1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Thoughts on Rottweilers?

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by pitstop_Seb, Apr 13, 2016.

1. Sabong1

Sabong1 Big Dog

It's a no brainer! A "gamebred" APBT is the super athlete of the canine world. I guarantee a gamebred bulldog will have that Rottie squealing like a stuck pig!!!

2. Kenaii

Kenaii Pup

It all comes down to gameness. Sure a Rott is bigger and stronger than an APBT, but a game APBT will keep fighting regardless of injuries. A Rott will back down eventually. Basically, if a Rottweiler doesn't completely destroy the APBT in the first five minutes, he's fucked.

To answer your original question, I do like Rottweilers. I think they're awesome dogs and I'd love to own one some day.

Great looking pup btw, what's her name?

3. AGK

AGK Super duper pooper scooper Administrator

I was raised around them as a child up thru my later teens. My god mother whom was also my neighbor and favorite person to be around daily when I was growing up bred them so they were always around. I loved them other than the fact I am allergic to them. Very good protection dogs. They were from German lines. Ranged from 110 to 170lbs. Very loyal to their masters and would fuck your world up if you made a dumb move towards their owner. However in the 2nd picture shows one of my 3 month old pups, 20lb tops, that got into it over a bone with the 90 lb 1.5 year old rottie. That pup latched on to the side of that rotts face and it screamed and squelled. Wanted no part of the APBT. Those are just pups, an adult would in the end more times than not smash a rott in short order. The only proof I need of this is the simple fact if they were good against other dogs then they would too be used and since they are not, well, what more proof does one really need?

The reason they don't last against a bulldog is a simple explanation. While the rott will most likey dominate the first initial 10 to 15 minutes, it will tire, after that happens that bulldog is just warming up and will pick their big asses apart. As long as the bulldog don't sustain massive damage in those first 10 to 15 minutes. Rotts are not going to stay there very long once the tide turns, they will cur like most any other large breed will. If they were good as match dogs then obviously they would be used however they are not. Pretty basic idiology.

Me as a child with a female named Jenna, shes about 10 years old in the pic. Lol I'm probably about that age as well.

[​IMG]

The pup I was refering to and the 1.5 year old.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2016
  4. Uncle had a couple when i was younger, the female stood out ver protective of us kids from a young age, by 6 months old she could not be trusted alone, at 9 months killed a stray dog that wandered into her yard by the time she was 3 had to pretty much be on chain all day cause she wanted to kill anything that moved that wasnt a few trust 3-5 ppl

5. smalldog

smalldog Big Dog

When I was a kid with my first APBT on our daily walk and these punks had about a 150 pound rott and they let him go he rushed my dog from across the street my 50 pound APBT and that rott hit my took lunged for his throat latced on and was slamming that rott from one side to another like a big rag doll finally after about 2 minutes that rott was running away real fast..

6. AGK

They don't like to get bit back.....

7. Not really a fair comparison to compare a gamebred bulldog to a average rott.

8. CajunBoulette

CajunBoulette CH Dog

Lol if it isn't gamebred it ain't got a shot at being called a bulldog

9. AGK

You can compare them as if you have a middle of the road bulldog, game bum type dog to your average rottie. Or your best example of a rott against the best example of a bulldog. However one wants to take it. There is nothing even about it any way you look at it since the rottie outweighs the bulldog 3x over. Yet, they will still tire and cur way faster than even an average rough cur bulldog will more time than not. That rottie is not scratching after 15 whether it's the best example you can show or the worse. JMO and I've spent a lot of time around both. The rottie will bring down a man faster since that's more up their ally than dog on dog combat is. I think history has proven time and time again why the best dog for the box is the APBT. 2 totally different breeds bred for different things and that rottie isn't built to go the distance lIke that bulldog is.. Comparing the 2 in that venue is just like comparing apples to bacon.

10. BOTP Kennels

BOTP Kennels Big Dog

I have a video of a rot vs apbt..not really suitable for this site..but the video is 6 mins long..and the Rott gave up..I don't have anything against rotts and my best friend bred them for yrs as true working rots..but I think u guys are giving them to much credit saying they would even go for 10 mins..I've seen this more than once and never seen a rotts for over about 3-5 mins then give up..

11. BOTP Kennels

BOTP Kennels Big Dog

Hus father is in his 50s and been breeding then for decades..he had a male named Diablo about 160 pounds and did not discriminate..if u moved the wrong way he was on you.they own alot of land and he would leave for days but always come back..I remember being in high school and this mofo came back with a baby deer still alive..I still don't know how he managed to do that

12. slim12

slim12 Super Moderator Staff Member

The dogs (Rotts) I saw work best were always in the 100-115lbs for males an in the 90-100lb range. Just like bulldogs, just like people the bigger they get the less athletic they get.

When we did see the bigger rotts working it was like an intense session of bite work and then got to the shade tree to cool down and rest. The smaller dogs (110 or so) were more suited to long working sessions.

Granted either dog would destroy the average crook breaking into the family home. If you ever get the chance to put on a suit and take bites it is quite the rush. Don't pass it up.

Here is a sample of what I experienced. This does not make all the dogs in that breed cookie cutter, just what I have felt.

