1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

taking measurements

Discussion in 'Sports & Activities' started by jenniipoo, Jan 11, 2006.

1. jenniipoo

jenniipoo Pup

I dont know if this is the right place to ask BUT I wanted to know the proper way to measure a dog. For example, neck, height, length, and head. What is a hat size or wirth? People measure their dogs in soo many ways, but no one seems to know the proper way around here. They say you measure height from the front shoulder-blades to the ground, other say its mid-back to the ground. Its different what people consider the right way to measure. So anyone that really knows what their talking about, please share. :)

2. TrubsDiary

TrubsDiary Banned

I do believe the UKC measures their dogs at the Withers... unless stated otherwise by the breed standard. that is the only question from your post i know. It is my understanding that the other measurements, (hat, wirth, neck, head) are primarilly used by BYB to advertize their over sized, over fed, over breed, mixed breed golliath's. Most people just use ratios and slightly vague descriptive words when talking about size of head and neck. for example...
    was quoted from the Official UKC Website

FYI: the only reason i use the UKC website as a reference is i was already on it... but i show ADBA.

3. jenniipoo

jenniipoo Pup

THANKS! Thats what I was thinking! I was looking around the web to find out and it seemed like everyone was using different methods to measure their pits. It seemed pretty wierd and I figured it was just a way to advertise SIZE. I wanted to know cause I was looking into buying a shirt or two for my pup and I couldnt figure out how to measure her. I usually buy stuff that I can try on first. Stuff on the web are harder to buy since I dont know her exact measurements.

4. steinlin

steinlin Big Dog

Hello,
    If you go to this link:
    http://www.angelfire.com/mi/pitbulldogs/stuff.html

It has measuring on there..

Yours in the fancy
    steinlin

5. jenniipoo

jenniipoo Pup

Thanks Steinlin!!! That Was Perfect!!!! *hugs*