1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Swim tanks

Discussion in 'Products & Equipment' started by Buck E. Owens, Apr 5, 2010.

1. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

like bunjee cords?
    :cool:hmmmmm.........makes sense...you think it will have the same affect as a current?

i may just give that one a try.....good idea

2. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

yea i like em too, i just upgraded to a 200 gal. soon as i put em in there (bout a month 1/2 ago) he's grown about 4 inches!!!
    cant wait to start the build though! when i get around to it and finish it ill post the whole project in a thread.

yea they get huge! if i take care of him right he should top out at about 6ft long.

quinton2009 likes this.
  3. kane85

kane85 Top Dog

lol dame what would you feed somthing that big i know they get lil kids by accident in the amazon when the lil ones go swiming say bye to your leg

4. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

ill feed my culls to em! HA HA HA

naw id feed em sardines (from the bait shob), river crawdad, feeders (wild caught bass lol! jk) ya know the same shit really just higher quanity.

im also going to be throwin some giand pacu & peacock bass! maybe a gar for the top swimmer.

who knows i dont even have a house to do it at yet lol

5. kane85

kane85 Top Dog

that would look nice but your going to have to get one hell of a filtration system cause all those fish are messy eaters lol but i would have to give you props if you get a gar in there

6. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

i plan on running a sump with a 100-200 Gal tank.

im also going to run about 5 or 6 (or 7 or 8 if needed)
    fluval FX5 canister filters.

it wont be easy and ill be saving for awile, im guessing ill be spending approx. 1,500-2k on the filtration alone!

but at the end of the day, it will be worth it.

watch ill get it done and set up, then i get evicted lol

7. HighCoastHiker

HighCoastHiker Top Dog

Hey Buck, build yourself one of the plywood tanks you see above. You can either go about fiberglassing as above or simply shop around for a good pond or above-ground pool liner. They will last if you're careful about nails and your dog clawing at the sides.
    Also, remember that even swim tanks stank after a few days. So, if you plan to make it big and keep it going think about a filter. Again, look around. So many folks put up DIY above gound pools each summer and abandon them by fall.......believe me. Or, make it small enough so that you can dump water when it becomes too much to bear and the mosquito larvae start eating your dog alive:)

8. RedGoodbye

RedGoodbye CH Dog

No, I dont know exactly what youre trying to say ??
    Swiming is a cardio exersize with Light resistance. The water does provide resistance period. Its Called friction . You dont need a current etc... a harness a leash and a dock will do. There are many variations and different methods of useing a tank or swiming in general but overall I think most would agree that swiming is a no impact cardio exersize that also provides Light resistance.

9. RedGoodbye

RedGoodbye CH Dog

Put 2 g's as a down payment on a house and you wont have to worry bout being evicted. Be smart dont be a ................ not to tell ya what to do with youre $$$$ just trying to give some food for thought.

10. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

thats what im sayin, lol were agreein on the same points. the only thing is im saying is ITS MUCH HARDER to walk/run in a swimming pool, than it is to swim.

ok answer this.

you can walk in a pool thats chest deep

or

you can swim across the pool.

which one is more physically demanding?

11. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

dude, what state do you live?

2k on a house? theylle laught at me and tell me to get to steppin.

plus im only 23, i dont even got any credit.

12. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

I've got odd ball pumps and you can cut a hole and weld a box style filter, like in a pool, i'd have to look it up to see how they plumb it tho...!

13. Naustroms

Naustroms CH Dog

what do you think a doggy paddle os? the dogs are basically running in the water. but regardless if you run or swim its still a tremendous workout. period.

14. RedGoodbye

RedGoodbye CH Dog

This would depend if I was exausted /fatiged /winded etc... If I were I would mutch rather walk. where my feet are on the solid ground and i can cheet so to speek and catch my wind.After all it IS a wind building exersize for the most part and not a strength gaining exersize. Gets it? This is the part of youre responce i was responding to.
    "i gotta pool lol there is resistance but not enough for a thourough workout"

You are now back peddleing

15. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

ok your right rg, i shouldnt have said " not enough for a thorough workout", wrong choice of words on my part.

BUT do we agree that it is more physically demanding when your body is submerged in water and your feet are touchin the ground, to move forward

as oppose to

feet not touching and just swimming (carrying no weight)

thats the only point i was trying to make.

ive always and still do have the dog swimmin laps in the pool for about 45 min to an hour.

but, ive found better results to have him running (half submerged) agaisnt the current in the stream by my house.

16. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

very true, both are a workout.

but i firmly believe it takes more out of you when your feet are touching the ground & your half submerged as opposed to the water holding a weightless body up.

i wouldnt argue something i havent put myself through. i can go in the pool ans swim swim swim like a fish for hours, but when i runn with my dog in the ravine, im dead in about 30 mins needin to take a break.

both are a workout, but i feel one is just more demanding. and so far ive had better results with the creek then my pool.

but hey as the famous saying goes,
    different strokes, for different folks.

what works for you may not work for me, vice versa

17. RedGoodbye

RedGoodbye CH Dog

OMG, LWG ...listen is there more resistance when youre feet are on the ground? Yes!
    Is swimming best utalized as a strength gaining exersize? NO! it is a cardeo Exersize that also has the benifit of Light resistance. It is best used to build wind and NOT strength. Stop typeing and rationalizeing and explaneing etc... etc... It gets in the way of learning.

18. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

were going in circles bro! we just gonna have to agree to disagree.

bottom line is, i swear by water activities. i personally incorperate both swimming and running in water. both are a good tool for both types of workout rather it being cardio or building strength.

if your routine is working good for you, than great. keep on doin what works.
    and ill keep doin what works for me.

i need a drink lol

19. GI Joe

GI Joe Big Dog

the neighbor has a pond i am going to use

20. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

ive always been curious about that, some ponds have nasty ass green stagnant water.
    is this bad for the dogs to swim in?