1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Th3 Futur3 Of Apbt?

Discussion in 'APBT Bloodlines' started by Esse818, Nov 4, 2006.

1. Esse818

Esse818 Big Dog

I was thinking about how genetics over time change a dog, as much as I think Pit Bulls are becoming more gentle, more friendly, like in a couple of more decades and the APBT might become dog friendly. just my thoughts post ur thoughts good or bad.

p.s. don't mind my spelling. and my thoughts come from my head with no evidens and such.

2. LuvinBullies

LuvinBullies CH Dog

I love to speculate! :)

I see where you are coming from...you are noting a trend toward people breeding the APBT as a companion animal, not just a working animal. You've also noticed how public ignorance about the APBT has led to a public demand for a less traditional, more "friendly" APBT which requires less responsibility and less dutiful handling by its owner.
    Everything tends evolve with and adapt to the society it lives in, regardless of how ridiculous it is. While some APBT bloodlines will remain sound and traditionally bulldog/gamedog (by hook or crook as dedicated APBT enthusiasts/breed preservationists fight to keep the APBT true through ownership and breeding), there may also be some specimens which naturally evolve (devolve?!) with a society which doesn't need or desire a highly driven working dog. These substandard dogs would possibly set the wheels in motion for long term genetic manipulation producing less energetic APBT housepets with more easygoing temperaments around other animals. Of course, this would not happen without a trail of headlines and accidents on the part of these owners who choose not to acknowledge what their dog's roots are.
    If the "Pit Bull" fad HOPEFULLY moves on and the APBT survives, as the trendy-machismo-punk-hillbillys move their focus onto exploiting something else to make up for their little peckers, their unstable hybrid "pit" mixes should eventually die out by way of speuter and/or shelter euthanasia culling. Even if APBT's fall out of the current unwanted media spotlight, there will still be demand from "APBT fanciers" for a housepet, a residual effect from all those who rescued or just fell in love with a breed persecuted by so many. As people continue to own, breed and desire the APBT for a housepet, the genes eventually will comply, and some APBTs will be genetically predisposed toward a less animal aggressive nature in the home.
    The true APBT will stay traditional and strong as long as knowledgeable enthusiasts continue to own and breed him- but I suspect there will also be an APBT type dog which gradually evolves (or devolves, really) with the new wave america cookie cutter suburbia lifestyle into what the public wants the APBT to be.

3. The Apbt Wont Lose Its D.a. - The Amstaff, However, Will. When Breeding For Looks And Looks Alone, The D.a. Slowly By Surely Dilutes Itself Until Its All But Gone. I Believe It Can Be Resparked In A Matter Of Two Properly Considered Breedings....but Why Would You Want To Regain A Trait From One Line, When It Already Exists In Another? Know What I Mean?

4. If the breeding of the game dogs continues, then i think that DA* will never be lost along with drive and etc. The true APBT will never be lost.

*not all game dogs are DA, but its in the breeding not to care if it is or isnt

5. pancho

pancho Guest

Man made the apbt what he is today and man will make the dog whatever he will be in the future. The future of the apbt will evolve into something different, what that will be will be decided by the majority of people breeding them.

Arguing about the color, size, condition, show dog, working dog, etc is not helping. Trying to educate others about the apbt and teaching the young people who are interested in the dog may save the breed.
    Each person will have a chance to help or harm the breed, you will get to choose which it will be.

6. pennsooner

pennsooner CH Dog

Nope. After more than 70 years away from the pit, most AmStaffs are still pretty dog aggressive for the most part. Plus, I think we are seeing the very start of the APBT loosing some of its fad status as more at risk owners move on to other breeds (CO's for example).

7. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

APBT's wont change, "pitbulls" will, and in some respects, already have.

8. pancho

pancho Guest

APBT is a fairly new name for the same dog. Pitbull, bulldog, gamedog, pit bull terrier, Irish dog. All the same dog. What has changed many times and will probably change again is the name.
    The apbt is mostly being bred nowdays for looks only, no matter if it is ukc, adba, or any of the other initials that have popped up in the last few years. There may be game dogs in the 4th generation. That has little to do with what has been produced 4 generations later. You cannot go by looks alone.
    Take a look at many of the old foundation dogs.
    The Colby dogs in the early 1900's. Most of the Carver dogs. Tudor dogs.
    These dogs were not the dogs we see today.
    Look at Bullyson, match weight 53 lbs.
    Gr. Ch. Buck chain wt. 58-60 lbs.
    Gr. Ch. Hank 65lbs chain weight.
    Plumber's Alligator 58-60 match weight.
    Tudor's Black Jack,
    These were not small dogs.
    Go back and check the weight on Crib and Pilot, both under 30lbs.
    The trend nowdays is either to go to the large dogs and argue all others are too small.
    Or go to the small dogs and argue that all big dogs are mixed.
    Neither one is correct.
    What ever you want to call the dog it has changed much in its size and disposition. It will continue to change.

