1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

The "Big 4" of the Dog World and the APBT

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by crook60, Jul 27, 2023.

1. crook60

crook60 Pup

To whoever reads this, I wish you good health and a good day.
    I would like to first and foremost state that the game dog forum contains quite possibly some of the best pieces of knowledge attainable for the American Pitbull Terrier, and the members who have been here for years discussing and debating, have truly built a Library of sorts for such a spectacular breed. It's a shame how millions of people in the world somehow mistaken a funky mixed breed as a "pit-bull" with such an incredible machine built of grit and game.
    Onto the Main topic of this thread, is the concept of the Big 4 dog breeds and the APBT. When I mean Big 4, I am referring to the Tosa Inu, Central Asian Shepherd AKA "alabai", Kangal and Bully Kutta. I've seen in this discussion as well as in many other pages and sites across the internet how many individuals like to fantasize the concept of one of the big 4 against an APBT. LOL. I am not one to entertain such comical ideas, I mean weight classes were designed for a reason. And if anybody wanted to see such a contest then the Chinese will not disappoint you, haha. As somebody who has former experience with two of the big breeds ( BK, CAO), I want to make a fair claim and clear the air to state a fact I am sure you all know too well: The APBT excels every time.

and folks don't want to believe this and it sucks, I mean the evidence shows how well APBT performs on various tasks under pressure.
    Majority of the APBT dogmen and esteemed individuals of the forum know well and understand that not every APBT is going to perform exactly the same way as one could estimate nor predict, however conditioning and some honest work could turn a tail tucker into something incredible. I'm sure you all have seen the videos of APBT vs many various so called "fighting" breeds, and you tend to see the APBT outperforming. I also have seen some APBT lose in these predicaments. And I am positive you folks can guess a few good reasons as to why/how this predicament can occur. Some apbt aren't as game as many could expect, the dog being overweight could also lead to a factor. Another underlying factor also pertains to lineage and whether the dog is truly a gamedog, in which instance a form of trial I presume must take place in order to truly acquire the title. But you all know this

I've owned BK and Alabai (loveable breeds, truly majestic), I've participated in the matches in South Asia as well as utilized for sentry work and farm work. I gotta say they are simply large brutes of a breed, and this is not to say they are inadequate for the task at hand. But I hear people say the Bully Kutta is a hunting hound, that is absolute bullshit. For hunting, their large bodies are unfit for tasks involving stamina, I have seen many instances of them slurring and quitting. As for Guarding and Sentry work, yes. These dogs will scare an average Afghani goat-banger and typical thieves and trespassers. As for fighting, there are only a few instances of which I found a BK or GullDong to actually prove to be a real deal fighting dog, the dog's names are "9 Lakhiya", "Yarbash Moti", and "Lahori". These dogs have fought to the death through tooth and nail and have yet to lose a match. A BK and Gulldong are however obviously not game, but gladiators? I assure you very few are titled so.

A Central Asian Shepherd and Kangal I would strictly define them as a Livestock Guardian Breed. Never knew why folks would bother putting them into the 4x4 or field. And they do perform their duty fairly well against formiddable foes, for instances small brown bears and packs of wolf and coyote. Which may sound unbelievable, but the proof is out there. However, some nincompoops manage to make matches out of the CAO and Kangal, and the fights barely last as long as you may think. I have seen them go for as long as 25 minutes, afterwards they either squeal or submit.

As for Tosa Inu, I personally have never owned one due to the fact that it is an actual rare gem of a breed. and they are incredible for sure, but as for fighting circumstances, they are an oddball for me. Some matches don't last long, some involve captivation yet the dogs lack the grit we know so well of.

But against an APBT? I truly believe gameness and heart is the clear answer to what defines a winner in these cases. Yes, whether you like it or not size can most definitely be a factor. But the truth is that the Big 4 are over glorified in a way. Most definitely I Insist those of the forum to possibly research the Big 4 breeds since they are quite interesting working dogs. If anybody feels I have misspoken or said something incorrect, do correct me for my misinformation. God Bless you guys.

david63 likes this.
  2. ben brockton

ben brockton CH Dog

Best thing to do is don't even bring up other " combat " dogs up in threads. Nothing good comes of it.

crook60 likes this.
  3. slim12

slim12 Super Moderator Staff Member

Very true.

One intelligent post followed by a not so intelligent post and then someone's Mom is wearing combat boots to church.

It usually goes south/gets worse from there.

It can be great conversation but much better had in the private messages arena.

S

Revelator and crook60 like this.
  4. crook60

crook60 Pup

Understandable. I kept reading in previous threads of various breeds and also some pages discussing this very topic (which I find ridiculous) so I attempted to state an opinion based on personal background knowledge and research, as well as personal bias. Regardless the APBT just outperforms every time.

david63 likes this.
  5. chili

chili Big Dog

Appreciate your insight

crook60 likes this.
  6. I like many different breeds for many different reasons. I love my rotties for home defense, my pitbulls for general people friendly attitude and a great athletic partner and that desire to not give up. If I have a rat infestation I'd probably want a jack Russell or rat terrier. Those dogs are spunky little things.

When thinking of the big 4, the tosa stands out to me. I've seen one in person and it was a neat dog. Friendly to me and great with it's family. It was protective against strangers and fairly dog aggressive. The thing that it seemed to not have as much was general athletic ability. Not that it lacked it, but compared to an apbt it just wasnt as athletic which is understandable due to its size. The apbt just seems to be in a league of its own when it comes to athleticism and desire to keep going.

david63 and crook60 like this.
  7. Forgot to mention, dogos seem pretty intense overall. I've seen a few over the years. Saw one at the park recently and when I stopped to talk to the owner the dog lunged at me. The others I met were friendly.

david63 and crook60 like this.
  8. crook60

crook60 Pup

In all honesty, It is quite amazing how well put and developed the dogo argentino is, based off their predecessor being the cordoba fighting dog I have witnessed a handful of videos of a dogo against APBT, and the APBT outperforms and outmatches, so long as the dog is in fair conditioning and truly game. Dogos arent a natural combat based animal, you best believe they will go above and beyond to catch that boar larger prey however they just cant compete with our blessed bulldogs of the USA

david63 likes this.
  9. crook60

crook60 Pup

Honestly My admiration for the APBT really comes to the end point being that despite their size, they are quite literally rockets. And the grit and high drive to persevere is such a motivation to me and I simply just dont see that in many other breeds. For security, Rottweilers are absolute units. well put.