1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

this fat bitch....

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by D.R KING, Jun 12, 2005.

1. D.R KING

D.R KING GET OFF MY LINE...

My new female is kinda on the fat side, lol i mean when she sits down i see rolls over her legs. lol its kinda cute but i gotta get her in shape. Well, I tried doing the same things i do with king and kain. I make her run along side the bike, play with her, anything to keep her busy. I can tell shes not used to things like that. She's tired in 30 minutes!! Mainly i think its because she not in shape, she's just a fat little thing. Prolly 15 pounds over weight.

I tired feeding her fish but she wont eat it, she needs that protein, any other raw meat that can give her protein?

2. kimbel2392

kimbel2392 Big Dog

You said "your new female"-

How old is she?

Did they fix her? Spayed dogs put on that kind of weight

Feed her as recommended on dog food bag and not how mush she eats when you sit it in front of her

These may be your problems because apbt aren't USUALLY overweight

3. rocksteady

rocksteady I'll drink to that..

maybe you should also take the workouts down a notch until she adjusts to it, too

overworking will do nothing for her. If she's not use to it or tired at 30 mins, you might be working her too hard and thats not good. Walking, with the fetch, etc might be her best bet.. but you have to gradually build it up

as for the raw food / protein, Im sure someone can answer that..

4. D.R KING

D.R KING GET OFF MY LINE...

No she's not fixed, she's about 2 1/2, i got her from some family members, they just fed her and thats that. She's never been worked in her whole life...lol

5. Zoe

Zoe CH Dog

I just got in two fosters that were very overweight. I just started at one cup of food twice a day, left them on that for a week. I moved them down to 3/4 cups twice a day and I'm going to leave them at that for a couple weeks and see how they do. If she has never been worked I wouldn't push her to hard till she looses some pounds. In the three weeks I have had these girls the one has balanced out quite nice at 3/4 cups a day while the other lost alot she still has alot to go. Slowly build up her exercise to her tolerance level. It's a bit of a balancing act as once she get down to a better weight and is more active her food intake may increase.

6. TxDogger

TxDogger Big Dog

Meat Meat Any Meat Is Protein, Fish Of Course Is The Least Fattening, But All Meat Is High In Protein, But In This Buldging Bulldog I Would Just Stick With The Reg. Dog Food And Just Decrease Until You Find The Balance As Zoe Said. About The Exercise I Am Suprised She Made It 30min At A Weight That Excesive. Your Lucky She Didn't Kill Over. I Would Stick With Something Simple Like 10min Bike Work And Some Play To Cool Her Down At Least Until Some Of The Rolls Are Gone.. Good Luck With Her

7. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

Slow & steady exercise is the way to go. There's no pushing it when it comes to getting into shape...the right way. Just build up slow. More long walks, fewer hard sprints.

And this is a myth. I've never had a fixed animal get overweight. Some spayed/neutered animals might have a slower metabolism thereby requiring fewer calories, but dogs can't eat unless we feed them. Therefore, WE make them fat.

8. Flipside

Flipside CH Dog

Reduce her feed by 1/2 and walk her an hour a day! No strenuous work...she is not ready!

9. Zoe

Zoe CH Dog

No doubt. My 12 year old spayed bitch is nice and lean and active. When she was first fixed she pudged up a bit but I lowered her intake and as time went by her metabolizm balanced out. You have to feed them according to what they need.

10. the_flamingo

the_flamingo Top Dog

I agree with everyone else on this one. The spayed rescue girl I have does just fine. She's not over or under weight. You just have to watch how much you feed and exercize them.