1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

thoughts on cane corsos?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by David L, Mar 29, 2010.

1. David L

David L Pup

Does anyone here have experience with the Cane Corso? I am curious to know what they are like. How their temperament, in general, compares with the presa canario and other types of molosser breeds. How trainable, health problems, etc.

2. Super Sport

Super Sport Big Dog

I have a spayed female house dog that is young (8-9 months) and probably not very well bred ( basically adopted her From some people), she is making a great family pet so far and that eats as much as two bulldogs. She has no health problems so far either, Only other molosser experience I have had is with a great dane we used to have and she does act alot like the dane did.

Attached Files:

3. Old Timer

Old Timer CH Dog

Like any other breed of dog, If you purchase one from good stock and folks that breed working Cane Corso I think you might like them.

4. Super Sport

Super Sport Big Dog

Exactly, completely agree if you are looking for a working dog and not a pet.

5. My cuzin had one he named zues I liked him a lot. Sad story he was stayin at his inlaws and the dog got loose in agoat pen ended up killing a half dozen billies . They put em down while my cuz was at work

6. mac 11

mac 11 Banned

I've worked this type of dog (from working lines) and to be honest I would not foster one these dogs, let alone buy one.Tthats just my opinion.

7. venom

venom Top Dog

elaborate if you would, this doesn't tell us much about the dog.

8. mac 11

mac 11 Banned

Whether I elaborate or not, its just my experience with the dogs. I don't like them period. They can be good guard dogs but, even then there are better dogs out there for that. I think people like them because of their size. Thats my opinion.

9. venom

venom Top Dog

No, I'm not saying you're right or wrong lol. I was asking to to elaborate, because i'm interested in why you do not like them... more details? I never owned one so i'm curious. I know a lady who breeds them in Ohio, was thinking about getting one in the past.

10. XXLbully

XXLbully Big Dog

[​IMG] this is a friends cane corso. I know of a few.
    I like what i've seen in some cane corsos, but most of em are just lazy dogs and are just a good deterrent due to their size. from what i've seen they can be a bit brutal and you have to really watchout if you have very young kids cuz the dog likes to play rough.
    I also know of a 9 yo cane corso still active and looking young, which is quite drivey but got no stamina and never really had.
    if your looking for a PP dog some i know do good, if its just a guard dog most do well.

11. Dream Pits

Dream Pits CH Dog

i think he is into hog hunting if i remember right from another thread. Any opinions on can corso in hunting? I have heard lack of stamina already...

12. Midnight Cowboy

Midnight Cowboy Big Dog

The problem with Cane corsa is finding "good" stock to get a pup from..alot of the U.S.A. bred dogs are crap. If hog hunting is your thing get a Fila or a dogo...obviously from good stock;). I would rather have the Presa over the Cane corsa much better gard dog. I have a friend who raises Presas imports his stock but it has been a while sense I spoke to him, but nobody was gonna get in his house thats for sure..at least they weren"t gonna leave alive that is.

13. viegas703

viegas703 Top Dog

The presa and dogo are awesome dogs.

14. Dream Pits

Dream Pits CH Dog

i dont want the problems that come with a presa, from what i've seen they are TOO GOOD at their job lol. If they werent DA they would be the perfect yard gaurdians. To put it lightly they will UCK someone up lol

15. Lee Robinson

Lee Robinson Big Dog

Some are ok, some are great, and some are terrible. The breed has a lot of variation.

16. David L

David L Pup

what do you mean by a lot of variation?

17. popper

popper CH Dog

they are big on rank drive i find...

18. venom

venom Top Dog

i think he means what he d escribed. the kind of dog you get can vary, good, bad, great.

19. deepsouth

deepsouth Big Dog

From what I've been told, they are only a hand full of cane corso kennels that produce quality animals (in the US). Supposedly the breed has a lot of health and temperament issues. Choose your puppy's breeder wisely.

20. Super Sport

Super Sport Big Dog

The female that I have is nothing more than a large yard ornament, lol. She does bark when someone comes up which is all I want her for, But as far as protecting I don't see it happening. She has little if any prey drive. She is just a pet nothing more, from the research I have found that a serious protection work prospect for the breed are hard to find, she is smart in the manner that she was easy to house and crate train. Bulldogs are my passion anyway anything else is just second place in my opinion but mine are to friendly to be guard dogs.:)