1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Tips on Reading Pedigrees

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by BRONXXX, Dec 6, 2009.

1. BRONXXX

BRONXXX Big Dog

Hello everyone,

Im new to game dogs and was wondering if I could get some tips on how you guys can look at a pedigree and instantly know how the pup will turn out.

I typically look for pictures, but im guessing there is more to it than that :rolleyes:

Thanks!

2. rallyracer

rallyracer CH Dog

you cant- no one can. if anyone thinks they can they are highly delusional. the only way you will know how an individual dog will turn out is to wait and see. the pedigree is not a crystal ball

3. Trouble

Trouble Pup

A pedigree is a good start but its just a piece on paper u cant tell what type of dog your getting. Different dogs give you different things some of the best dogs have thrown some bad dogs. Look at your ped. and do some research on the dogs on and go from there their are a lot of good people on the site that can help with certain dogs on it. Hope I helped you out

4. BRONXXX

BRONXXX Big Dog

I should have been more careful with the words I used.:rolleyes:

5. BRONXXX

BRONXXX Big Dog

Thanks Trouble, its a start.

I guess then the best thing for me to do is when I am interested in a pup, research some of the dogs in the pups generation and also post the ped to the forum and see what people say. :confused:

6. norcalreds.com

norcalreds.com Big Dog

First of all I'd ask myself what it is I'm looking for and the purpose. Do some research on what you want to get and ask alot of questions but keep an open mind! What you like may not be something that others like but to each is his own! If your happy with the decision you've made then that's all that matters at the end of the day!

7. BRONXXX

BRONXXX Big Dog

Thanks for the advice. :)

8. scooter

scooter Big Dog

Well no one can tell just by reading a pedigree. I would say that it helps to know the ped because you want to know the law of averages and possiblities. You also want to know for breeding purposes if you are so inclined. A good dog is where you find them and the ped is just that a ped. Nothing more and nothing less.

9. Pirbul

Pirbul CH Dog

With a pedigree you can guess more or less how a pup could turn depending on the breeding, lets say you have a linebreed or inbreed "ELI" dog,for example, and you can see pictures or videos on parents,grandparents and even other ancestry.. you can guess the fenotype your dog will have with this information.

You can see other similiar breedings to guess the results too.

Now if you have a scatterbreed dog, outcross or 3 way breedings... then it gets harder to guess.

10. BRONXXX

BRONXXX Big Dog

Scooter: Can you elaborate more on what you mean by law of averages and possibilites?:)

Bongo: So...Is it safe to say that youll never really know exactly how a pup will turn out (like what rally mentioned earlier?) A pedigree is just a start for the research process? :confused:

11. p1tbull

p1tbull Big Dog

You will never know if its good until you know its good.:D:D:D but if you have a better ped there's just more chance of getting one but chances are you can buy a 50,000 dog and it can turn to be a badass curr;);)

12. im from va and all around me is razors edge wats da deal wit dat blood line i hate it fo reel da dogs are to fuckin big!

13. Colossus

Colossus Big Dog

Hi, i'm also new to game dogs and i was wondering what are all the different colors in the ped... i see alot of blue , green and red can anyone explain to me what that al means? :confused:

thanks guys!

14. cameron

cameron Big Dog

red= champ
    blue= rom por
    dont know what green is might be winner or some shit. i don't reallly look at the colors cuz after all thats all they're "colors" lol.

15. Colossus

Colossus Big Dog

Okay, thanks for the info. and indeed they are just colors, i prefer to look at the dog and not the color...:p

What does rom por mean?

16. cameron

cameron Big Dog

rom - register of merit
    por - producer of record

17. Colossus

Colossus Big Dog

Thanks Cameron!.

18. AGK

AGK Super duper pooper scooper Administrator

The colors mean nothing, it's just how the person put the info in peds online, if you put the name in the prefix title spot, you get red, if you put it in the suffix title, you get blue, I still to this day have no idea how they get green to come up or even there kennels in a faded gray undernieth the name of the dog. It really is just colored text though, just because you see red or blue don't make it a ch or r.o.m just like if you see black it don't mean the dog isn't titled.....;)

19. Colossus

Colossus Big Dog

Thanks for the info! :):D