My first dog on my sleeve was a 150lb. Rott who had a lot of bite pressure, the weight of the dog pulls you down. The kicker is the good ones well trained ones maintain the same hold. Full mouth. The younger less experienced dogs will let go and re-grip and you are being pulled down. Hot dog spit on your face as he grabs the mask is quite intimidating.

The Malinois was way intense, high drive who bit with a lot of force. Very accurate and targeted the bite better than any I worked.

The APBT was in the 40's and he covered the sprint faster than any of the dogs. He hit the sleeve with a lot of force and of all the dogs the actual bite was the hardest on the sleeve. An old school Snooty/Pool Hall Red bred male to boot.

The Fila Brasileiros were the fiercest of all. Combine their fierceness with the fact they are not trained to target and they are in the 150lb plus range. They bite the first thing they get, they re-grip to the first thing as their body weight pulls you down. They usually end up in the face/head area. (Later we sat up a break in at our houses for each others dogs which was a really true test of the home protector)

The best over all was an American Bulldog. He was about 90-100lbs. He covered the sprint as near as fast as the APBT, his intensity on the sleeve was like the Malinois but the speed coupled with bodyweight was spectacular. I was in the 250-275 range back then at 6'3". I was planted and ready. The dog hit the sleeve, crashing into me and the first thing to hit the ground was my shoulders. He was the most impressive dog I have been hit by.

Sorry for the length.

S

13. slim12

This is one of my favorite non-favorite topics in the dogs. There is no scientific way possible to measure bite force. Impossible.

Take your numbers. 750 pounds of bite force. Did anyone ask the dog if he could bite any harder. Hell, maybe it is 1500 pounds.

If you place a measurement device in place it will measure bite force and the pull force of the dog as well. So a 220lb dog biting will have a 5 times advantage of his 45lb counterpart.

There is no way to measure bite force alone.

S

14. frogs

frogs Big Dog

Nice read. One question though, how did each of you enter the homes?

15. GK1

GK1 Big Dog

@slim12 - thanks for sharing the data.

Which of the dogs you tested, in your view, would actually target the human - and not the equipment (sleeve/suit)?

Needless to say, big-big difference.

16. AGK

I have seen plenty of kangals vs apbt when smart kennels site was still up. More times than not the Kangal lost. The times they did win it always looked like 150+ lb dog on someone's 40lb house pet that always looked hog fat. The difference I always believed was that all those other breeds will bounce the first time things are not going their way. They don't want to be there when things aren't working out in their favor and that's the major difference between a APBT and these other breeds. It's been beat to death on here for years. Lol anyone remember the slew of APBT vs this that or the other breed that ran a muck all over this site like 2 years ago. I do cuz I had to delete like 2 a day for months. Lol.

Sorry slim I meant to quote the post you quoted with the picture of the Kangal not your post. Too lazy to fix it lol. Good post though and that would be pretty cool to have a chance to wear the suit.

Every dog has his day but all in all, more times than not, the other breed isn't scratching back. I used to watch those videos constantly and the only time the other breeds won was if they killed the smaller dog fast. If it went more than 10 minute the other breeds always packed it in.
    Pound for pound, there isn't a better breed at that task. Been proven over and over again throughout the dogs history.

Tlahuicole_73 likes this.
  17. slim12

My buddy and I both had Fila Brasileiros at the time. He 'left' his house with the dog sleeping on the couch. I opened the door and abruptly entered. We pretty much flip flopped at each others houses.

I had a female that would more than likely kill and unarmed man. He had one too. I had another female who put on a big show, but her display was all she had to offer. Great pet, great display, no heart.

Once my wife came home and the front door would not open. She came in the back and the entire front side of our house was destroyed from the inside. The trim and door jamb were pulled apart. All the curtains and all the blinds were in the floor. Several windows were broken. The dog was cut too shit in the mouth. A blood batch along the front wall.

Voice mail pretty much said this UPS and we don't what the hell you have on the inside of that house, but we will not be delivering to your address any more.

She could go from the sweetest lap dog to a complete whack job in the blink of an eye.

S

18. slim12

All the dogs I did were trained to hit the sleeve/target the sleeve. Two exceptions. The Fila Brasileiros were not trained or conditioned to the sleeve. They pretty much bit the first thing offered to them. I worked a really advanced Malinois that could be sent with a sleeve command or a back of the leg command. She was like a guided-missile with sniper like accuracy.

This leads to another topic along the same lines. 99% of all dogs will choose flight over fight. Very few dogs have the nerve to stay and fight, especially defending something other than themselves. If you hang out with guys who work dogs one of the funniest topics is when people think their dog will defend them when the shit hits the fan. The most one can hope for is a bad-ass display, which in turn, is 99.9% of all the home security anyone will ever need.

I have never owned a bulldog who I thought would defend anything. I had one that had some human aggression issues and every other bulldog I have had would load up and go with anyone. They just love people.

S

19. slim12

This is very true. The other dog simply will not scratch back. If it is a scratching contest it is a 99.9999999% bulldog sweep. After ten minutes the percentages would only slightly improve for the non APBT. The best shot is in the first 10 minutes.

S

20. I had a friend who had a female rot and she was the sweetest dog, her name was Bella. Very docile. Love that the tail is still intact.