1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

The underdog

Discussion in 'APBT History' started by sweetscience, Jun 25, 2014.

1. sweetscience

sweetscience Big Dog

when hear the word underdog, I wonder where this term derived from. To me ,was it the sporting dog who did not have a chance to win, who fought his way from the bottom,thus being " The underdog"? Please share your stories where the underdog came from behind beating the odds making him/her the top dog.

2. TDK

TDK CH Dog Staff Member

That is exactly where the term came from. Used as early as the 19th century in England. The dog in front, or the favorite in betting was called the "top dog". The dog behind in a fight, or the one they thought most likely to be unable to win was the underdog. A sports team in first place in our times is called the top dog, and when teams or individuals meet in competition today, the least favored in betting is the underdog. All from that same origin.

3. niko

niko CH Dog

Thats cool...never knew where that term came from

4. Louis Cypher

Louis Cypher Big Dog

I've always been amazed at how much "dog" terminology has found its way into everyday speak thru out the years. "Game", "ear marked", "turn tail and run", "don't have a dog in this fight", etc. The list goes on and on..........much admiration for man's best friend, I would think, is a one of the reasons it became apart of the jargon. Obviously this goes beyond just pit dogs. Thanks for bringing this topic to light.

5. Damn I thought it was just me that noticed the sport dog terminology. It seems like boxers - football - baseball - all sports basically are in dog fights when it's a tough game lol . This Crazy World . A tough player or person is called a pitbull. I definitely feel you Louis

6. Louis Cypher

Louis Cypher Big Dog

I forgot about the "dog fight" comparison....good call. Yep, from generations back it still holds true today.

7. keystone

keystone CH Dog

have to be honest .
    sence yesterday know where the term is coming from ....very good .

8. XLR8

XLR8 Big Dog

I was just thinking about this a few days ago, quietly musing to myself. I made the connection between the terms "underdog" and "top dog" to game dogs and felt quite smug with myself :cool: