1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

NY: This Police Pit Bull Is Bucking the Trend

Discussion in 'Pit Bull News' started by Vicki, Nov 5, 2015.

1. Vicki

Vicki Administrator Staff Member

This Police Pit Bull Is Bucking the Trend
    by Hedy Phillips 11/04/15

You don't often see Pit Bulls working with a police force, and after learning about Kiah, we can't figure out why.

Kiah is a rescued Pit Bull that works as a narcotics detection dog with Officer Justin Bruzgul in Poughkeepsie, NY. Before entering the force, she went through a training process in Texas, where Bruzgul first met her.

"I can honestly say that Kiah and I began to bond instantly, which is very important for a K-9 handler," he said. He added that he can tell that all she wants to do is work.

Unfortunately, Pit Bulls have gotten and continue to get a bad rap as far as dog breeds go. They're often viewed as aggressive and uncontrollable, even downright scary. But the Poughkeepsie Police Department is more than happy with its K-9 companion, whose training and placement in New York were made possible by Animal Farm Foundation, a nonprofit that works for equal treatment for Pit Bulls.

"We will have no problem making our community a safer place and showing everyone that Pit Bull dogs are just as good as any other dog," Bruzgul said. "I am hoping that our story will open the door for other law enforcement departments and they will consider utilizing Pit Bull dogs for police work."

[​IMG]
    Image Source: Courtesy Justin Bruzgul

2. bluedoglover

bluedoglover Top Dog

1. so MORE manbiters? not good.
    2. that thing is not only FAT but does not look like a pit too me

3. GK1

GK1 Big Dog

Where does the article associate this dog with 'man work'? For that matter I've never heard of an APBT (or variant thereof) used for tracking/apprehension in US LE.

The dog got a second chance at life and the PD saved the taxpayers some $$ on not having to import a fancy Euro Mal/GS etc.

Dog may be oversized but not necessarily fat for dope work. As for his partner...

A good story in my book.

4. Kenaii

Kenaii Pup

Well, it did say that the dog is gonna be a narcotics detection dog. So that's mostly tracking and scentwork, not actually attacking people.

But yeah, the dog looks like some kind of bully mix, not an APBT.

Still, a pretty good story. Nice to see a dog get a home, regardless of what breed he happens to be.

5. bluedoglover

bluedoglover Top Dog

my bad. though i've seen bandogs used for it.
    though i will remain with my opinion that the best should be used for each job... but then if you asked me, sulimov dogs would be in every police department along with light weight bandogs.