1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Standing the line on a courtesy

Discussion in 'APBT History' started by NC, Sep 14, 2009.

1. NC

NC CH Dog

This is just a question I'd like ya'll's opinion on.....

I was told a story about a dog that made his Champion and was going out for #4 the losing side picked up at the 1 hour mark and offered a courtesy scratch to the winner..... the winning side accepted and when they released the dog stood the line.

Now... what would you consider this dog? Even though the match has been won is the dog a cur for not scratching? Is he smart for knowing the match is over.... Or should he just scratch no matter what as long as he's standing on his own four legs with his eyes open?

Personally I don't care for the idea of the courtesy scratch especially not of the winning dog....

2. TheVictor22

TheVictor22 CH Dog

Damn i could have swore you asked this question here too. Thats why i didn't do it a long time ago. i must be loosing it... lol

Vic

3. NC

NC CH Dog

Nah I asked it other forums... but I was curious as to the response from here as well. If it has been asked here.. I couldn't find it ;)

4. MrMark

MrMark Big Dog

The dog doesn't know the match is over. If the dog is to "toe the line" with another dog across the box then you bet your ass he should be scratching, if he's able to (meaning...is the dog standing and breathing?).

Fact is, is that since the courtesy was granted and this particular gentleman's dog did not scratch, not only may he have a cur, but it's also very embarrassing for him as well, lol.

My mentor who is now in his late 70's and a legend in the gamedog world is not a fan of courtesy scratches also. He said he rarely ever did it and rarely ever granted it! This is a classic reason why.

5. NC

NC CH Dog

Thats about the same thing I was told by an old dogman buddy of mine...

He said when they offered me a courtesy I'd say ... Bet me he won't go....

He then said to me look these dogs are prize fighters you ever heard of any boxing championing fighting for free? With the courtesy scratch you got nothing to gain... your dog has already proved he'll scratch during the match.

6. MrMark

MrMark Big Dog

About word for word with my mentor...aint that something, lol!

7. NC

NC CH Dog

Indeed it is... lol.. but my guy ain't in his 70s yet ;)

8. Aaaaah, a thread worth replying to.....:cool:

IMO, a dog should do what it is asked to do by its handler. A dog that stands the line on all fours on his courtesy may or may not be a cur but it is certainly not the definition of a game dog. It may be a multi winner with good ability but it will surely not scratch at anything in front of him (given the right circumstances).

If you want to breed for mere winners is one thing but breeding for game dogs requires better judgement.

Are you in it for the Ws or to test your stock? Now, that is the big question.:cool:

9. TheVictor22

TheVictor22 CH Dog

Yeah that makes since to me NC...I wouldn't accept, if I were to accept I wouldnt be for free........

But if he got air in his lungs n he able to stand.....then his ass better GO!

Vic

10. MrMark

MrMark Big Dog

LOL, hallelujah! What's up, 'ol friend?

11. therealjudge

therealjudge CH Dog

one who stands the line and is counted out is the definition of a cur. most intelligent people (back in the day of course)would scratch to win. if you pick up, the opponent must scratch to win, why would you not want that unless you doubt the one that you brought?
    j

12. AGK

AGK Super duper pooper scooper Administrator

Why would the winner want a courtesy scratch? The loser is the one with something still to prove (depending on how he lost.)?

13. NC

NC CH Dog

Exactly... the winning dog has proved he'll go.. the losing dog is the one thats got to prove he's still willing.

I was always told if the dog is standing on his own, eyes open... he should go regardless of whether he's scratching into a fresh dog or a dead dog.

14. AGK

AGK Super duper pooper scooper Administrator

I've never came across that before or maybe I just never noticed it, in my internet reading:D

15. gh32

gh32 CH Dog

That's a good question.IMHO the dog should be willing to go,but I think it's a really poor decision to put the dog in that situation.The loser might have something to gain by a courtesy scratch but the winner has nothing to gain at all.

16. Bobby Rooster

Bobby Rooster CH Dog

The RULES state that which ever dog completed the last scratch wins, this is scratch in turn, NO Where in the rules does it say a dog must Scratch to win.

If a dog A gave it his all scratching to his foe dog B, and then Dog B stood the line, Dog A does NOT need to scratch again!! The dog that fails to scratch LOOSES! Game OVER! Pick the dogs up and go home, IMO anything more shows 0 respect to God's creatures... Even a rank Curr deserves Respect for he is a living thing.

And X2 on what ABK said, why would the Winner ask for a courtesy scratch?? Unless it's scratch to Win BS which I explained as pointless and stupid IMO...

In any Case, a Dog that does NOT scratch is NO part Game Dog, Don't know what he is, but he's not 100% American Game Dog like Rocky said!

JM2C

good posts NC, Vic Rocky!

17. preme

preme CH Dog

i agree good reply physicaly able he should go , just my thoughts..

18. preme

preme CH Dog

nc good post.
    preme

19. NC

NC CH Dog

Well in this particular story that I was told... the winner didn't ask for a courtesy scratch.... the losing side offered... again I'm not sure why as I don't see the point in letting you chew on my already beat dog....

20. Lee D

Lee D CH Dog

i agree, if theirs air in the lungs and feet underneath the dog, it better go. what i dont get is if the losing side picked up, why in the hell would you bother with the courtesy? like its been said, maybe for a side bet?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2009