1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

The "Game" Bred American Pit Bull Terrier as Family Guard and Defense Dog

Discussion in 'APBT History' started by Dr. Lector, Nov 10, 2011.

1. Dr. Lector

Dr. Lector Big Dog

Max Coats (Pit Bull Gazette, May 1981)

The "game" bred American Pit Bull Terrier is by far the greatest family and defense dog avail­able. We base this statement after trying German Shepherds imported from Germany, Dobermans, Rottweilers and Bullmastiffs from famous Ameri­can breeders, Neopolitan Mastiffs from Italy, AKC champion line American Staffordshire Ter­riers and UKC show stock American Pit Bull Terriers. While all those breeds have many fine qualities none have as many of these as the "game" bred American Pit Bull Terrier.

The type of dog we look for must have the following qualities. First he must have the in­telligence to learn and perform obedience work; second he must have a high pain tolerance to withstand rough play from small children; third he must be physically sound with no worry of hip dysplasia or other crippling faults; fourth he must be "game" as this will allow him to react with courage and not fear to the full attack of an aggressive armed man, without quitting, no mat­ter what abuse he is taking. While all the breeds I mentioned before exhibit some of these qualities only the "game" bred APBT will ex­hibit all of them.

This brings us to a troublesome problem. How does one obtain a "game" bred APBT? The only way to assure yourself of getting such
    an animal is to buy from a breeder who has these type dogs. These type dogs are of course "fight­ing" or "pit" dogs. To preserve the "game" APBT one must match or at least roll his dogs and then breed those who show the best game-ness. This is a problem, as dogfighting is a viola­tion of state, local, and federal laws when in­terstate is concerned.

Let's look at what these fighting-dog breeders are producing. First of all they are producing the toughest fighting dog of the canine world, the APBT. Let's look at this point closer. After visit­ing as many as fifty kennels of Rottweiler, Doberman, German Shepherd, Akita and Bull-mastiff breeders, I have heard all of them brag about some incident where one of their dogs has beat up on some other dog or tell about the fight­ing ability of their dogs. One of the top breeders of Rottweilers in the world lives close to me in Chesapeake, Virginia, and brags that her dogs are the hardest biting dogs in the world and that no dog can stand up to her big bad Rottweilers. At the Akita kennel I visited, the lady who owned it bragged about the fighting ability of her Akitas and how they were used in Japan for that pur­pose. She then went on to say anyone who owned one would have the baddest dog in their neigh­borhood. Dog World magazine even ran an arti­cle about an Akita who beat up a Pit Bull. (It must have been an Am. Staff). These same people who brag about their dogs' toughness with other dogs, cringe when dogfighting with APBTs is mentioned.

Well, the point I'm trying to make is, no mat­ter what type dog you own, especially those owners of guard or working breeds, everyone wants the baddest dog around, whether he will admit it or not. If my dog was to get into a fight I sure as hell would not want him to lose or get beat up, so why not own a dog who if he gets in­to a fight will not only win, but will be less likely to be hurt seriously. The "game" bred APBT is this type of dog.

These "game" bred APBTs can be encouraged to tolerate and avoid fights with other dogs. A good example of a "game" bred dog who is good with other dogs is my newest dog "CH Peter-built." For those of you who do not know him let me state that he is a fighting Champion and a five time winner at that. Well guess who old Peterbuilt's best buddy is. None other than our four-year-old attack trained German Shepherd, "Cornbred." These two dogs were not brought up together as we just purchased "Peterbuilt." This kind of ruins the theory that "game" bred APBTs are "kill crazy" and will destroy other dogs after getting the "taste of blood."

Other than producing the toughest fighting dog, let's see what else we get when we breed for a "game" dog. First, we get an intelligent dog who listens to his master's voice and is respon­sive to it. This is important when fighting, as a good pit dog must be responsive to his owner's encouragement when in combat. Just think about this for a moment. If a dog in the midst of battle is responsive to his owner's voice, just think how responsive he will be to his owner's voice in simple obedience and guard work. This responsiveness will allow him to train up quickly and efficiently for any task.

