1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Steve Irwin AKA crocodile hunter killed

Discussion in 'R.I.P.' started by Bullyboi, Sep 4, 2006.

1. Bullyboi

Bullyboi CH Dog

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060904/ap_on_en_tv/obit_irwin_4

BRISBANE, Australia - Steve Irwin, the Australian television personality and environmentalist known as the "Crocodile Hunter," was killed Monday by a stingray during a diving expedition, Australian media said. He was 44.

Irwin was filming an underwater documentary on the Great Barrier Reef in northeastern Queensland state when the accident occurred, Sydney's The Daily Telegraph newspaper reported on its Web site. The Australian Broadcasting Corp. said Irwin was diving near Low Isles near the resort town of Port Douglas, about 1,260 miles north of Brisbane.

A helicopter carrying paramedics flew to the island, but he died from a stingray barb to the heart, ABC reported on its Web site.

Telephone calls to Australia Zoo, Irwin's zoo in southern Queensland, were not immediately answered.

Irwin is famous for his enthusiasm for wildlife and his catchcry "Crikey!" in his television program "Crocodile Hunter," which was first broadcast in Australia in 1992 and has aired around the world on the Discovery channel.

He rode his image into a feature film, and developed the Australia Zoo as a tourist attraction.

Irwin had received some negative publicity in recent years. In January 2004, he stunned onlookers at his Australia Zoo reptile park by carrying his 1-year-old son into a crocodile pen during a wildlife show. He tucked the infant under one arm while tossing the 13-foot reptile a piece of meat with the other.

Authorities declined to charge Irwin for violating safety regulations.

Later that year, he was accused of getting too close to penguins, a seal and humpback whales in Antarctica while making a documentary. Irwin denied any wrongdoing, and an Australian Environment Department investigation recommended no action be taken against him.

2. oh that sucks I love that show. Probally one of my favorite shows to watch. Cant help laughing at his silly cracks whyle he nearly gets bit by a deadly snake. He was funny as hell. kindove reminds me of our atillia with an austrailian accent HEHE

3. NC

NC CH Dog

Well its sad and all.. and I enjoyed his show, and I give his wife and kid my sympathies.. but I mean come on! You had to see this coming, you play with gasoline and matches long enough you're bound to set yourself on fire sooner or later. I just always figured it would have been a croc that did him in.

4. ghost 1

ghost 1 CH Dog

but at least he died doing what he loved to do,,,instead of what he had to do

5. bahamutt99

bahamutt99 CH Dog

I just assumed that it was going to be something ordinary that did him in, instead of something you'd expect to see happen like a lethal bite from a venomous animal. Really sucks either way. I know some real-life herp people who thought he was BS, but it doesn't change the fact that he was a funny personality, a Pit Bull (type) owner, and he had a show that encouraged interest in, and respect for, wild animals. RIP, Croc Hunter.

6. MercedesMama

MercedesMama Guest

That's terrible! I love that show. I never expected something like that. I also figured a snake or croc would get him.

7. gator

gator Big Dog

Never thought the guy would go out that way a stingray barb to the heart OUCH........

8. missybee16

missybee16 CH Dog

It was only a matter of time. RIP Steve.

9. CB

CB CH Dog

Yeah that sucks. I had someone call me at 7:00 this morning (went to bed at 5:00) and woke my ass up to tell me this. Havnt been back to bed yet. But everybody that watched his show knew that this day was coming he was TOO brave.

10. OhRex

OhRex Pup

Aww, that is so sad.He was fun to watch. He is in a better place now.

11. chrisgr212

chrisgr212 Big Dog

i didnt know him but i am sure he was a brave man
    r.i.p.

12. Bullyboi

Bullyboi CH Dog

Here is another article ..... RIP steve irwin :(

http://articles.news.aol.com/entertainment/_a/stingray-kills-crocodile-hunter/20060904005509990001

CAIRNS, Australia (Sept. 4) -- Steve Irwin, the hugely popular Australian television personality and conservationist known as the "Crocodile Hunter," was killed Monday by a stingray while filming off the Great Barrier Reef. He was 44.

Irwin was at Batt Reef, off the remote coast of northeastern Queensland state, shooting a segment for a series called "Ocean's Deadliest" when he swam too close to one of the animals, which have a poisonous barb on their tails, his friend and colleague John Stainton said. "He came on top of the stingray and the stingray's barb went up and into his chest and put a hole into his heart," said Stainton, who was on board Irwin's boat at the time.

Crew members aboard the boat, Croc One, called emergency services in the nearest city, Cairns, and administered CPR as they rushed the boat to nearby Low Isle to meet a rescue helicopter. Medical staff pronounced Irwin dead when they arrived a short time later, Stainton said.

Irwin was famous for his enthusiasm for wildlife and his catchword "Crikey!" in his television program "Crocodile Hunter." First broadcast in Australia in 1992, the program was picked up by the Discovery network, catapulting Irwin to international celebrity.

