1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Taste of the wild

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by kane85, Mar 5, 2010.

1. kane85

kane85 Top Dog

Any of you feed this to your dog? What are your thoughts

2. CTG

CTG Big Dog

bought the pacific stream blend to try out cause i liked the ingredients and the high prairie and wetlands was too high in protein for me.

Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream Canine Formula with Smoked Salmon benefits:

Grain-Free
    Smoked & Fresh Salmon
    Omega Fatty Acid Blend
    Antioxidants
    Digestive Support System
    Potato Fiber
    Sweet Potatoes
    Berry Blend
    Tomatoes
    No Corn, No Soy, No By-Products
    Chelated Minerals.

AAFCO Statement:
    Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream Canine Formula is formulated to meet the nutritional levels established by the Association of American Feed Control Officials (AAFCO) Dog Food Nutrient Profiles for all life stages.

Other ingredients in Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream Canine Formula with Smoked Salmon:
    Zinc 150 mg/kg Minimum
    Selenium 0.4 mg/kg Minimum
    Vitamin E 150 IU/kg Minimum
    * Not recognized as an essential nutrient by the AAFCO Dog Food Nutrient Profile.

Calorie Content: 3,600 kcal/kg (360 kcal/cup) Calculated Metabolizable Energy.

Other Product BenefitsNo Grain, No By-Products - Natural grain-free formula with vitamins and minerals offers your pet nutrition for health and vitality.

Smoked & Fresh Salmon - Found in our Pacific Stream Canine Formula. Rich in omega fatty acids, these ingredients offer highly digestible protein to help your dog maintain the sleek condition of good health.

Protein Blend For Optimal Amino Acid Profile - Amino acids are the building blocks for a healthy body. Multiple protein sources ensure that adequate building blocks are available to meet your pet's needs. Ocean fish meal provides the added benefit of marine source omega-3 fatty acids, important for a healthy immune system, healthy skin and a shiny coat.

Salmon, ocean fish meal, sweet potatoes, potatoes, canola oil, salmon meal, smoked salmon, potato fiber, natural flavor, choline chloride, dried chicory root, tomatoes, blueberries, raspberries, yucca schidigera extract, Enterococcus faecium, Lactobacillus casei, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Saccharomyces cerevesiae fermentation solubles, dried Aspergillus oryzae fermentation extract, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin (vitamin B2), vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

Crude Protein Minimum 25.00%
    Crude Fat Minimum 15.00%
    Crude Fiber Maximum 3.00%
    Moisture Maximum 10.00%
    Sodium Maximum 0.30%
    Omega-6 Fatty Acids * Minimum 2.40%
    Omega-3 Fatty Acids * Minimum 0.30%

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2010
  3. Naustroms

Naustroms CH Dog

I used to feed the Wetlands Blend with great results. Some of the best kibble out, about $2.5 per pound. Now I feed raw

4. brindlexpitt

brindlexpitt Top Dog

I feed it and i have had 0 troubles with it. can't say it made my dogs any better on it though, blue buffalo was already just as good for my dogs, cept the price of it kept going up so i switched to totw.

5. Vicki

Vicki Administrator Staff Member

I was using TOTW for a bit, the same formula. Unfortunately, TOTW cannot guarantee that their suppliers do not use ethoxyquin.

Diamond uses it in all of their fish products.

While protection was afforded to the liver, EQ alone caused severe damage to the kidney. Many changes were those of chronic glomerulonephrosis, such that EQ appeared to accelerate the ageing process. In addition, many hyperplastic and putative preneoplastic tubules were visible, suggesting that EQ may be exerting a carcinogenic effect in the kidney.
    http://carcin.oxfordjournals.org/cgi...stract/8/5/723

6. CTG

CTG Big Dog

While there is evidence to suggest that at high doses ethoxyquin may cause reproductive diseases, dermatological, hepatic, renal and thyroid problems, as well as carcinogenesis in dogs, there is really no evidence to support this position in dogs or cats at the FDA-approved levels of ethoxyquin in the diet.

7. popper

popper CH Dog

how is raw coming along for ya?

8. Fatz

Fatz Pup

I use the bison formula. Dogs are doing very well!

9. Naustroms

Naustroms CH Dog

no complaints. I have to constantly fight for freezer space but other than that its all good.

10. ElJay

ElJay CH Dog

I use TOTW Pacific Stream Formula since one of my dogs has bad allergies. I've used other brands with good success, but they were just too pricey. TOTW seems to work great for my two, and it works better for my wallet. Been using it for about a year now.

I would rather do RAW, but I have no room for a freezer and finding cheap meat around here is next to impossible.

11. CTG

CTG Big Dog

me 2 but the old lady isnt going to mess with it if im not around.

12. wonson3

wonson3 Pup

my pup's cool with it. lol.. a cheapest high quality 6 star rated according to dogfoodanalysis.com

I might switch to Orijen when he mature or get to adulthood..

good stuff

13. Zoe

Zoe CH Dog

I'm using the Wetlands one right now. Actually, so far, the only food all my crew seem to do good on. I've been trying forever to find one they can all eat instead of having to store five different kinds of food. lol

14. williewonka1

williewonka1 Big Dog

totw gets a thumbs up from me thats what i feed and unless i go to raw its what ill be feedin!

15. njbulldog

njbulldog Pup

I just switched to TOTW pacific stream. I was using Innova, but my girl started having breakouts of hives. After evaluating everything, one step at a time, I decided to go with a grain free kibble. After a week I see a great improvement. No more scratching at night and nice smooth coat/skin. So far I am happy with it. It is about the same price as Innova adult.

16. QVO RIP

QVO RIP Pup

I tried TOTW for close to 4 months to see if it would be an upgrade to Nature's Variety Prairie, I notice my dogs coats lost their shine and started getting lil dry this was my experience their stool was just the same as with the other brand.

Went back to Prairie less expensive and better results.

Currently Trying Natures Variety Instinct Grain free.

17. Super Sport

Super Sport Big Dog

I use the one in the yellow bag, Bison formula ? I have two seal females and got a lot of comments on on how nice there coats are looks like I sprayed them with armor all.:) I have one that has allergies also and she is doing well on it.

18. AGK

AGK Super duper pooper scooper Administrator

It's a class 5 dog food (there isn't very many foods that make it to that class). I fed it for about a year to all my dogs and they look fantastic on it, I temporaily switched to raw diet but after a month of that I decided to go back to TOTW. Mostly because I don't have the freezer space to properly feed raw and spending 1/2 hr to 45 minutes everyday preparing dog food was too much time for me to want to continue, on a side note I didn't really notice any difference in my dogs looks between the TOTW or the Raw diet with the exception of their stools.......

19. Naustroms

Naustroms CH Dog

The yellow bag is the wetlands blend. AGK, I haven't really noticed a difference in raw vs totw stool stayed the same. Had a problem with leaning out too fast in the winter.

20. AGK

AGK Super duper pooper scooper Administrator

I have the same issues with the dog in my avatar, I can't keep weight on him, he looks conditioned 24/7. I add in tripe to his diet but he still is just a very lean dog, the others all look great on it though.