Second, the "game" dog has the highest pain tolerance of any animal in the world. When fighting they can withstand tremendous amounts of pain without even a whimper. It is this quality that makes him the finest dog in the world with small children. While the tug on the ear or a poke in the eye done by a child will cause great pain to a breed of dog not meant to take pain, a "game" bred APBT will take it in stride simply because it does not hurt him as much.

Third, a "game" bred dog is physically sound. If he possessed poor bone formation, hip dysplasia or weakness in muscle tissue, he most surely would not have been used for fighting and thus would not have been included in any breed­ing program. When purchasing this type of dog you can be assured of obtaining a physically sound animal. The same can not be said of the other working breeds, as hip dysplasia and other physical problems run rampant.

The last and most important aspect of the breed is gameness. Gameness is the willingness to withstand punishment and never quit the fight. Any "game" dog breeder will breed his gamest dogs. For if a dog quits a fight, even if he is winning, he will be declared the loser and thus you have lost the fight. One can now see the im­portance of breeding game dogs to game dogs. Gameness is also a highly desirable trait for a guard and defense dog. While any of the men­tioned working breeds can stop about 90% of the aggressive intruders, what about the other 10% of these aggressors? They include people who have no fear of dogs and feel confident enough in their own physical ability to beat an aggressive dog off. There is a need for a dog who will not quit no matter how bad he is hurt.

When we look at the desirable qualities we want in a guard and defense dog they all point toward the "game" bred APBT. There are many versions of this dog. There is the ARC Ameri­can Staffordshire Terrier, who was once the same breed but thru selective breeding only for conformation, they have all but eliminated the desired qualities of a "game" dog and thus those needed for a first class family guard and defense dog. Then we have another strain known as the pet and show type UKC American Pit Bull Ter­rier. He has been crossed with American Staf­fordshire Terrier blood and/or not bred from or to "game" stock for several generations. He too is being bred for conformation and in some cases schutzhund work. While this is all good and fine, it still will not truly test a dog's physical sound­ness, pain tolerance, or gameness. While it is probably a better choice than the ARC Stafford­shire Terrier, he is still far less desirable than the "game" bred American Pit Bull Terrier.

While many people are criticizing the breeders of "game" bred APBTs and the dogs them­selves, I for one would like to compliment them for producing the finest dog in the world. As it stands now, his life may be cut short or his quali­ty diminished by humaniacs who would rather destroy him than take the time to learn more about him and his many productive uses.

YIS
    Hannibal

2. Re: The "Game" Bred American Pit Bull Terrier as Family Guard and Defense Dog

Bullshit... Max, J. Long or who ever you are today, you full of it. Someone want a guard dog they need to get one that was bred for it. pitbulls aint posed to be people mean for a reason. why train a pit to be people mean when you can get a breed that bred to be mean

3. 99jakc

99jakc Pup

Re: The "Game" Bred American Pit Bull Terrier as Family Guard and Defense Dog

Somehow to portray the pitbull as a man stopper is bad for the breed and of course it is too light to be a real man-stopper and that is a fact.

4. coach

coach Big Dog

100%..."Gameness is also a highly desirable trait for a guard and defense dog"...Say What?????....Retarded.....Have you or this person ever really been around an APBT? Having a bulldog for a guard dog is like a Sumo wrestler running a marathon.

5. slim12

slim12 Super Moderator Staff Member

The guy that wrote this article has sold every type of dog there is.....owned numerous bloodlines within the bull dog world....and never did anything but sell puppies....mostly to the unsuspecting...he has stolen dogs....sold dogs that were not his....and this article was a sales pitch....that is something he is good at....first the 'gameness' trait is desirable to the bulldog community so he speaks of that being a good trait for a family protector....then later he adds that he likes really big bulldogs....and he has american bulldogs.....and then a family of 45lb dogs are now 65-90 on his superior feeding plan....but do you want a 40lb dog protecting your kids...or maybe a 90lb-er???....even in '81 he was a salesman....screwed so many as max coates he changed his name to jami long....bought nice dogs...re-named them...and sold puppies for $$$$....if it says "long's" in your pedigree odds are it is not bred that way and it may even be the influx of another breed to increase size....stay far away...hell, even run!!!....article was a sales pitch at most....US1

6. popow

popow Pup

If you show your apbt love and he becomes part of a family.You do have the best protection around.They know when someone is not right and will protect there family to the death.No I don't call them gaurd dogs but it is the only dog I want to gaurd me.Crazy I know!

