1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Texas BSL

Discussion in 'Laws & Legislation' started by JoeFeezy, Mar 27, 2007.

1. JoeFeezy

JoeFeezy Big Dog

So I just got a letter in the mail, from the American Dog Breeders Association.

BSL ALERT: Harris County, TX

Senator Ellis has introducted SB 349, which applies only to state-wide counties with population 3.3 million or more, (basically Harris County/Houston). It Reads in part, "The commissioners court of a county by order may prohibit or otherwise regulate in the county the keeping of pets the court determines are dangerous"

In other words, if the commissioners court determines that a particular breed of dog is "dangerous," they may ban or regulate the breed in the entire county. This is yet another not-so-subtle attempt by Ellis to get around the state law prohibiting BSL. (previously ruling in 2005)

Link to Full Text of SB 349 - BSL Law in Harris County, TX

This Is What You Can Do To Help
    Please email the lawmakers of the TX Senate and let them know what you do NOT support SB 349. Whatever you have to say. The letter states a bunch of reasons and past court cases which contradict this BSL bill.

Please keep in mind that other states have done this. Most recognized would probably be DENVER. The ADBA letter calls it genocide.

Here is a link to all of the TX state Legislators

Points to Address:
    1) Breed-Specific laws are not the best way to protect communities. An owner intent on using his or her dogs for malicious purposes will simply be able to switch to another breed of dog and continue to jeopardize public safety. The list of regulated breeds or types could grow every year without ever addressing responsible dog ownership.

2) Breed-Specific laws are hard to enforce. Breed Identification requires expert knowledge of the individual breeds, placing great burden on local officials.

3)Breed-Specific Laws are unfair to responsible owners. (me!)

4)Breed-Specific Laws increase the costs for the community. Shelter costs for the community could rise as citizens abandon targeted breeds and adoptable dogs of the target dogs could be euthanized at the shelter.

5) Some communities have had their breed-specific laws overturned on constitutional grounds of due process. Because proper identification of what dogs would be included is difficult or impossible, the law may be deemed unconstitutionally vague.

6) Strongly enforced animal control laws (leash laws), generic guidelines on dealing with dangerous dogs and increased public education efforts to promote responsible dog ownership are all better ways to protect communities from dangerous animals.

7)Breed Specific Legislation is strongly opposed by the AKC, UKC, ADBA, the American Veterinary Medical Association, the National Animal Control Association, the ASPCA, and a host of national animal welfare organizations that have studied the issue and recognize that targeting breeds simply does not work.

Thank You!
    I realize that alot people don't live in this area and probably don't care. BUT please keep in mind that once it happens here in Houston, it's only a matter of time before it comes closer to your home. My pit is a sweetheart. She does not show any dangerous symptoms. In fact, I have a disabled mom, who my pit helps out all the time around the house. It would be a crime if they took her from us, just because of what kind of dog she is. Please take the 10 minutes to send an email or fax. The more responses they get, the harder it is to pass.

2. JoeFeezy

JoeFeezy Big Dog

Help me keep this at the top for a day or so. So that way everyone can see it.

3. bahamutt99

bahamutt99 CH Dog

The bill author (Mr. Ellis) is open to suggestion, so be polite when you email him.

Dear Constituent:

Thank you for contacting me regarding Senate Bill 349, the dog regulation bill that I have filed. I appreciate hearing from you on this important matter.

I filed this legislation because I am concerned about the safety of Harris County residents. I do agree with you that breed specific legislation is ineffective. The purpose of this bill is to give Harris County Commissioner's Court the authority to impose fees and enhance penalties for irresponsible dog owners. To ensure the people of Harris County that the bill does what it is intended to do, my staff has been working with Harris County Public Health & Environmental Services' staff. In addition, my staff will work with Responsible Pet Owners Alliance (RPOA) and American Kennel Club on appropriate amendments to the bill.

I encourage you to read the legislation if you would like a more in-depth knowledge of it:

http://tlis/tlisdocs/80R/billtext/doc/SB00349I.doc

Once again, thank you for contacting me about this very important issue and for your continued support. If you would like to receive periodic updates on the status of this and similar issues, please feel free to register your e-mail address at www.ellis.senate.state.tx.us. If I may be of any further assistance to you, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Sincerely,

Rodney Ellis

4. JoeFeezy

JoeFeezy Big Dog

Can anyone give me some tips on what i can do. Texas has a statewide ban on BSL, but they are scamming the system and calling it something else to get away with it.

