1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

this is interesting.....

Discussion in 'APBT Bloodlines' started by Pitbull219, Nov 24, 2006.

1. Pitbull219

Pitbull219 CH Dog

So, I was looking thru my girl's ped, and I came across this dog back in the 10th gen: http://www.apbt.online-pedigrees.com/public/printPedigree.php?dog_id=42386

I found the little blurb about the dog being used to stabilize "Old Family" strain thru Wilder's Red Satan (also in their ped) intriguing, so I did some quick research and found this site: http://www.angelfire.com/ca2/centralvalley/
    and that was all I could find concerning "OFBA" Does anyone have any more info on these dogs, and if this line is still being bred by anyone?

Thanx in advance

2. ChAnimal

ChAnimal Big Dog

Why do you care about something 10 gens back? A dog 10 gens back is practically not contibuting anything to the gene pool.

3. ABK

ABK Rest In Peace

I think he's just wanting the info for "gee whiz" purposes.

If my memory serves, the OFBA was the Old Family Breeders' Association. They either disbanded or went underground. They used to have a website, but it is dead now. You may be able to find out more about them here:

http://www.voy.com/58069/

I know folks from OFBA used to post on that board a lot.

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2006
    shadyridgekennel likes this.
  4. Aurora

Aurora Pup

Here's an example of CVK's / Norrod Hemphill crossed over Morgan's OFRN

http://www.apbt.online-pedigrees.com/public/printPedigree.php?dog_id=147318

Another ped using Hemphill / Wilder / OFBA blood

http://www.apbt.online-pedigrees.com/public/printPedigree.php?dog_id=190031

Personally i don't know anything about the OFBA dogs other than what i've read and that's limited . The Norrod based CVK dogs i know to be good representatives of the breed , solid dogs with good temperments . I hope you find the knowledge you seek , it's an exciting journey doing the research and ultimately experiencing a true representative of the OFRN strain . Good luck !

shadyridgekennel likes this.
  5. I understand this (this is pitbull219 btw, on Shady's pc at the moment) Mostly for shits and giggles. I found it to be interesting, and didn't know much about what I was looking at. Thanx to Aurora and ABK for helping me in my quest for knowledge.....

6. Aurora

Aurora Pup

7. jadedpitgirl

jadedpitgirl Top Dog

I would love to know more about the OFBA as well. Any one with any info at all?

8. Aurora

Aurora Pup

November-December 1997 by THE TRAILDRIVER

Old Family Red Nose

I am going to write this in response to some very untrue advertising put out by CEDARBROOK KENNELS about a game RED SHREDDER. The ad states, "SHREDDER is the only HEMPHILL/WILDER/SARONA Old Family Red Nose contracted dog in recent years to go over 40 minutes by going 1:10. He is crawling game, intelligent, stable, conformation correct with good ability.
    Now here is a dog that loses 1:10. And through the grapevine, I here picked up before he quit. Let me talk about my friends of the OFBA out west and another friend of mine at Southern Pride Combine.
    First in the summer of 1992, Lano & Emas Homeboy The Red, loses game in 32 minutes making a very game scratch causing the Captain of The Dream Team to comment that the best dog had probably lost that night. Homeboy was OFBA breeding and its down from Hemphill's RED SATAN.
    Next to Morgan's RUSTY. He goes in the fall and is picked up game in 50 minutes. Unfortunately RUSTY didn't get home that night, he died shortly after the match. A very game dog from the HEMPHILL bloodline.
    In the fall of 1993 we come out with HOMEBOY'S brother FLATLINER. FLATLINER is 2 pounds lighter than BCC'S NEWS who was a very talented dog. In this match FLATLINER had his front leg broken at 15 minutes, by 30 minutes the right wrist was broken. At 1:05 FLATLINER made a game stumbling scratch. He did take a 5 count before going across, but the light that was being carried around was 5 feet behind the other dog with a big shadow across NEWS who was a black dog. I was very impressed with the gameness of this dog especially considering the amount of punishment that was delivered to him.
    Next one being HOMEBOY THE RED out again and although the conditioning wasn't the best they went ahead with the match. At 45 minutes HOMEBOY took a dump in the pit. This match was a very intense battle and at 1:40 HOMEBOY is counted out crossing the pit and died shortly afterwards.
    Now next to the next generation. We have RED SONJA who is off FLATLINER and BULL FRISKY who is a Sarona bred bitch. RED SONJA is 2.5 pounds lighter and wins this one in 26 minutes.
    Four months later RED SONJA goes into a very good Boyles/Cowboy cross. RED SONJA was 1.5 pounds under weight. In this match RED SONJA was behind for a good hour or more, she took tremendous damage to the chest. SONJA came from way behind in this match to win. This match was very fast paced and no out of holds or turns until we call a weak turn at 1:58 on the other dog, so we could get the scratching started. Their dog couldn't scratch at 2:12 and SONJA made hers. Again we lost SONJA the next afternoon and MOKIE died 10 minutes after the show.
    We had another son of FLATLINER and a sister to RED SONJA, RED SIR was an excellent confirmation dog belonged to my wife, so after rolling him hard we decided to put him on the ADBA show circuit until he championed out. Then we would show him seriously. He died in a tragic kennel accident and broke his neck. When my daughter found him he was still hanging on the other dog.
    This is just a good example of some very good Red-Red Nose dogs that I have been around recently. So contrary to what CEDARBROOK says when I get ready to use more red dogs you can bet they will come from OFBA or SOUTHERN PRIDE KENNELS.

Another article written by the OFBA

Dan Hanna was the one to start this whole process of retaining
    the old "SATAN" dog. It was his desire to bring the old family back into a competitive environment thur intense breeding program. And to this day it is possible that he may still have semen on this dog...I do know that it was stored...but it has been many years and I do not know if he ever used it.
    Dan, when he left Ca. left dogs for Farkas & myself with boxes of info on what he was doing with our help. There were other partners in Northern Ca....But Hanna was the glue that held it together.
    Currently, we are raising heavy "SATAN" pups with 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16 out. It has been tough cleaning up this blood, and the very tightly bred dogs still showing knee problems at the rate of 3 out of 10. We are adding out and boiling the "SATAN" genes over the results. The new "SATAN" hybrids are better acting stronger more powerful dogs but still run deep, deep game with the dark red copper color that they are known for...this is what we call a "Genetic Wash" selectively using only the best. Looking at the dogs and working to clean up the blood so that only the dogs that have clean temperament, structure and the correct thought process are used in the breeding program.
    We sell occasionally... but it is not greed that keeps the dogs in our yards...it is desire to only let the best out. Because we are very selective about what is added and how these dogs are to be bred we have developed a stand off attitude.... But we are still working with some who have a non bullshit approach to breeding these dogs...We do not breed PAPER...that is the first thing one must understand. "SATAN" is the common denominator and our link to the old Hemphill dog.

These are historical articles , historical in the sense that only remnants remain of the OFBA dogs and not tried and true representatives of the breed

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2006