He rode his image into a feature film, 2002's "The Crocodile Hunters: Collision Course" and developed the wildlife park that his parents opened, Australia Zoo, into a major tourist attraction.

"The world has lost a great wildlife icon, a passionate conservationist and one of the proudest dads on the planet," Stainton told reporters in Cairns. "He died doing what he loved best and left this world in a happy and peaceful state of mind. He would have said, 'Crocs Rule!'"

Prime Minister John Howard, who hand-picked Irwin to attend a gala barbecue to honor President Bush when he visited in 2003, said he was "shocked and distressed at Steve Irwin's sudden, untimely and freakish death."

"It's a huge loss to Australia," Howard told reporters. "He was a wonderful character. He was a passionate environmentalist. He brought joy and entertainment and excitement to millions of people."

Irwin, who made a trademark of hovering dangerously close to untethered crocodiles and leaping on their backs, spoke in rapid-fire bursts with a thick Australian accent and was almost never seen without his uniform of khaki shorts and shirt and heavy boots.

Wild animal expert Jack Hanna, who frequently appears on TV with his subjects, offered praise for Irwin. "Steve was one of these guys, we thought of him as invincible," Hanna, director emeritus of the Columbus (Ohio) Zoo and Aquarium, told ABC's "Good Morning America" Monday.

"The guy was incredible. His knowledge was incredible," Hanna said. "Some people that are doing this stuff are actors and that type of thing, but Steve was truly a zoologist, so to speak, a person who knew what he was doing. Yes, he did things a lot of people wouldn't do. I think he knew what he was doing."

Irwin's ebullience was infectious and Australian officials sought him out for photo opportunities and to promote Australia internationally.

Irwin's ebullience was infectious and Australian officials sought him out for photo opportunities and to promote Australia internationally.

His public image was dented, however, in 2004 when he caused an uproar by holding his infant son in one arm while feeding large crocodiles inside a zoo pen. Irwin claimed at the time there was no danger to the child, and authorities declined to charge Irwin with violating safety regulations.

Later that year, he was accused of getting too close to penguins, a seal and humpback whales in Antarctica while making a documentary. Irwin denied any wrongdoing, and an Australian Environment Department investigation recommended no action be taken against him.

Stingrays have a serrated, toxin-loaded barb, or spine, on the top of their tail. The barb, which can be up to 10 inches long, flexes if a ray is frightened. Stings usually occur to people when they step on or swim too close to a ray and can be excruciatingly painful but are rarely fatal, said University of Queensland marine neuroscientist Shaun Collin.

Collin said he suspected Irwin died because the barb pierced under his ribcage and directly into his heart. "It was extraordinarily bad luck. It's not easy to get spined by a stingray and to be killed by one is very rare," Collin said.

News of Irwin's death spread quickly, and tributes flowed from all quarters of society.

At Australia Zoo at Beerwah, south Queensland, floral tributes were dropped at the entrance, where a huge fake crocodile gapes. Drivers honked their horns as they passed.

"Steve, from all God's creatures, thank you. Rest in peace," was written on a card with a bouquet of native flowers.

"We're all very shocked. I don't know what the zoo will do without him. He's done so much for us, the environment and it's a big loss," said Paula Kelly, a local resident and volunteer at the zoo, after dropping off a wreath at the gate.

Stainton said Irwin's American-born wife Terri, from Eugene, Ore., had been informed of his death, and had told their daughter Bindi Sue, 8, and son Bob, who will turn 3 in December.

The couple met when she went on vacation in Australia in 1991 and visited Irwin's Australia Zoo; they were married six months later. Sometimes referred to as the "Crocodile Huntress," she costarred on her husband's television show and in his 2002 movie.

13. debodebo

debodebo Top Dog

R.I.P. Crocidile Hunter

14. Dirty3rd

Dirty3rd Big Dog

That's a messed up deal. At least he died doing what he loved. R.I.P. "Crocodile Steve"

15. pennsooner

pennsooner CH Dog

I feel for his wife and children. His staffybull was one bred to hunt wild pigs,and if there was ever a case of a man and his dog being a good match, that was it. RIP

16. Attila

Attila Guest

Ya, I am better looking though. lol I pray I don't go out that way though. Better to go fast and happy than any other way. Suck for the wife and kids.

17. Riptora

Riptora CH Dog

Terrible loss... [​IMG]RIP

18. ChAnimal

ChAnimal Big Dog

HE WAS BS???? WHEN WHERE AND WHY???? There is nothing BS about what he used to do, all real. Tell the "real-life" herp people that jealousy is a CURSE.

19. SMOKIN HEMI

SMOKIN HEMI CH Dog

Yeah his death was sad an all feel sorry for his wife and children...

20. mydawgs

mydawgs CH Dog

Looks like Steve and Terri loved the breed as well. Here is Sui their Pit. How sad this is, and what a way to go...yuk. I grew up in the south pacific and I can't imagine that injury.

http://www.trupitbull.com/FamousPeople.html

scroll down to see Sui