1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

These got damn fleas again!

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Laced Wit Game, Jul 22, 2010.

1. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

anyways frontline just aint cuttin it! im thinkin of trying the comfortis but jesus christ $100 for 6 pills? and that aint even touchin ticks.

i think ima go with tom garner on this one and give the termidor a shot!

what you folks think? and where the hell can i get it, cuz i checked my local home depot and no luck!

also...

ive been hearin bout these cow tags with insect shit on em, what you think of the cow tag idea fastened to the collar?

2. Diatomaceous Earth (DE) - Pit Bull Forums

Diatomaceous Earth, Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth for Flea Control, Garden Pest

Spread it ALL over their chainspots, rub it into your dog's coat, even give it to them (1 tsp once daily) in their food. I put it in some peanut butter since the mutts have automatic feeders.

Has been working great for years. A 50 lb. bag is $25.00 plus $25.00 shipping. Lasts me 2 years for a handful of mutts; hell of a lot cheaper and more effective than Frontline, Buffalo spray, whatever chemical you use. Make sure you get food grade, not the chemical grade used in pools.

3. wardogkennels

wardogkennels Top Dog

I have had the worst flea problem recently this year then I have ever had. I only have 5 dogs in the back yard and the fleas are killing only one of them. I have been using Adam's Flea and tick spray on her and she seems to be clearing up.

4. MCS

MCS CH Dog

I will say only thing that has worked here in Florida is Advantage, in MD natural or frontline was good enough, in Las Vegas nothing was fine.....but florida must have super fleas nothing has worked except Adavantage. That shit is 42 bucks for 6.

5. SlaughterHouse

SlaughterHouse Big Dog

I use the ortho max tree and shrub. It has the same active ingredent as advantage and works great. I had been struggling with fleas all year. Used it and have really slowed them down dramaticaly. So this is what I use.

Advantage® is a 9.1 percent solution of imidacloprid for topical application in dogs and cats. It is supplied in the form of applicator tubes in 4- or 6-packs.

K9 Advantix® contains imidacloprid (same concentration as above) combined with permethrin. This product is only for use in dogs.

Dosing Information

Medication should never be administered without first consulting your veterinarian.

The dose of imidacloprid is based on the weight of the dog. Tubes/pipettes are available in sizes of 0.4 ml (for dogs under 10 pounds), 1 ml (for dogs 11 to 20 pounds), 2.5 ml (for dogs 21 to 55 pounds), and 4 ml (for dogs over 55 pounds). One tube of appropriate size should normally be applied topically every 30 days.

For cats, tubes/pipettes are available in sizes of 0.4 ml (for cats and kittens under 9 pounds) and 0.8 ml (for cats and kittens over 9 pounds). The medication is normally applied once monthly.

Imidacloprid can be used more frequently than every 30 days in severe infestations but it should not be applied more frequently than once a week.

The duration of administration depends on the condition being treated, response to the medication and the development of any adverse effects. Be certain to complete the prescription unless specifically directed otherwise by your veterinarian. Even if your pet appears to feel better, the entire treatment program should be completed to prevent resurgence of the infestation.

now, I'm not a vet or a scientist, BUT if the dosage is based on the imidacloprid being 9.1% and the stuff in the Ortho Max Tree and Shrub is 1.47% then that means it is about 6.19x stronger. so if I take the dosages shown and multiply them by 6.19 this is the result:

<TABLE><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top>Advantage</TD><TD vAlign=top>Ortho Max Tree & Shrub</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top>0.4 ml (for dogs under 10 pounds)</TD><TD vAlign=top> 2.476ml </TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top>1 ml (for dogs 11 to 20 pounds) </TD><TD vAlign=top> 6.19ml </TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top>2.5 ml (for dogs 21 to 55 pounds)</TD><TD vAlign=top> 15.476ml </TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top>4 ml (for dogs over 55 pounds) </TD><TD vAlign=top> 24.76ml </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

I plan on using about 15ml for most of my dogs (most are around 40-45 pounds on my yard). Also, the directions on the Bayer site for Advantage say to apply to the belly if possible but you can also start at the tail and apply with the syringe up towards the neck trying to keep in contact with the skin since it works through skin oil absorption.

6. MCS

MCS CH Dog

Thanks for the info SlaughterHouse! I will look into it.

7. Laced you will be better off shooting them!

8. POLO187

POLO187 Pup

I use Bayer Advanced - Tree & Shrub. Looking good so far!

