1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Thirsty all the time....

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by mydawgs, Feb 9, 2010.

1. mydawgs

mydawgs CH Dog

My boy is an APBT, he is going on 13. He is a St. Bennidicts/MM cross but big like the St. B dogs. He has been on raw for many years. He also gets 3 salmon oil, 1 400 iu vita e and 1/4 tsp synflex for arthritis in his shoulder. He gets raw with his water every night. Recently he has been scavenging for water. Trying to get into the toilet, outside he will lick rain water or snow. After someone showers he is in the shower stall licking the water. I am hoping it is the fact that the heat runs non-stop (so he gets dry) because of how cold it has been, but I am having blood work done on him next week. I am afraid of diabetese or kidney disease. Has anyone ever experience anything similar in a dog this age?

2. c-murda

c-murda Big Dog

At that age kidney disease is a concern. A Major concern.

3. popper

popper CH Dog

yea man get hiom checked out .. good luck..... how long have you had him on raw? but it sounds like it could be somehting with the kidneys

4. mydawgs

mydawgs CH Dog

5 years on raw

5. popper

popper CH Dog

how has he done on raw .. any complaints?

6. oldtymer

oldtymer Top Dog

One of my old dogs at the age of 12 started drinking lots of water,but he was wetting himself when lead down asleep. That was the start of kidney failure. But i'm no vet and i would say there is a few problems your dog might or might not have,so the vet is the best way to go that way at least you'll know one way or the other.

7. AGK

AGK Super duper pooper scooper Administrator

Best advice given......;) (not by you of course but on this topic.....:D

8. Naustroms

Naustroms CH Dog

Sounds like kidneys. Let us no how the bloodwork goes, hopefully its nothing serious.

9. Old Timer

Old Timer CH Dog

Sounds like kidneys to me as well, In humans this is often a sign of diabetes.

10. ccourtcleve

ccourtcleve Big Dog

I would let your mind rest until the bloodwork comes back. It could be kidney issues, or diabetes, but all we can do is speculate. :)

Older dogs can have so many different issues!

11. mydawgs

mydawgs CH Dog

He has done well on raw, my vet apt got pushed to next week because of the freakin blizzard....I almost don't want to know, I love this ole dawg!

12. popper

popper CH Dog

I bet man ....13 years is a long time .... i am very close with my dogs, i condsider them family. How is he doing ?

13. Deniz

Deniz Big Dog

Good luck with him..

14. mydawgs

mydawgs CH Dog

Other than being thirsty all the time, he still runs around like a puppy...he spars with my female Staff and he is just a sweet dawg...I get teary every time I think about it. He is having more accidents in the house because he is drinking more. His eyes are cloudy and his muzzle is grey but he is still built like a brick sh*t house....you would never know he is old until you got close...he stays in good shape.

I have a mobile vet because I have 5 animals...so he is coming for their check ups this friday and to do his blood work and we will go from there.

15. popper

popper CH Dog

Let us know how it goes ... good luck man.... that is amazing he is 13 and he still active ... thats badass.

16. mydawgs

mydawgs CH Dog

Vet comes today....send this ole boy your prayers please.....

He is a big part of my heart!!!!!

PB Community is the best!

17. mydawgs

mydawgs CH Dog

Just got the call from the vet, he said Buddys blood work looks better than his :)!!!!!! This ole dawg is just thirsty.....YEE HAW!

Thanks for all the well wishes!

My boy is just fine.

18. Dream Pits

Dream Pits CH Dog

Congrats man, i bet that first breath after hearing that felt fantastic! Im truly happy for you. Words cant describe how i felt when i lost my first 2 bulldogs so i hate hearing about people losing theirs. Not many dogs like a man( or women) and his(her) dog

19. popper

popper CH Dog

damn man .... thats great.. i was pulling for ya

i remeber when one of my dogs got parvo and passed at the vet , then a week passed so another one of my dogsgot parvo and she went to the vet . boy i got that call 3 days later and i thought she was a def. goner and when he said she is doing great just skin and bones i went crazy.... was a great feeling

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2010
  20. popper

popper CH Dog

how old were they ? if you dont mind me asking?