1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Stubborn dog

Discussion in 'Sports & Activities' started by Scratchy, Jul 25, 2009.

1. Scratchy

Scratchy Pup

Got my hides today from Boog. My two youngest dogs( a little over 1yr) just won't take to anything I put in front of them, even the hides. I tried flirt pole and springpole with the hides as well as other enticing methods such as a leather baseball glove soaked in barbecue sauce with bill jack treats in the fingers. I've been trying to work with them for the past 4 months but they're stubborn. I let them watch my older dog work'em and they go crazy but when it's their turn they just ignore it. I even tied them to the tree with enough room to play with it and still nothing.

I'm stuck on them working the spring because of how it's basically a total body workout for them as far as strength is concerned. I've tried all my ideas, anybody got anything else?

2. WWII

WWII Banned

Do they play fetch?

3. Lee D

Lee D CH Dog

pour hamburger grease over a hide. not too much since it will soften it alot. after that first one, they will get a better "taste" for them.

4. Scratchy

Scratchy Pup

Nope and they even hate walks. The weirdest dogs I've ever owned. They're siblings from the same litter. The only command they ever stick with that I trained them on is sit. I tried to train them in everything else the same way I trained them to sit on command, with treats and verbal/physical praises, but it won't work.

Hamburger grease? Don't eat burgers and who has burgers that greasy?

5. Zoe

Zoe CH Dog

Do you think it's a confidence issue or lack of prey drive? Have you tried leashing them up to something and ''teasing'' them with a tug toy to build their frustration? Are you removing the older dog before you let them try the springpole? I've had young dogs that won't work in front of the older dogs but once the dog is removed, they get a little more confidence. How about just rolling a ball or dragging a toy past them. How do they react?

6. Lee D

Lee D CH Dog

all hamburger when fried has some grease left in the pan.....you dont eat any meat at all?

7. Scratchy

Scratchy Pup

It's very much a confidence issue which is why I try so hard to build them up. I've teased them with so many toys. At one point I was playing tug with my young male and he was grabbing the rope and I would let him pull and win. I tried it for a week but after the second day he wouldn't even pay attention to it. What else ya got, I swear I've tried alot. I know a few confidence boosting tricks but none have worked with these 2.

Now removing the older dog, that's sounds good because he does run the yard as of now, although my young male has been getting testy.

I eat meat, just not beef, or pork and whatever meat I do eat I bake it, even my fish. I get what you're saying though. Just put whatever left over grease I have on the hide. I'm willing to try.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2009
  8. WWII

WWII Banned

Personally, I'd let a hog bite them in the ass. If that doesn't get them moving, then I don't know what will.

9. Big Game

Big Game CH Dog

^^^^^Funny and true ^^^^^^

10. Lee D

Lee D CH Dog

i ve seen it work before. give it a try. the grease that is...the hunt would work to though. lol

11. Big Game

Big Game CH Dog

Some dogs simply are a pain in the as$ to work others wont work at all. There have ben dogs like this that have turned out to be Gr Champs with little to no conditioning off of pure ability. Just keep working with them. I wouldent doubt that with persistance thay will come around.

12. rallyracer

rallyracer CH Dog

let them use the hides as a regular chew toy first. from the ~lack~ of tdrive you say they seem to have, it might take some time for them to become interested in them. if they dont like tug of war type games ( losing interest the second day) they might not ever take to the more strenuous spring/flirt pole workouts.
    start em off slow- work up from where you are at, say in a few months. slow and steady helps w/ the confidence
    best of luck

13. WWII

WWII Banned

And I never met a dog that didn't like to walk. That's bizarre if you ask me.

14. Zoe

Zoe CH Dog

Maybe trying something just totally different like a lazer pen or the indestructaball or even those toys where you jam treats in them just to build up their interest in toys in general like Rallyracer was suggesting with letting them chew on the hide. Is there anything they DO like?

15. Bertus

Bertus Pup

Raw bloody meat(beef), with leftoverfluids(left in the sack) just rub that on a hide and work him and just him alone. Did not need it for my dogs but others tried it and it worked for them.

Edit ; the laserpen is good thing, if they react to it i let them run up walls with it.

16. Scratchy

Scratchy Pup

The young male is becoming driven to get onto my bigger dog.
    Short story: He's shown drive when my bitch first came in heat and he got loose from me and had it out with my older dog. That was a tough one to stop. I haven't been totally honest, you'll think I'm crazy but one of the reasons I got the male is because he didn't like being messed with by other dogs whether it was an adult or pup. Don't get me wrong we can be rough with him when playing but he just don't take to toys.The bitch was always playful but being around the male made her more laid back I suppose.

Zoe: They do like when we(my family) wrestle with them, but even then they don't get too involved.

WW2: Me neither

17. Advocate

Advocate Big Dog

I believe dogs feed off the masters energy. If your loose and careless your dog might be the same way, my dogs feed off my vibes, i found they have more fun with music on kinda loud play some Mac Dre and they'll get hyphy i swear, when my dogs listen to the bay area they act really retarded.

18. forty6mantis

forty6mantis Big Dog

hahahaha. hillarious. dogs that are feelin' mac dre? what? i have to try that. maybe some coognut. epheezy. san quinn. my dogs go nuts when i shadow box or hit the heavy bag. but seriously, i don't have one dog that likes to walk straight ahead. they're all sideways and tugging but never straight ahead. treats in a bag along with a pedal bike is the only way to get them to do fast roadwork. try walking them with you in front with food dangling and someone else holding the dog behind you. or the bicycle/food teaser bag method. good luck!

19. BustaH

BustaH Top Dog

I never met a dog that does'nt like to pull from front either when walking, mine pulls like a train.
    like above, maybe get someone to walk ahead of you with a lure of some kind?
    maybe these dogs are just inherently lazy, which would be difficult to understand with this breed:confused:

hog bite in the ass is a good idea, but seriously how about getting them chasing rabbits or something, maybe something like that will switch them on. I wouldnt take them out together either, maybe they are tuned into each other [withe the dominant one leading the way on decision making]

I'm just guessing, kinda weird how they hate walking though, these dogs as you know are very outgoing.:confused:

20. Zoe

Zoe CH Dog

I definitley agree dogs will feed off your energy so if you are frustrated or expecting failure, instead of being excited yourself and hyping them up, they may act accordingly. Body language is huge, too. When the dogs wrestle with you, are you generally on the floor down at their level? My girl Scarling isn't a very confident dog and if she's playing with my daughter and I stand up, she'll stop right away and wander off like she's worried she'll get in trouble, even though she's been playing with her since she's been eight weeks old! lol I've worked with alot of shy/low confidence dogs and it always helps if you get down to their level. It may work if you sit or even lie down on the floor when trying to build their interest/confidence, rolling balls by them {or away from them if the ball coming at them is too much! lol} or dragging a tug toy by them. Even really simple things like having your body not facing directly at them but turned to the side, or averting eye contact can make them feel less intimidated. I've even had dogs that would be geeked out if you praised them too enthusiastically so VERY gentle praise and encouragement can help if it's a confidence issue. I've even play bowed to dogs to let them know I was not a threat! lol

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2009