9. Cynthia

Cynthia Top Dog

You do realize that the active ingredient in Termidor is fipronil. Yes that is the same active ingredient that is in Frontline. So if Frontline is not working for you probably Termidor will not either.

Also Comfortis does not work on ticks it is a flea only product and that is on the label. And can not be used with off label ivermectin because of the adverse side effects.

Using Termidor is just like using Bayer, Ortho, or Gordon's Tree and Shrub. Termidor is the agricultural Frontline. And Bayer, Ortho, or Gordon's Tree and Shrub is the agricultural Advantage. One of the main differences is that if you use the agricultural verison it does not spread through the oil glands in the skin to cover the entire body. So you do have to apply it in a few spots. Also the inactive ingredients are not the same. So therefore there could be more adverse reactions. So use at your own risk.

Also Bayer has added fertilizer to their Tree and Shrub so be careful when buying. Do not get the Bayer Tree and Shrub that says Protect and feed. It will kill your dog. You should get just the Tree and Shrub. And if you can not find it in Bayer look for Ortho or Gordons.

10. SlaughterHouse

SlaughterHouse Big Dog

I also have a few cats that help keep the rodents under control that were heavily infested with fleas, I put the one cc ( Ortho Max Tree & Shrub ) on the shoulderblades and when I came back from work a few hours later the cats had no fleas on them at all. I like the way the stuff works, and its up to each and every person to decide on there own if thats what they wont to do. Just my two cents, and for the most part it aint worth a sh**.

11. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

thanks a bunch cynth, bill, i appreciate it folks. im going to give that termidor a shot.

so would you reccoment the cow tag on the collar also? if so what brand do i look for?

12. phill

phill Top Dog

try mixing a strong batch of pinesol watter put it on the dog brush it in for about 15 minutes then make a 50/50 batch in a spray bottle spray a few times a day fleas will be gone if you mop the house with pinesol dump the mop watter around the doghouse and you'll be fine

13. GI Joe

GI Joe Big Dog

Bayer tree and shrub here and have not had any problems.

14. Cynthia

Cynthia Top Dog

Lace if Frontline which is Fipronil is not working for you. What makes you think Termidor which is Fipronil will? It is the EXACT same active ingredient.

15. Cynthia

Cynthia Top Dog

Again be careful when buying Bayer Tree and Shrub.

Bayer has added fertilizer to their Tree and Shrub so be careful when buying. Do not get the Bayer Tree and Shrub that says Protect and feed. It will kill your dog. You should get just the Tree and Shrub. And if you can not find it in Bayer look for Ortho or Gordons. <!-- / message -->

16. garth

garth Big Dog

I use seven dust that is use by farmer's in their garden's.I spread it all over their chain spot's.First of all you must give them a dip of Adam's flea dip,I also ues epson salt an water spray on their spot's.

17. gregory

gregory Pup

just buy bifen xts works great on treating the yard. its talstar but higher ai and its oil based so it stays around loner then water based products. i buy it from pro source one for like 16.00 per qt and a qt treats my acre 3-4 time at the highest rate....spary the yard every 30day b/c of the fleas life cycle..........

to get rid of fleas you must treat the dog and the yard.....i love in south florida i know how the flea problems can be at one time i had 8 dogs in my yard it didn't happen every year but it did happen. i would put all of the dogs up give them cap star spray the yard and then give them frontline and then put them back on the chain when the yard was dry.......

18. pit#5

pit#5 Banned

I put real garlic in dog food in summer i seem not to see them on dogs

19. gregory

gregory Pup

i spray my yard every 3 months with bifen xts mainly b/c of the damn fire ants down here but by doing that i haven't had a problem with fleas in several years....

you have to remember you have to change the mode of action some times that could be why some products do not work at times the fleas have grown inmune to the product...

20. wardogkennels

wardogkennels Top Dog

Termidor sc order it at this site

Termidor SC, Termador, Termidor Termite - FREE SHIPPING

all you do is put 3 cc of the product undiluted on the back of your dog every 30 days no fleas no ticks

if your dog is 20 pounds or lighter use 1 cc undiluted per 10 pounds of body weight otherwise 3 cc undiluted for all dogs over 20 pounds . i have been using it for 4 years works fantastic.

you can also dilute 2oz of the product diluted into a gallon of water to spray around the house and yard kills everything crawling including spiders. make sure you spray in and around dog houses and kennel areas.

here is url with product info

CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

say good bye to those little pests!!!![/quote]