1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

t.garners flea control

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by bdub, Mar 6, 2010.

1. bdub

bdub Top Dog

found this on another forum thought everyone could use this::

After a bit of research I've come across and tested an inexpensive, high quality means of flea control. It is pretty common knowledge that Frontline is the primo means of controlling fleas. It outperforms Advantage by a significant margin. However, it is too expensive for large yards. Frontline typically costs $20-$30 per dog when purchased from your vet.
    After a bit of research I found that the active ingredient, fipronil, is also used in a termite treatment called Termidor SC. This product is available online in 20 ounce bottles for $62.95. Go to http://www.pestproductsonline.com/produ ... -14-0.html
    to purchase.
    To use, measure in a syringe and drop it on your dogs back starting between the shoulder blades and work your way back. Be sure to apply in areas that your dog cannot lick.
    I treated more than 100 dogs with 1 bottle. In fact, given the conversion ratio of 28.4131 ml per fluid ounce, you should be able to treat about 10 44-88 lb dogs per ounce of termidor, or 200 dogs per 20 ounce container. At a typical vet cost of $25 per dog, you can save over $4900 with a single container of Termidor!

Dose it as follows:
    45-88 lbs 2.7 ml
    23-44 lbs 1.4 ml
    00-22 lbs .7 ml
    You can expect high quality flea control for at least a month using this product in this manner. Feel free to crosspost this wherever it might do some good! Tom G. <!--IBF.ATTACHMENT_22121-->
    <!-- THE POST -->

2. CTG

CTG Big Dog

or you can just use permethrin 10%. a qt is like $15 and all you need to use is 4oz.

[​IMG]

3. ElJay

ElJay CH Dog

I use Comfortis, which is a once-a-month pill. Works FANTASTIC for my dogs and a shit-load of other dogs that we put on it at the vet clinic I use to work at. But it is a little pricey, comparable to Frontline. We had problems with fleas becoming immune to Fipronil (Frontline) down here. But BDUB, that's an interesting post. I've never heard of that method before, but it could be a good solution for those that have a big yard and don't have flea-immunity problems to Fipronil. :)

I generally try to stay away from promethrins and permethrins cuz I've seen some dogs, especially young dogs, seniors, and puppies have seizures from being exposed to it. But for the average adult dog it usually won't cause too many problems. Just be sure to follow your label on it.

4. phill

phill Top Dog

here is the cheapest and the best way i found aftea moping your house floors with pine sol dump the water around dog houses, in a spray bottle with 2 50/50 pine sol and water spray dog before washing brush in while dooing for about 10 minutes then wash i always use one shot shampoo the dogs do great

5. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

bumb
    i gotta hear about this stuff!

6. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

he had a post of this on smart-knls.com forum also!;)

7. jumper3202

jumper3202 Big Dog

the best i have found is made by bayer tree n shrubb :tdogwalk2:

8. bdub

bdub Top Dog

yeh thats wherre i found it,figured it may be useful

9. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

I thought there was more to it, guess not...

good post, can't even find it again lol

10. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

before using, read this thread i think it had some concerns about it not sure tho.....(either with dosing of mixing two products together....)?

http://www.game-dog.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35711&highlight=flea+control

worth a read anyway....

11. GI Joe

GI Joe Big Dog

the bayer tree shrub is what i use also.works well and is cost efficient.

12. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

so what do you folks think i was thinking of pickin up some Termidor & Some Permethrin 10%,
    but what do you guys think, will it work or is it a NO NO?

13. act284

act284 Big Dog

where can permethrin be found? is it pretty much used for the same thing as permectrin?

Ive been told by differnt parties to use both ones for skin issues, but have found nothing but contradicting advice

14. bdub

bdub Top Dog

yeh, if you go back on there its in the top 3 posts in the vet section,but that was all of it,,someone also said that you can also get a product called exit x from Pet Supplies | Dog & Cat Supplies | Vaccines | Revival Animal Health or any other insecticide with the main ingredient permethrin at 10% and mix 2 ounce of this with 20 oz of mineral oil and you have a spray on flea and tick repellent. just mix in spray bottle and spay on you dog.

i dig that place

15. CTG

CTG Big Dog

use 4oz permethrin to 20oz mineral oil. it works better.

16. hardluck

hardluck Banned

bumb

ive been using the permectrin II &mineral oil myself. i noticed on the termidor SC it doesnt mention anything specifically on fleas.

termidor SC
    Target pests: Termites, Carpenter Ants, Crazy Ants, Argentine Ants and other ant species including crazy rasberry ants (please see the label). Also labeled as an outside perimeter pest control treatment only for the following pests: Asian Beetles, Boxelder Bugs, Pill Bugs, Centipedes, Cockroaches (Australian, Oriental, Smokey Brown), Crickets, Earwigs, Cluster Flies, Millipedes, Silverfish, Spiders, Brown Dog Ticks, Paper Wasps, and Yellow Jackets. Note: Termidor is not a knockdown product for wasps and yellow jackets.

How about fleas? dont know too much of it,but i dont see why it wouldnt work on fleas. anyone use it? i like the once a month idea on it.

i use the permectrin II because it specifically mentions what im looking for.

permectin II
    Effectively controls fleas, ticks, lice, flies, mites and mosquitoes.

IDK figure id bring it up since summer is bout here. whats everyone else using?

17. bgblok68

bgblok68 CH Dog

Been using Fipronil on the dogs and Permethrin on the yard for 6 years and no fleas,ticks,or spiders. If flies start to bother thier ears spray them with the Permethrin/mineral oil mix. Avoid getting in thier eyes.

18. hardluck

hardluck Banned

bgblok68 your using the same dosages of the fipronil that is given above?

45-88 lbs 2.7 ml
    23-44 lbs 1.4 ml
    00-22 lbs .7 ml

im thinking i could just round these numbers here right? so it would be

45-88 lbs 3ml
    23-44 lbs 1.5 ml
    00-22 lbs 1 ml

i might do as what you are doing and switch to the fipronil and use the permectin II/oil mix as a fly/mosquito repellent. not that it was a hastle to use the permectin II twice a month but once a month treatments with the termidor SC seems alot better. appreciate it

19. bgblok68

bgblok68 CH Dog

Termidor SC/Fipronil 40-50 lb dog = 2 cc/ml once a month. For flies 4oz 10% Permethrine + 20 0z mineral oil in a spray bottle as needed. For the yard and dog houses 4 0z 10% permethrine + 3 gallons of water in a pump up sprayer. I spray of a morning as the dew is drying up about every 10-14 days. If we have a rainy spell wait until it starts to dry up and then spray. Works for me.

20. hardluck

hardluck Banned

thanks, i have the 24oz of the permectin II/oil already, but the info is still great. is that termidor/fipronil oil based or water? basically im asking if the dog gets in any way wet does it come off easily?

thanks for the info, i actually just ordered some online about 15 minutes ago.