7. slim12

having a lot of personal protection dog experience i will tell you this from years of hands on experience....a barking dog is 99% of all the home/family protection any one will ever need...if it goes into the 1% over that what you have is a false sense of self-assurance....real life-service type dog protection comes from years of sound breeding practices and then topped with hours on end of training and practice....specific command type training....the un-trained dog will bail under pressure....the desire to stay is built upon in steps to ensure strong nerves....baby step after baby step until it is a "serviceable" dog.......dogs have prey drive...defense drive...fight drive....and flight drive....bulldogs have a ton of prey drive (thus they can compete in sport type man work)...on average little to no defensive drive (have been bred for years to not be man biters-most man biters have excessive defensive drive/false sense of territorial issues)...fight drive(built thru experienced training --prey first coupled with defense drive equals fight drive)...and last drive is flight drive...(screw up any part of the first two and when a dog chooses flight the odds of him coming back is nil to none)....
    when your dog barks at the door encourage that and it will be the best crime deterrent you will ever purchase.....US1

8. Re: The "Game" Bred American Pit Bull Terrier as Family Guard and Defense Dog

ppl need to understand difference btw a guard dog and attack dog 1st off second Slim12 u rite bout Max Long lol. he said he was a navy seal and who kno what else. Real POS!

9. fonzie

fonzie Top Dog

The am pit bull was an all purpose dog

10. Re: The "Game" Bred American Pit Bull Terrier as Family Guard and Defense Dog

oh now I remember J. Long also said he beat up ken shamrock lol

11. Re: The "Game" Bred American Pit Bull Terrier as Family Guard and Defense Dog

they was bred for one purpose they just happend to do other stuff good 2

12. SacRedboyOwner

SacRedboyOwner Top Dog

That's right! To ignore the purpose you ignore the history and design of the breed. The fact that they were bred for this purpose makes them have strengths for other jobs as well.

13. 1916

1916 Big Dog

Don't forget the author was also a rat snitch pos

14. benthere

benthere CH Dog Staff Member

Max Coats aka Jamie Long is an ass clown.

15. Re: The "Game" Bred American Pit Bull Terrier as Family Guard and Defense Dog

thats bein polite

16. Dr. Lector

Dr. Lector Big Dog

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Yes...I agree. I certainly don't condone human aggressive game dogs....that wasn't the intent...and I also didn't know all that about the author....that's wild.[/FONT]

YIS

17. redrumdog

redrumdog Top Dog

I agree this is something Bob Stevens would write.I also agree with Slim the average person only needs a dog that will bark.To own a protection trained dog takes a very discipline person with proper training.Sometimes I wish that some of my dogs was mean in away.That way it would be harder for someone to steal them.

18. pookie!

pookie! Top Dog

If you want a dog to protect you, get a guardian breed, not a damn APBT.

Hell even my English Mastiff bred from regular lines wont hesitate to grab a person, damn bitch tried to attack me when I locked myself out and had to come through a window!

19. slim12

had a few fila brasileiros thru the years....as far a home and family guardians dogs go, they may be the very best....but if friends are over they have to be locked away...so if a friend/family member comes after you they have their liabilities....but just like bulldogs they too can be 'cold'..no 'temperament' ....the last one was about 170...lean and looking good....would come to the door like a ball of fire...the devil himself would not cross into the hell he was bringing from the inside of the door...open the door and speak to him and you had a new best friend....he did not live up to the 'bloodlines' that made him up...but that display to a knock at the door, or a car in the yard or the delivery guy, or the guy outside with bad intentions...he was 99.99999% of all the protection dog/home security anyone would ever need...
    and on the flip side (maybe) 99% of all apbt are people and stranger friendly...easy to befriend...US1