1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Thoughts on this dog?

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by The Teflon Don, Feb 11, 2009.

1. hoovereport77

hoovereport77 Big Dog

for some reason i also think she is a mix. maybe its the second picture where's she's in a sideview position with the snout sloping inwards, from the nose to the lower jaw . anyways, i've seen some pitbulls that really look like mutts with thinner bones and longer snouts but if you look at them you can still see that they are pure apbts. just cant place a finger on it. hopefully i'm wrong. jmho, anyways, do they know how she was bred?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2009
  2. Okay, give me PROOF that there is Vizsla in the above dog and I will be happy, cuz I don't SEE any Vizsla in this dog either.

Oh, and about Vizslas not having long legs...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    THAT is a Vizsla. Looks like it has awfully long legs to me. Every Vizsla I've seen, unless it was fat, badly bred, or crossed with something with short legs, has legs like Bambi.:p But what do I know? I've only lived, handled and worked with dogs for the last 24 years.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2009
  3. Garner's Otto has a snout very similar to that dog, and he certainly isn't mixed.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Edited to say:
    I'm not saying that I'm right or anyone else is wrong, and I'm not saying she MUST be pure, I'm just saying that she isn't necessarily mixed either. It's just that so many people have this idea in their heads of what Pits should look like (ie: big, square heads, short snouts, etc.), and it isn't always so. I've seen tall pits, short pits, lean pits, fat pits, small pits (20 lbs.), big pits (65 lbs.), pits with short wide faces, pits with longer faces, pits of almost every color, pits with small ears, big ears, long ears, prick ears, cropped ears...truth is, there's a lot of variation in the breed, especially when dealing with dogs bred for performance rather than strictly for conformation. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is just my observation.
    ...and just for the record, the ADBA breed standard says:
    5. The length from the nose to the stop should equal the length from the stop to the back of the head.
    To me it doesn't look like she deviates from this standard at all. As a matter of fact, I personally don't see a single thing about her that deviates from the standard other than her weight, and actually in my humble opinion her conformation is relatively good. Here's the link to the ADBA standard if you are in doubt: http://yourpitbull.com/ADBA_Breed_Standard.htm
    I do, however see a lot of other Pits whose snouts are shorter than the standard.

4. I love a challenge! I would've snatched her up in a heartbeat!:D Sounds like she had tons of potential!

5. Mary_Jane

Mary_Jane Big Dog

Is posted as OR really is an apbt/vizsla mix are two different things IMO. Many pitbulls in rescues or shelters get posted as mixes with different less "dangerous" breeds so people would adopt them. Which is kinda sad actually :(

6. SMOKIN HEMI

SMOKIN HEMI CH Dog

That last picture does it she is mixed. Looks like a nice mutt though.....:)

7. The Teflon Don

The Teflon Don Big Dog

Yeah...she definitely had TONS of potential and it was really easy to redirect her attention to toys. I remember one day she made GREAT progress in the matter of minutes. Ol' girl was smart. Unfortunately, I was the only one really working with her, and I only have time to get to the shelter about once a week.

8. I see this ALL the time...there are a lot of rednose pits that come into AC that get labeled as Vizslas based solely on their color. It drives me up the wall!!! Why don't they just call it what it is? In my experience Vizslas are FAR more likely to bite than Pits, just because a lot of them are so neurotic. Funny thing is, if that dog happens to bite someone, all of a sudden it's a Pit again.:rolleyes: I've seen it happen before.

9. mastiffsj

mastiffsj Big Dog

Damn, I'm sorry I asked now. At least the shelter gives some of them a chance, the shelter here won't even put them on the adoption floor if they don't get along with other dogs.:mad:

10. The Teflon Don

The Teflon Don Big Dog

Yeah...the staff there is good...if they weren't I wouldn't go. Their pet of the month is actually laid back pit mix who's been there since November.

He's a great dog, and as a result has all the time he needs to find a good home.

Scarlet (dog in this thread) really was a handful and needed the right home...unfortunately most folks aren't committed enough to deal with a dog like her.

But in all honesty, its for the best...that girl could have been a headline if she ended up with someone who couldn't handle her. It was in the best interest of anything remotely related to a pit bull that this girl be put down.

11. mastiffsj

mastiffsj Big Dog

I agree, I have a female at my house right now with those issues, she won't even be available for adoption until I've worked more with her, she gets soooooo excited, jumps & nips....she hasn't been worked with before, but I know some idiot would see it as her trying to bite, so until she's under control she will not go anywhere.

12. chinasmom

chinasmom CH Dog

Is posted as OR really is an apbt/vizsla mix are two different things IMO. Many pitbulls in rescues or shelters get posted as mixes with different less "dangerous" breeds so people would adopt them. Which is kinda sad actually :(<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

My shelter very rarely puts one up for adoption and if they do, it becomes a terrier mix of some sort.

13. bahamutt99

bahamutt99 CH Dog

I can't really say that I see Viszla in her. She kinda reminds me of my girl Terra. The longer muzzle can come from straight APBT stock, doesn't have to be mixed in. She doesn't appear to have any of the other traits that are Viszla (big ears, long legs, deep narrow chest, semi-floppy lips, etc.)

14. Hi,
    That dog looks a lot like my dog. He is 39 pounds and I think he is a vizsla pit mix. Any ideas? sorry pics are not that great.

15. Drake

Drake Pup

Think she could she have been spayed real young?

16. p1tbull

p1tbull Big Dog

she looks real good. She looks young but her nipples are dangling, something i quite don't understand.