1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Tips for filling your tank

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by DryCreek, Nov 26, 2007.

1. DryCreek

DryCreek CH Dog

Just received this in an e-mail...can anyone confirm or discredit this info?

WHO KNEW THIS????

Here are some tips sent to me by a friend that might help ease the pain at the pumps.

TIPS ON PUMPING GAS (Good information)

I don't know what you guys are paying for gasoline.... but here in California we are also paying higher, up to $3.50 per gallon. But my line of work is in petroleum for about 31 years now, so here are some tricks to get more of your money's worth for every gallon..

Here at the Kinder Morgan Pipeline where I work in San Jose , CA we deliver about 4 million gallons in a 24-hour period thru the pipeline. One day is diesel the next day is jet fuel, and gasoline, regular and premium grades. We have 34-storage tanks here with a total capacity of 16,800,000 gallons.

1.-Only buy or fill up your car or truck in the early morning when the ground temperature is still cold. Remember that all service stations have their storage tanks buried below ground. The colder the ground the more dense the gasoline, when it gets warmer gasoline expands, so buying in the afternoon or in the evening....your gallon is not exactly a gallon. In the petroleum business, the specific gravity and the temperature of the gasoline, diesel and jet fuel, ethanol and other petroleum products plays an important role. A 1-degree rise in temperature is a big deal for this business. But the service stations do not have temperature compensation at the pumps.

2.-When you're filling up do not squeeze the trigger of the nozzle to a fast mode. If you look you will see that the trigger has three (3) stages: low, middle, and high. In slow mode you should be pumping on low speed, thereby minimizing the vapors that are created while you are pumping. All hoses at the pump have a vapor return. If you are pumping on the fast rate, some of the liquid that goes to your tank becomes vapor. Those vapors are being sucked up and back into the underground storage tank so you're getting less worth for your money.

3.-One of the most important tips is to fill up when your gas tank is HALF FULL. The reason for this is, the more gas you have in your tank the less air occupying its empty space. Gasoline evaporates faster than you can imagine. Gasoline storage tanks have an internal floating roof. This roof serves as zero clearance between the gas and the atmosphere, so it minimizes the evaporation. Unlike service stations, here where I work, every truck that we load is temperature compensated so that every gallon is actually the exact amount.

Another reminder, if there is a gasoline truck pumping into the storage tanks when you stop to buy gas, DO NOT fill up--most likely the gasoline is being stirred up as the gas is being delivered, and you might pick up some of the dirt that normally settles on the bottom.

Hope this will help you get the most value for your money.

DO SHARE THESE TIPS WITH OTHERS!

2. Well, Thermal Expansion Is Something I Work With Everyday And Is A Very Easy And Common Principal To Follow. The Others Make Sense As Well, But Im Not Hip To The Methods Of Mass Fuel Storage, So I Dont Know About The Floating Cielings Or Vapor Vents In Hand Pumps. It All Sounds Ligit...and Chances Are That I'll Be Getting Gas This Morning When Its 16 Degrees ..... Lo

3. Chef-Kergin

Chef-Kergin Guest

dry creek - good post! someone mentioned the filling up at a 1/2 tank bit to me years ago, they swore by it; now i'll be trying it. i drive a bit to work each day, so i constantly monitor my mpg every time i fill up my tank.

iverson's - please check your PM. :)

4. ghost 1

ghost 1 CH Dog

thanks DC didn't know about the temp but it makes all the since in the world and the fast mode i always wondered about

5. MOOT44

MOOT44 Top Dog

FOR SURE, do not get gas while the 'gas man' is there pumping. My mother owned a gas station for 33 years. Luckily, their gas person tried to fill them up at nighttime, when they were closed.

How much is gas where you all live?

In Mid-Michigan, it is 3.09 right now.......ouch!

6. bullydogs

bullydogs Top Dog

Personally, it all seems to be legit. And since the gas prices keep on rising, nothing wrong with giving it a shot.

Gas prices where I am at are roughly reg/87 grade $3.15:mad:.

7. jman11

jman11 King of the Valley

I payed 3.87 for premium yesterday:mad:

8. Old Timer

Old Timer CH Dog

regular here is going for $2.98 a gallon,wich is crazy in my opinion. i remember when gas was a nickel and 10 cents a gallon. wich it would go back to 50 cents or so a gallon again at least.

9. bullydogs

bullydogs Top Dog

Wow, a nickel/dime for a gallon of gas. You truly are an Old Timer;). Well atleast your still under the 3$ mark. Time to save up for a solar powered car.

10. Old Timer

Old Timer CH Dog

yeah i was real young when it was that price in our area,then when it went up to a quarter dad thought it was highway robbery.he had had his first truck about 6 months when it jumped up on him,before that it was mule and buckboard for us.and a truck wasn't really a truck in todays sense they were real trucks not these overgrown cars with a big open trunk,lol.

But them solar jobs ain't no good for me,infact no kind of hybrid is.i think them things is only good for driving back and forth to work in the city,but i do a lot of heavy hauling wich is why i have the v-10 engine in my new truck. but i don't think them hybrids are all that folks think they are. i prefer the tried and true gasoline or diesel engine,it is familiar and we know it works and works well. and it is one of them things if it ain't broke don't fix it,there ain't nothing wrong with the engines it is the oil companys that need fixing.

11. DryCreek

DryCreek CH Dog

Had to go convert the amounts LOL.

An American gallon holds 3.785 Canadian litres

We pay 1.07.5 /litre so round up to 1.08 x 3.785 = 4.08.78

So it's 4.08 almost 4.09 a gallon we're paying for gas here. :eek:

12. MOOT44

MOOT44 Top Dog

Hang on.......3.09 yesterday and 3.29 today......

JMAN....I know it's been high in CA for a while...I am sure you've got it bad...

DryCreek...I did not follow all those conversions, but I did follow the 4.09 a gallon.....What a freaking rip off....If I lived closer, i'd ride my freaking bike to work....

Remember, not to yell at the cleark for the gas price....I used to work at my mom's station when I was younger, and, let me tell you so many people were pissed of at me, the 15 year old pimple faced kid who did not even have a car...Don't take it out on the person at the counter:)

Andrew

13. elgin64

elgin64 Pup

Yea yelling at the clerk is not cool at all. Another thing, do not top off. It traps gasoline in the hose and next person that uses the pump will get charged for the gas in the hose. :(

14. DryCreek

DryCreek CH Dog

I think the gas company's count on peoples apparent need to take it up to the next dollar amount instead of just paying the change LOL. If your filling at the slow level you don't have any need to top up. ;)

Does anyone know the percentages in regards to the actual cost of the gas compared to the taxes payed on it?