1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Swim keep???

Discussion in 'Training & Behavior' started by 21 dre, Aug 7, 2012.

1. Iron Mike

Iron Mike CH Dog

Only a fool would want to be known now days, for those who are known, look what it has cost them...
    The core of the game knows who is whom.
    In fact, years ago, it was much easier to hook up then it is today.
    To many snitches. Not just the other dogman but others who are there!
    Only real dogmen had the dogs then, not pet owners or part time wannabes.
    As from the post from C2K handle on another thread, if you and your dogs are any good, people will find you and know about you......

2. Iron Mike

Iron Mike CH Dog

I think you are a bit confused, I wasn't talking about the dog A.
    BTW the one I was, :)))))))
    Tale of Two Dawgs son. LOL

3. Boze

Boze Top Dog

i dont have to read i can go to his house and ask him. and if you doubt me call and ask him i would love for u to call him and ask him if he thinks swimming would wrk and i will bet u every penny i own he would say yes. and everyone has his videos he sells them to the public. and not everything is revealed in those videos. i have also seen and read stp keep the rebels keep in there own handwriting not in some book. while everyone was using free spinning mills stp was using a hard turning mill and every conditioner that was worth there salt prety much had the same keep with a few tweeks here and there.

4. Boze

Boze Top Dog

no shit thet do road wrk but that running miles and miles tlike the days of old is not done they do run distance but they also do what ios called cross training. sprinting and walking then sprinting again along with long jogs long sogs will get u no where in the ring

5. Iron Mike

Iron Mike CH Dog

And none of those keeps you named did they swim their dog. enough said?

6. Iron Mike

Iron Mike CH Dog

and runners and boxers don't use in their main stay of conditioning swimming...

7. NGK

NGK Top Dog

In Rocky III Rocky ran and swam and he whooped Mr T's ass!!!

Is that all you got, is that all you got, you ain't nothin, my mother hits harder than that!!!! LMMFAO

NGK

8. Lee D

Lee D CH Dog

i dont know any boxers, but years back i knew several men from the Miletich camp and they did TONS of swimming for conditioning.
    we've drove to Davenport many times and they have a pool right there for their workouts. first time i was there was after Frank Miur broke Tims arm and he was in the pool with a bag wrapped around his cast.

not trying to stir the pot, just thought id throw that bit of info in.

9. the.peon

the.peon Top Dog

LOL! No, to be honest you're the one that sounds like an idiot. You really think no new or better ways of conditioning were thought of or actually introduced after say the 60's or 70's? You keep talkin about the past....seems you are living in it and not embracing the present or future. Strides are made in the dogs all the time, just because you didn't do it doesn't makes it not so. I'm not interested in what keep who was using long ago (when you actually were something in the dogs)...the only reason you could go on and on is because i truly believe you are in love with yourself....either that or your scared of being forgotten, lol. Now go admire those chain ornaments.

10. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

Well........cant really say that hes full of shit- hell maybe the OLDTIMERS didnt use swimming- but this is 2012- nutrition,conditioning, ect. Has come a long way in the past 50 years. Folks need to evolve woth the times....

11. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

Lol peon cold as ice boy! I dig it.....

12. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

13. sadieblues

sadieblues CH Dog

Well you know the older generations are pretty set in what worked for them what they saw is what they know to work so why change it? Like my grandma says if it isn't broke don't try and fix it but I have respect for my elders and understand their wisdom and where it comes from. I am not against dogs swimming for means of conditioning although I don't have enough exp conditioning a dog for sports to say which one is more effective. I find it an interesting point about swimming in keeps causing the dog to become congested that's interesting to me something I think is at least worth considering and looking into at least for me a dog's lungs are very important in any sport a dog without air or the air flowing properly through the lungs is not going to last as long as a dog with good air flow so what IM is saying is worth looking into wether you choose to follow his advice or not he obviously speaks from a great deal of exp and that is something to respect wether you agree or not.

14. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

well when u dont evolve with the times, you get left behind.............lol, i agree old timers are stuck in there ways. thats why most r still livin in the 60's.....lol

15. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

what he means by congested is bloated! the dog fills up with water and pisses the rest of the day lol

this happens more when your playin fetch and the dog is swimming and breathing with his mouth open....it does happen, thats why use a creek thats water level is up to theyre chest! thats theyre resistance training (part of it). but i also use free deep water swimming for cardio..... if they dont have a toy in there mouth then they tend not to take in as much water...

16. Naustroms

Naustroms CH Dog

I'd like to know what some of you consider a "swim keep".

I gave up on swimming because it took way too much water and wasn't showing any noticeable gains over mill and flirt work.

17. NGK

NGK Top Dog

Huberts Clancy was a dog that was built all wrong, she was barrel chested, elbows out, pasterns out, knees out sloppy mouth ( jowley as all hell), underbit and over muscled. To look at her you would figure she was nothing more than a junkyard dog but she had more heart than some yards had if you added the dogs hearts up and tallied the numbers. She was a Chocolate rednose of somewhat scattered breeding,, Mostly Heinzl, Coplin, Steinburg and Hammonds. She won 2, both times on a swim keep as she was hard to run and work in the traditional method. Her keep consisted of Springpole and fetching sticks off of a dock with some trail running next to the dirtbike. This method was perfectly suited for her type and without the swimming she wouldn't have had much condition at all as her awkward build dictated that she couldn't compete on a mill keep.

Every dog is different, every keep is different even if the basis of the keep is the same as every dog works differently. Perfect recovery and your 10 steps ahead of the guy who couldn't, perfect feed and your 20 steps ahead. If there was 1 way to condition a dog this would be a pretty boring hobby now wouldn't it...

NGK

18. sadieblues

sadieblues CH Dog

Yeah but it doesn't mean just because times have changed that the methods they used are no longer effective or they stopped working because we live in 2012 if they worked back then they will work today now that doesn't mean their aren't better ways out there but to them they are confident in what they saw to work so why change it. I can see the other side in this sport I always see people refer back to these dog men and what they did and how they became a success with their dogs. Those books and DVD's we pay for today are based off what the older generations of dog men did back then some of the keeps might be outdated but it's up for you to decide what you take from it. IM is speaking from his own exp I don't believe he's telling people not to use swimming during a keep for the hell of it obviously he felt like there was a better way. Just playing devils advocate ....

19. ben brockton

ben brockton CH Dog

Water can increase the depth of respiration through pressure on the lungs lol. you don't see any older folks talking about using a hyperbaric chamber in there keeps but you won't see them advocating one neither. but if we did decide to use one then we'd be " novices" and nobody would remember us LMFAO

20. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

lol.....look, go ahead and feed pro plan n kelloggs if u like also!! the fact is doggers now are more up on game about conditioning then they were then. i personally believe if the old timers ued theyre old methods in todays competition theyd get mowed over!