that I connected together and tied it to a tree but that wasn't enough to get my pulled out. I'll have to look into a snatch block like you suggested to me last night, OG. Appreciate it, amigo.
    LOL I'm hoping it gets better, cajun. The road was the major downfall that we knew we would have to deal with about this location. Sucks but I was willing to take it on.
    The road is about a mile long, bgblok. I'm tempted to bring in truck loads of rock or gravel and just have them spread out but I'm thinking unless I fix all of the holes in the road, the rock will just end up being pushed out of the holes and onto the side of the road. I figured if I didn't want to "waste" any money it'd probably be best to grade the road first. And yes, as you can imagine, it has got old for me already lol.
    Sure appreciate it mud! I'll keep some 2X4s in the bed from now on. I've had some plywood close since I've been by the house each time I've got stuck and I'd use a jack to jack up the truck and put plywood under the tire that's stuck. Up til now it hasn't even worked for me. Each time I've had to have one of our other vehicles give me a pull out, even with plywood under tire. I'll keep some 2X4s with me just in case from now on.
    Sure appreciate it, MM. I looked at harbor freight but the cheaper winches were for ATVs. Didn't know if that would be powerful enough to use on a truck.
    LOL Yes, it will be interesting. Even more interesting to see if it works or not when I get stuck next time lol. LOL Yes, blue, I'm getting baptized as a country boy for sure lol.

20. treezpitz

LOL I'm sure a Toyota may be the ticket but I've always been a GM guy lol, I don't see a toyota being parked out here lol. I'll just get 4X4 lol.