1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

The Shiba Inu a hunting dog???

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by NewSchoolDogMan, Sep 8, 2010.

1. NewSchoolDogMan

NewSchoolDogMan Top Dog

So I've seen a lot of these little dogs around here, but they are always nothing more than a child's companion. However, recently I'm told that these dogs are big game hunting dogs and are used to hunt bears and deer. I always thought that that was the Akita Inu. Has anyone ever heard of these little dogs being used in big game hunts successfully, especially on bears? I don't think a 15-20 # dog would be sufficient enough to bring down a bear. You'd probably need a big pack of them to just run one off let alone bring one down. I always thought these little guys are used on small game.

2. Oldskool Brent

Oldskool Brent Top Dog

I don't recall Japan having bears. I think it was a small game hunting dog.

3. Blau

Blau Big Dog

Japan does have bears, but they're hunted with Akita Inu. Shibas are the smallest of the Japanese hunting dogs, they were used to go after rabbits and birds.

I used to be OBSESSED with Japanese breeds lmao.

4. JoeyNzoey

JoeyNzoey Top Dog

yes your correct Blau ;) I used to own a shiba inu mix he would always kill rats and birds. They are pretty feisty little dogs!

5. Blau

Blau Big Dog

I used to really really want one, but decided I liked medium-large dogs better. Still cute little things though. Would love to see one that wasn't just a show dog and used for working!

6. Flipside

Flipside CH Dog

I personally hate heavy coated breeds that shed twice a year or more!

7. yessir

yessir Pup

they are a smaller version of the akita. very protective dog. seen one crossed with a pit before. nice dog but wouldnt purchase one for i love my own apbt.

8. JoeyNzoey

JoeyNzoey Top Dog

mine was mixed so he was a little bigger in fact his fur looked more like a husky's coat. His attitude was shiba inu though very feisty and protective. He was pretty DA as well he fought a chow and another loose stray and was a big screamer on walks. Always embarrassed me since I was a child when I owned him. Everyone always complimented me about how beautiful he was though. He was my first dog ever so he has his place in my heart no doubt.

9. NewSchoolDogMan

NewSchoolDogMan Top Dog

Yeah that's what I thought too. To my knowledge, shibas are ground dogs and occassionally were matched like the akita inu but that was it. I think you'd need 10 of these guys to make a bear retreat let alone bring one down.

10. Oldskool Brent

Oldskool Brent Top Dog

Yes, apparently the Asiatic Black Bear crossed into some Japan islands via an ice bridge. I did not know that, good stuff. :dogkiss:

11. damon

damon Banned

I think the bears over there are called yezos

12. Damon is right - and the yezo was a big motherfucker. Akitas hunted those, not Shibas. As others have sad the Shiba was a small game ground hunter.