1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Temperament differences: Pitbulls and staffordshire bull terrier

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by pitbull-kid, Nov 7, 2009.

1. pitbull-kid

pitbull-kid Big Dog

Can anyone shed some lights on the differences between game pitbulls and staffordshire bull terrier?

I am curious. I have a few pits myself. My next door neighbor just brought home 2 Staffordshire bull terriers. (NOT the SHOW Am Staff). The temperament are somewhat similar in my opinion, but they are different breed.

Anyway, so I did some research, they share the same common ancestor. The staffie were originally imported to the US around 18th/19th century. Subsequently, dog fighting became popular in America around that time. Pits were intensively bred for that sole purpose. At the same time on the other side of the ocean, in Britain the law was passed prohibiting dog fighting and thus they were bred primarily as companion.

Before the British introduced the humane right act making dog fighting illegal. The staffie was also bred for combat sport and has already made a name for itself as 'friendly, reliable, the nanny dog etc'. Which is clear that breeding them for the fighting game has indirectly created the contrasting characteristic of the breed; the extremely human friendly nature with strong dog-aggression behavior.

Now, I would like to hear everyone opinion. Since the game pitbull terriers in the state have been, for decades, bred for the same purpose as in Britain in the past.

Hence, do you think pits today have the same temperament as the staffie? Have extensive dog fighting breeding activities dented pits temperament in anyway or making them less reliable than the staffie?

(for the sake of this conversation, the term pitbull refers to the game pitbull. NOT the show pitbull. I sincerely believe only breeding the game stock are we able to retain the true nature of the original pitbulls)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2009
  2. gh32

gh32 CH Dog

Actually,breeding the APBT for the [] is what has helped them become the dog they are today.HA was a big liability in the [] and for the most part the APBT is a really friendly dog,there are exceptions to everything of course but an APBT is as "reliably" friendly as any breed I've seen.

3. redneck

redneck Pup

when talking to people that keep both ive found most, not all, swing towards saying they like the character of the stafford about the house and can be easier to keep and walk in numbers then pitbulls. if kenneled then i suppose it makes no difference

4. pitbull-kid

pitbull-kid Big Dog

Redneck, you basically are saying they have different temperament? Do you mind enlighten me? Because, I am thinking of buying one myself :D However, if it's the same, I don't really see the point of getting one. Many people give me this idea that they are sweeter in characters, but if we exam its history, it should be no different to pits, right? idk

5. sunbeam

sunbeam CH Dog

people wise i have seen far less dodgy staffords than pit bulls .if any dog has a better people loving temperament than the apbt it is definately the stafford.

6. oxman

oxman Pup

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Working staffs all getting along together , not sure if would be so easy with 4 pits ha .....

7. redneck

redneck Pup

as sunbeam has said they are very people loving and as oxman has showed they can coexist even when they arent shy of taking a fwd step, the experience i have had with pitbulls has only been the working type and found them more highly strung then the stafford which can generally be prety laid back until its time to get moving...my experience is very limited though with pitbulls so im not a good indicator as in the usa you have a lot of different'/ types to what we have in japan where i live and where dog fighting is legal

8. sunbeam

sunbeam CH Dog

similar here in nepal redneck.

9. alabama

alabama Big Dog

I find actually in a way that pitbulls make better house pets,find them more laid back,less excitable etc.staffords on the other hand i find they have that amazing comical charecter that you cant help but fall in love with but are a nuicence in the house,but you have to love em for it,if you own one im sure you know what im on about lol

10. pitbull-kid

pitbull-kid Big Dog

I don't know, my pits are funny. Some are lazy as hell but can easily be jumped start if they see something that excite them. Some on the other hand have rockets strap on their backs, they are on all the time.

Which part of Japan are you from? I have a few friends over there :) :)

11. pitbull-kid

pitbull-kid Big Dog

What about the staff human friendliness and reliability towards human compare to the pits?

As for me, I can't say because I don't have a staff, i can't really compare anything, that's why I posted on this thread :) Maybe people with experience like you can share the info :D

12. Atomic Dog

Atomic Dog Big Dog

My job takes me into a lot of different homes of which many have dogs. The Staffords I come across all act in a similar way, going nuts to get attention in a good natured over the top manner. The byb pits that I see about seem more laid back about things, but still human friendly of course.

13. alabama

alabama Big Dog

Agree with that atomic dog,and pitbullkid read sunbeams post i would say thats a good way of putting it,

14. anders

anders Pup

As with all breeds, temperament is an individual thing depending on alot of different factors, so it's really hard to tell what a certain behaviour depends on.

But I can say this. I've never met a stafford that's not crazy for attention and loves all people. But I have met some (few) APBT's that are a little uninterested in people, and I've never seen that in a Stafford.

As for relations with other dogs I would say that it's usually easier to get a Stafford to coexist with other dogs, rather than a pit, but that, as everything also depends on the individual. For exemple my Stafford male (8 1/2 months old) hates almost everything with fur, with a few exceptions. But, he may not be like most Staffords? Just my thoughts anyways...

15. oldtymer

oldtymer Top Dog

Could'nt agree more with that statement and oxmans pics prove its far easier to have working staffs together than it is pits .;)

16. pitbull-kid

pitbull-kid Big Dog

Does anyone ever has any bad experience with pits? like they make the wrong turns, can't be trusted with the family etc. I have my pits chained up as kennel dogs, so I can't really tell. However, so far, none ever make any bad turn.

I wanted to compare with the staffordshire bull terrier, because I might have heard a few case from pits but never ever from staffie

17. alabama

alabama Big Dog

Dont get it mistaken pitbullkid there are the odd staffie that is funny for sure.had one myself.once i sold her the people tried her out i believe and she was a rank cur.john 5 whats your problem fella lol

18. matty

matty Big Dog

John5 whats your issue, i know redneck personally he is 100% trustworthy and a dam good bloke, absolutly no need for trash talk like that try keep it clean, im personally sick of "big menn" behind the computer screen.

19. sunbeam

sunbeam CH Dog

john5, i too have met the lad, he is a bit of a knob fair do's :) but your criticism is a bit ott and personal.it just makes you look like what your question made you appear to PP and RN, a piczo lad at best and trouble at worst,move on from it and stop acting like a kid with a skelped arse and you may learn something (not from me i know sweet feck all).

20. alabama

alabama Big Dog

No you dont do ya sunbeam:D

Have never seen you post one pic or answer any question about history lol