1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Thylacine

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by chinasmom, Nov 13, 2007.

1. chinasmom

chinasmom CH Dog

2. I think thats a tasmanian tiger aka the tasmanian wolf. I remember seeing that video when I was in 7th grade because we were studying Australia. Thylacine was a less common name, but they were actually carnivoruos marsupials. I took that tiger/dog cross as a joke, but some people don't realize it is impossible to cross species. I remember that because I made up a fantasy fight between one of those and a cassowary as a project to explore the intricacies of each native Australian species...

http://www.cassowaryconservation.asn.au/noframedocs/Cassowary.html

3. misterdogman

misterdogman CH Dog

yeah ive seen things about them on animal planet, but they are not really a cross between a dog and tiger, and sadly they went extinct in the 1900s, i believe, hence the video tape of them...sad... they were neat & unique animals

4. chinasmom

chinasmom CH Dog

5. feastodg

feastodg Big Dog

my favourite animal evar!!!1

they went extinct in the late 20's or early 30's i think... the last on died in captivity :( i hope one day we can clone them. ima have the first gamebred thylacine

oh yeah and i think they were more related to felines. they had claws too

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2007
  6. They were marsupials...and not closer related to felines. Here's a more relaible source...
    http://naturalworlds.org/thylacine/

7. Searcy Jeff

Searcy Jeff Top Dog

I remember seeing that video of the last one in captivity. That's an interesting animal. Would love to see this animal among others that have gone extinct.

8. chinasmom

chinasmom CH Dog

The more I looked at it, the more it changed to me. It's backend looks like a Roo and the head a dog.
    Yea, I saw that site too.

9. Galadriel

Galadriel Pup

I remember hearing several years ago that the scientific community was going to attempt to extract some viabe DNA from a preserved kit with the intent to try to clone, but I don't know what ever happened there.
    Bad idea, IMO. Humans are responsible for their extinction, but a good deal has changed in the last 90 years, and the environment can no longer sustain that kind of apex predator. Also, with the increase in human population, both natives and tourists, in Tazmania, it's a whole can of worms that doesn't need to be opened. But what an amazing animal! There have been reported sighting of them for years, but no evidence that a few hung on.

10. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

Chupacabra!

Seriously though, google cryptozoology, and I guarantee you'll be fascinated.