9. Titch_Pitbull

Titch_Pitbull Top Dog

Yeah I agree with breeder variation and Diffrent Breeder aims the breed will continue to change since people breed for diffrent things (Not all aquire for the trait of gameness) So it has to change according with breeder aims

10. Esse818

Esse818 Big Dog

there we go thats what i wanted to hear [​IMG] educated ppl giving opinions

11. heres another
    altho it is a disservice to this breed for it to be
    bred and changed to everystreetcornerpunks dog
    what options we got
    tell ya what put some other dog in the media
    in mtv videos movies and whatnot you will see the
    numbers drop like hard rain
    except for the people who got them really cheap and
    tie them in the yard everynow and then soemthing jumps
    the fence and bingo .. free to good homes

i was driving and the school kids had come out and walking
    their dogs.. low and behold a pit of every color least 4 per kid
    in the hands of 11 and 12 yr old boys

enuff dogs to fill any kennel
    well now you know what will become of them
    i shook my head and wondered why the breeder
    dont offer info on altering a pet before it comes
    to them having one litter after another every year

and another thing is its very illegal here to breed any
    litter with out a permission application from the city
    approved... the fines are huge.. and the evidence is
    right there in the paper no one is paying up for the
    litters that are sold....i had seen a woman get a 1,ooo
    fine for the litter and 250. per pup she sold..it was real
    heavy on her..oh plus some more for license and other
    stuff as one too many dogs for city code..

and yet it goes on and on....
    anybody in the mood for making some movies and music
    videos and get the dogs you love so much out of the
    lime light....just a thought

12. LuvinBullies

LuvinBullies CH Dog

Well Rock- you managed to sum up my carefully worded and thought out, if a tad lengthy post to one sentence which captures my intended point perfectly. You stole my thunder :p. The true blue APBT will exhibit the standard set by his heritage until the last true blue APBT enthusiast takes his last breath, but as society demands change in the "pitbull", he may adapt accordingly.

13. hoovereport77

hoovereport77 Big Dog

this is a very interesting topic. if we're looking 10 years down the road i think the showtype apbt will definitely be bigger, wider and lower and it will take the same path as what the english bulldog took. it may end up being a totally seperate breed. in fact as early as now, they say some of them are now called, american bullies. the gamebred apbts by that time will remain as the only apbt, no more showtype pits. but i also think the apbt will thrive in countries outside the u.s. places where bsl is not present. i also think the quality of the apbts in other countries will surpass the quality of apbts in the u.s. by that time because it'll be so hard to own an apbt in the u.s. these are just my thoughts

14. pancho

pancho Guest

There are apbt in many countries now.
    I shipped 20 to Tiawan back in the middle 80's. I don't know how they are breeding them but I do know the papers are probably not on the correct dog. The dogs had to go through quarantine and they wanted the registration papers sent immediately. They didn't know what papers matched what dog. The only thing they had to go by was the color on the papers to match to a dog of the same color. My friend sent 30 dogs also and the papers to his was in the same box.

15. MR BIGGS

MR BIGGS Breed Advocate

I for one love game dogs but also prefer pit companions because of the personality, which both types of dogs possess. In my honest opinion all the bullys have some type of game in'em but different people nowadays use gameness in many aspects, it all depends on the person and competition.

P.S. An APBT is all the same as a bully, a petbull, a game dog or a cur. It just depends on how u use them.

P.S.S If u put two curs together then one has to have more game than the other. Pardon my contradiction but it makes sense to me. So the APBT will always be a game dog and a companion in some way, which will leave it as a true APBT

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2006
  16. LuvinBullies

LuvinBullies CH Dog

Very interesting statement. A loyal, charming and interesting statement across the board. I cannot agree or disagree, only appreciate.

17. bahamutt99

bahamutt99 CH Dog

I don't think the breed will head down any one path to the exclusion of all else. Honestly, I don't see too much changing, except maybe the bully people making the split from our breed. I'd imagine there will still be the smaller, rangier dogs; the middle-sized, balanced dogs; and the oversized "mule" dogs. What I sincerely hope is that the people who are doing right by these dogs will continue to influence others, and we'll see an increase in the number of good dogs and good people.

And while some may disagree with this, I really hope the number of people interested in using the breed for legal sports and useful tasks continues to climb. I agree with keeping the breed as true as you can, but I feel like the future is just as important as the past. I need to believe that these lil' old fighting dogs can really make a positive contribution and that they are needed in modern day society. I think some people are afraid to look at other things we can do with these dogs and its a shame.

18. pancho

pancho Guest

People who have been around the breed for many years can already see a difference in the dog. The change really began about 1980. Before that time the change was very slow. It picked up speed in 80. By 90 there was such a change in the dogs I quit breeding.

19. MR BIGGS

MR BIGGS Breed Advocate

I really believe that my theory of one dog being more game if both are curs is true in every sense.
    Thanks!

20. pancho

pancho Guest

One dog will always be more game than another dog. That does not make either of the dogs game. Put two cocker spaniels together and one will be more game than the other. That does not make either one of them game dogs.
    For example take two boxers and put them on a race track. One will out run the other. This does not make the one dog a greyhound or a fast dog. He is just a little faster than the other dog.