1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

tail proplem

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by thedude04, Jun 17, 2007.

1. thedude04

thedude04 Top Dog

i was wondering if any one had any insite in to why my dogs tail went limp its been very hot here latley so we have been at the lake alot and one day after coming home i started top notcie his tail was pretty limp it doesnt stay stright its hard to explain what i mean by limp unelss u have seen it so if any one does have any info on why it might have happend and if it well go back to normal theres no pain invaled i can tocuhe it move it and it doesnt bother him and he still wages it even thow he looks rediculase when he does

2. Old Timer

Old Timer CH Dog

sounds to me like he broke it.and even though he is not showing any signs of pain it still needs to be checked by a x-ray machiene.these dogs don't show pain very easy and by the time they do they are in really serious pain.i have seen dogs keep going with busted legs,shoulders and the like.so i would get him to a vet ASAP and get it checked and go from there.

3. maximusflys

maximusflys Big Dog

It's called cold tail, it is really unsure of the cause but alot of dogs getting after swimming and most dogs get from swimming in cold water. it should be back to normal in a couple of days.

4. bahamutt99

bahamutt99 CH Dog

I've had dogs get that in the past. Almost as if they strain it temporarily, and its usually back to normal by the next day. If it lasts more than a day or two, I'd probably see a vet about it.

BoogiemanBlood likes this.
  5. maximus and bahamutt, that is good info. i've never heard of that and you have helped me expand my knowledge! THANKS!

6. marshall619

marshall619 Top Dog

Dudeo4, Looks like Maximus & Bahamutt hit it on the button. Is this how your dog's tail look like?

http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/coldtail.html

thedude04 likes this.
  7. bahamutt99

bahamutt99 CH Dog

Those pics (particularly the drawing) look a lot like my old dog that used to get that from time to time. The tail would "fall" after the first inch or two. She would run around and wag her tail like normal, just, well, floppier. Next day, generally, her tail would bounce right back.

8. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

It's also dubbed "swimmer's tail" as well.

Some old fashioned rest & relaxation should do the trick, but if the dog doesn't begin using it again in a few days, off to the vet.

9. KingCapo

KingCapo Pup

never heard of a cold tail.. i would consult a vet. but then again

10. maximusflys

maximusflys Big Dog

Well, you learned something new today.

11. Verderben

Verderben CH Dog

Very interesting. I also learned something new today. Thanks guys :)

12. chinasmom

chinasmom CH Dog

Never heard of it and would like to see some pics of it.

13. maximusflys

maximusflys Big Dog

Marshall619 posted a link.

14. thedude04

thedude04 Top Dog

thanx for all the help ya the drawing in that link is excatly whatr it looks like and hes starting to use it a hole lot more it was just wierd how it just poped up like that but thank you all so mush for all the great info i to learnd something new if it doesnt go back to noraml in the next day or so ill go have a vet take a look at it