1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

This is what this site is about!

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by Marty, Jul 16, 2006.

1. mydawgs

mydawgs CH Dog

I have pet bulls, and I hear so much wisdom in simms posts, I really like what him and the watcher, Mia, 14, Rock have to say. I always take great care to LISTEN to my favorite doggers.....I have learned so much from them. We have the privelege of knowing a few doggers here at home, that is how we got our boy...he is 11 now and I have to say has been a near perfect pet, although he comes from some very nice stock. I think the doggers will have to provide the basis for the solution to the pit bull problem today.....may it be good or bad to us pet bull owners. Solutions have to be based in experience, and pet bull owners just don't have the depth the doggers do. What the pet bull owners bring to the equation is the "now". So when a solution is being formulated the characteristics of the "now" can be factored in. No envoronment will stay the same, combing old wisdom with new is our best chance of helping this breed to survive....and all must be prepared for sacrifice.

On a more focused point, the site is assisted by it's members, however for the most part Marty and Shon shoulder the responsibility (fiscal and administrative)....my recommendation for those who no longer like what they see here, open your check book, clear your schedule and start your own site.

To the doggers here .... thank you and continue to teach, I promise to continue to learn, for my fellow pet bull owners, lets stay focused, safe and do our part to continue the existance of our APBT!!!!!

2. Attila

Attila Guest

I do enjoy our young well studied folks here. Especially those that are willing to stand up and say what is on their minds and state it as it is. A very nice change to what we often run into in the public in other places. Sure some of us bap heads now and then but that is good to get out a difference in oppinion with out cutting a arm off in the process.

3. Michele

Michele Guest

I appreciate being accepted here even though I don't own an apbt. I've learned alot, made a few friends. This site has some really educated apbt owners here. You have helped my fight against BSL...

4. puregame

puregame Big Dog

Hey there XxKonnectionsx been a long time :o) Happy to still see you're here. Just wanted to say I totally agree 100%.

And to Marty ...reguardless of the game-breed/pet-bull dispute, I still think that this is the best APBT site on the net... keep up the good work buddy.

puregame

5. 440rider

440rider Guest

This is much needed and a very important goal that every one of you dog owners should stand behind! IMO this takes higher priority than yakkin about who's dog does what and who's bulldog is the real deal....there are outlets for that and it doesnt need to be a matter of public opinion.

Everyone has made past mistakes and will make future ones and it is here that they can learn that what they did wrong and how to correct it.

The BIGGEST problem affecting this breed by a law stand point is the BSL's, why is there BSL's .....because of people getting attacked by loose dogs.... why are their loose dogs? Because people dont take measures to keep these animals properly contained. The proplem is not the cities or the legislators or the dogs..... it's the owners....Get that point across to the human behind the dog and you wont have so many problems with this breed.

IMO I rather have this site dedicated to the education of the public about these dogs than the aspect of gameness. Without it being legal to own these dogs anything else doesnt really matter. Like i said before all of those aspect of these dogs are on a need to know basis and IMO everyone doesnt need to know!

I dont call myself a dogman I own a few bulldogs and do right by em and enjoy all aspects of this breed I'm not really here to chat it up or make friends I like obtaining knowledge and spreading it.....

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2007
  6. bakergary

bakergary Pup

This is what I understood when I joined. This is why I joined. I wanted to meet people that loved the dogs as good companions.

7. Lethalpits

Lethalpits Top Dog

I've never really got into online forums or anything, but I use to check out pictures and articles on here, so I decided to join one day. I learned alot from here. The bickering might turn some people away, but hell we are APBT owners, even at shows we have a lot of bickering and disagreements.

As far as petbulls vs. working dogs, there's always going to be differences, but it's also good to hear from two sides of the story. Like Stratton said, petbull owners are usually the ones on the forefront opposing BSL and showing the world how loving these dogs can be, while the working doggers are preserving the athlete.

It's like owning horses. Do you ride, exercise and work your horse or do you let it chill in the stable alot, eat and trot around the land? Either way your a horse owner.

I myself am partial to working dog owners, as that's what I've been around. It wasn't till recently I became interested in conformation dogs. My dogs aren't pure game bred, more scattered than anything, but they still will work.
    I use my male for fun show hang time competitions and will start weight pull. Same with another female I've got. My dogs have to be able to work/compete in something! Plus these dogs prepared me for what's coming to me in June.

Anyway, I don't think this site has turned into nothing but petbull owners. I think there for a minute, the working doggers weren't responding as much, but it's hard to leave this site alone!

8. Scotsman

Scotsman Top Dog

I have definetly seen this site shift more towards "pit bull" type dogs than APBT's. I was really psyched when I found this site a few years ago and still enjoy the site, but is definetly has changed over those years.
    I find it sad that there are so many people on here that read the posts and give advice, but still go out and do the wrong thing.

9. mydawgs

mydawgs CH Dog

Yes Scotsman, but that is the nature of PEOPLE!!!! Look at the debate of the practice of culling manbiters....and that debate was between doggers, and that data was from doggers.....people will always try to look right, but some will do what works best for them personally.