5. Suki

Suki Guest

yup, i dig into the city's already existing laws and try to find the weak areas and show the councilors how to rework them, so it is
    1). more cost effective for the city=less expensive to work with already existing laws, and just tweak them, (cost effective=councilors LOVE hearing that!) and
    2). show them better, more effective ways to help deter second time offenders, and hopefully wipe out any chance for first time offenders.
    example of a meeting i spoke at last year: (3 areas i thought that could use "help")
    I bring your attention to Salem's already existing dog laws, in particular Section 8-35= Restraint. I noticed a first offense results in a penality of $10.00, and a $25.00 second offense, then upwards of $50.00, depending on where the location of the viloation occurs. Respectfully, $10.00 isn't much to some. Why not impose higher fines, say of $500.00? A higher fine would have any owner rethinking their priorities and responsibilities!

Section 8-68= Confinement. Again stiffen the fines. Why not impose a "3 Strike" rule? Heighten the fines of the first two offenses, and upon the 3rd offense, impose a siezure. Use the money collected to fund a dog awareness program. Give it to the shelters, or give L.E. and Animal Control officials a raise for doing a job well done!

Lastly, addressing Section 8-77= Penalties. Currently, a $25.00 fee is imposed, with a dog that has 4 or more violations, being deemed as a "nuisance". Again, respecfully, $25.00 is very low, and isn't a strong enough deterent to stop people from violating that law.

all 3 of these ares had GREAT ideas, but imo, the fees were WAAAY to low, and way too affordable for the majority of people. to many it was no big deal to pay the 10.00 fine and get fluffy back home.
    the councilors weren't even aware at how low their fees actually were!
    then, i started a petition and passed it out, had it go on-line and made copies of it and walked it around.
    i also hand made about 300 fliers up, some color, some B&W and slapped them onto evey car windshield i came across, evey telephone pole, light pole, garbage can, etc. i then, passed them out to people on the street, and then went into surrounding cites, to several businesses and asked if i could leave some there, as well. MANY BO were VERY happy to help.

[​IMG]
    also, these organizations are opposed to BSL: these are good to bring up, as well, as many are well known and therefore people can relate to them better.

[size=+1]American Humane[/size]
    [size=+1]American Kennel Club (AKC)[/size]
    click onto the links to see where they stand..
    so, yes, imo, there is a LOT you can do. write to the councilors, and not just an e-mail, MANY of which simply just get over looked. snail one, as it's always good to have something tangible in your hand.
    write up a speech and speak before the councilors when the meeting comes around. dress nice, hide the ink=yes, this DOES make a difference, act professional, and bring some friends, as there IS strength in numbers.
    just be the voice for your dog=best advice i can give yah!;)
    [/size]

6. JoeFeezy

JoeFeezy Big Dog

Thanks Suki. I really appreciate that. I don't have any experience with bsl. 20 years of experience with APBTs but that doesn't do any good when they are threatening my right to own them. Many more of you from Texas should really do some of these things. I don't know how much help i will be since i am from Dallas not Houston but I advise anyone around the Houston area to fight as much as you possibly can. I will do all the fighting i can do from Dallas, but please do your part too.

7. Suki

Suki Guest

n/p!:)

you'd be amazed what you can do, single handedly. i'm not real outgoing, but for the sake of the APBT, i'll happily climb out of my shell! ;)
    at that Salem meeting, the head speaker, at the close of the meeting, held up a stack, and i mean a STACK of letters, that he said he got from around the country, letters as far away as California, and and down from Canada, opposing BSL.
    you just gutta get your voice out there and make it heard!
    the best time for me, was walking the city streets and actaully talking to people one on one about BSL.
    I was AMAZED at how many people didn't even know what it was, and what was even more curious, was their reaction when they found out this type of "behavior" actually exists and goes on in this country, yes, ahem, the land of the free, .... people were pissed!!!! rightfully so!
    that court room was OVER filled that night!
    pretty cool!:cool:

8. ChiaPit

ChiaPit Top Dog

I have been firing off letters left and right along with family pictures and such, hopefully others will do the same

9. JoeFeezy

JoeFeezy Big Dog

That is awesome. You truly are an angel for our breed.

10. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I got the letter too. I will be typing up some letters and sending them all over. Please those of you not in Houston please help us out. We need all the help we can get.

11. JoeFeezy

JoeFeezy Big Dog

Just in case anyone missed this I wanted to let everyone see it again.

12. jdbpitbull

jdbpitbull Big Dog

i aint but about 2hrs away i will help where i can cause your right if it happens there itll happen all over

13. JoeFeezy

JoeFeezy Big Dog

Well it isn't so much important on the Houston part. But as soon as Houston passes it, it will open the flood gates for the state of Tx.

14. jdbpitbull

jdbpitbull Big Dog

very true and what sux about this whole damn thing the dogs are the innocent ones the government cant get their hands into the money so anything to make it stop thats my opinion on it but hey could be wrong they could just be stupid

15. JoeFeezy

JoeFeezy Big Dog

I think it is a little of each one.