1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

They enhanced OUR BREED

Discussion in 'APBT History' started by YoungLion, Apr 24, 2006.

1. YoungLion

YoungLion Big Dog

i have read of and heard of BREEDER of old who never matched a dog ,but were not only successful breeders , they consistantly or at least often were reponsible for some of the best dogs to look threw a collar.

whats your take on these men?was it all LUCK in your opinion? what was their secret? who comes to mind?

i hope this is topic that is acceptable if not delete it no hard feelings.

God bless

2. chinasmom

chinasmom CH Dog

A lot of it had to be knowledge, with some luck thrown in there too. The dogs were studied. Their weeknesses were vanished, and the srtongness was greatened.So, I guess you had to know what you are looking for in the dog. I think Carver had the right idea. I liked his dogs of old.

3. YoungLion

YoungLion Big Dog

thanx for the feedbck.

GOD BLESS

4. If they never matched a dog they used Action -men for that...or they get constantly dogs from other Breeder who matched their dogs sometimes to prof the own line.Only breed dogs like rabbits and get a game dog after another is impossible.

5. chinasmom

chinasmom CH Dog

What?????????

6. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

I would be intresting in hearing some names of SUCCESFUL breeders, who CONSISTENTLY produced gamedogs, and not just the average fluke. And further, limit that list to men who didnt acquire their dogs already proven, and didnt listen to the new pups owners as to how the dogs worked and adjusted his breeding practices accordingly.

7. runt

runt Big Dog

I read that Mr. CUMMINGS never officially matched one but he put them in the hands of some good dog men.He would purchase match dogs and breed them to his stock.His claim for not matching one is that if they came from a line of match dogs,then they should be able to produce match dogs.(THE STORY OF WILLIAMS' CH.PALADIN)

8. Rockstar

Rockstar CH Dog

Yup, just because someone never matched a dog, it doesn't mean that his dogs weren't being matched.

9. YoungLion

YoungLion Big Dog

"ONE of the historical breeders who has always been of particular interest to me was D.A. McClintock of Oklahoma. AS FAR AS I HAVE BEEN ABLE TO ASCERTAIN,McClinock never matched a dog,yet his accomplishments as a breeder were extraodinary,and his line of dogs were in particular demand by the dog men of his day." quoted from writting of Stratton.

i dont have a list,and i doubt the list would be long if ascertained.my reason for starting this thread was to hear if anyone had further knowledge of these rare BREEDERS who did and still do exist. if i led anyone to believe i was the authority on this topic i apologize.

thanx for the feedback RUNT.

"Anyway, the question is how do we get around this filial degeneration which looms as such a great obstacle to what we are trying to accomplish.Well the answer isTO BREED TO A QUALITY LINE AND TO RAISE THE AVERAGE OF THE LINE. that means NEVER breeding to CURS and ALLWAYS using quality inividuals" by stratton

God bless

10. Remo

Remo Pup

This kind of talk may prove very harmfull in the long run. Those men may not have matched dogs themselves, for what ever reassons! Perhaps they where too lazy, perhaps they did not have competition nerves, or whatever. But they lived in a completely different enviorment! They where not sitting on their ass doing "lucky breedings" thats for sure! I am sure they where active visiting shows often and having contact with a lot of people. And in many other ways making sure that they bred to the right dogs, and making sure their pups went in the right hands.

To day, this is not possible in the same way for various reassons, that I am sure I do not need to explain. But dont even try to think they tought that it is possible to sit on the ass and be a "great breeder of gamedogs" without constantly making sure that you have the right stock and are doing the right thing.