Pit Bull vs Pet Bull, it's all about respect for those that know, but even those that know don't always agree and don't always do the right thing. Hell if I were a serious dogger I'd be lettin all us Pet Bull folk be layen down cover for me as much and as long as they wanted to...as long as they followed the proper care and breeding practices for these dogs.....

10. jeeperino

jeeperino CH Dog

Its a no win situation. Either u have the mindset to [] a dog or u dont. The people with the [] mentality are by far the minority on this site or any other apbt site.

It is VERY HARD to try and convince either side that one side is right. Like I said, NO WIN.

11. Scotsman

Scotsman Top Dog

That is the problem, the majority of Pet Bull owners aren't doing the right things.
    They make up excuses for HA dogs, they refuse to understand what a real APBT is and how you have to deal with them.
    What works for them isn't usually what should be done and people on here refuse to see that. Breeding sub-standard dogs and so forth.
    Pet Bull owners might might stand up for BSL, but at the same time they are going against alot of the old ways of dealing with these dogs.
    I know a lot of people wont agree with me, but that is how it is.

12. mydawgs

mydawgs CH Dog

The only thing I object to is your generalization of folks that own Pet Bulls.....or shall we say dogs that don't do traditional work. Lumping all of us together that don't do what the old timers did is like lumping all the old timers together with dogger wanna bes...which I would never do. I don't ask you to agree with my beliefs, but I resent being told I don't respect the standards that "the keepers of the breed" hold sacred. Lots of us that don't traditionally work our dogs support the old ways....we also don't object to having the opportunity to own a great dog, every now and then......I have been that lucky. Solving the problems of this breed will take collaboration - not condemnation, but hey it's your choice. Either way I'm gonna try to follow the example my role models have set for me, as I trust they are the folks that know best - and yet I don't see them on this site pointing fingers, just educating...they will always have my respect for that, and that is why I will always listen to what they have to say.

13. I disagree....I think a few little wins, and some people get another point of view. And that gives the Idea his right.

14. Scotsman

Scotsman Top Dog

I do point fingers because I am tired of seeing these CKC Bluff breeders on here giving people advice and turning around and breeding Big Pieces of Garbage. These people don't care anything about the breed, if they did they wouldn't be breeding their garbage dogs.

15. mydawgs

mydawgs CH Dog

Well OK then, I would say open your mind, choose your words carefully and be careful who you point your finger at...don't point your Pet Bull damning finger at me or at several others on this site that don't traditionally work our dogs, but support the APBT in it's true form and those that keep it that way... If you call all those that don't traditionally work our dogs Pet Bull owners and you condemn Pet Bull owners for the offenses in your post, be very careful, because you are spitting at folks that support the preservation of the APBT in it's standard form. If you are bitching about people who don't follow the proper breeding practices, then say so....but ONE MORE TIME don't lump those who don't traditionally work our dogs in that bucket please. We are all for the APBT as it was meant to be, and you through your generalizations are being very offensive to those of us that support the very principle you are defending...Pet Bull or not......you get what I'm sending your way!!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2007
  16. Grizzly

Grizzly Big Dog

Scotman your arguement is weak. The majority of dogs bred today are not fulfilling the purpose they were created for.What percentage of owners of Alaskan Malamutes or Siberian Huskies actually sled them?? Same with Mastiffs, Great Danes, Chows,Newfoundlands etc...how many are actually used for the purpose they were created? In the case of the pit bull, just because it was fought in the past doesn't mean it is ANY less a pit bull if it is not fought today. Just because something was done in the past doesn't mean it was right. Look at slavery or the Salem witch trials, does it make it right because at one time people sincerely believed they were doing the right thing in those cases ? Stop looking down your nose at people who differ with you.

17. Scotsman

Scotsman Top Dog

Umm, yeah, in their original form? That is why there are so many monstrosities out there.

18. mydawgs

mydawgs CH Dog

What is the implication of this statement??????? It is a bit cryptic and makes no sense, hell buddy if your gonna debate make your points clear. What the hell does this statement have to do with those of us that OWN PET BULLS...eeerrrrrr maybe rescues, imagine that those bad ole pet bull people saving a pit bull type dog from the big blue needle created by those BYBs, or in Hoydon's case her pet bull helps her with her disability - DAMN service dog...yet we will all tell you WE BELIEVE IN HERITAGE OF THE APBT...........so again what is your point??????

19. Scotsman

Scotsman Top Dog

You don't get it, like the majority of people on this site.

20. mydawgs

mydawgs CH Dog

I would say you don't get it because you cannot write it down, that tells me you don't know what you mean, so let me help you here....your bitch is with BYBs or breeders that breed APBTs for something other than performance, not to the APBT standard. You cannot even stick it to the breeders of the Am Staffs because they DON'T claim to breed A) working dogs or B) APBTs...they breed Am Staffs different breed.

How you make the jump from this BREEDING issue to Pet Bulls is still UNCLEAR, you have not connected the dots. I have a Pet Bull, I don't breed him, I take care of him properly and don't let him run around makin the front page.....so it looks like I do get it.

You still have no valid point to make.....