1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

surgery and recovery

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by robert, Jun 7, 2007.

1. robert

robert Big Dog

My dog will be operated tomorrow because she has a vasculary problem in her rear left leg. She is only 6 months old and there is no other solution but to cut the femur. The vet says that she won't be allowed any running till 6 weeks and that in a year or two she will have recovered full mobility. She suffers from Legg-Perthes-Calve. Anyone heard of that? I checked on the web and it corresponds exactly to all the syptoms. She just doesn't use her leg anymore, cause her hip hurts her too much. If anyone has or had to deal with this can you tell me how it turned out and if there is any good reeducation program?

2. Chef-Kergin

Chef-Kergin Guest

I don't know about that issue, but after the surgery, make sure you keep the dog crated for as long as the vet says. Bring her out on a leash to empty, maybe some lovin where you can keep her calm, but the biggest thing is to make sure you allow the dog to recover. She might look like she's doing better, but those weeks of staying off her feet are very important.

I've never had any problems like that with any dogs I've ever had *kncoks on wood* , but I know there's folks on here who can speak from experience.

3. robert

robert Big Dog

It's amazing how she recovers. She was operated 3 days ago and she starts to use her left leg already. I was worried, but the way things are going I bet i could have her swimming in 3 weeks.

4. robert

robert Big Dog

I am givinf her some extra conditioning powdre which I solve in water. She loves it. It's called "impact" and it is given to endurance dogs. I thought it would be a good idea to boost her a little. Did anyone give his/her dog supplements after a big surgery?