1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

staff -n- pitts

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by bigsho, Jul 30, 2004.

1. bigsho

bigsho Pup

are there any real differences between amstakks and pitts. i keep reading conflicting stories. is there any difference in size?

2. Crash97

Crash97 Top Dog

Yep, they were once the same breed, now they're separate from each other. AmStaf's are generally more bulky, bigger, less game. They've been bred primarily for show, and size. APBT's on the other hand have been bred for go, performance oriented activities like weight pull, hog hunting, catch dog, and yes the original reason for the invention of the breed, fighting. Now these are not the only things each breed is known for, I'm sure I've left out a few. Hope I helped clear it up.

3. Nitrous

Nitrous Guest

It sounded about right to me:)

4. bigsho

bigsho Pup

appreciate the info. I just got an amstaff for an engagement present from my girl. im new with these types of breeds(used to have boxers). any other tips on training diet and activities for these breeds would be appreciated. thanx

5. Nitrous

Nitrous Guest

I don't know much about amstaffs and what kind of conditioning or diet they need, maybe about the same as a pit ::shrugs::

6. blackbeard

blackbeard Big Dog

Back in the day they were the same. But people started breeding them for different purposes.The ones that were bred for appearance were recognized by the AKC under the acceptable name of American Staffordshire Terrier. You see the folks at the AKC didn´t want the word "Pit" in the name. The American Pit Bull Terrier was then recognized by the UKC. Then it happened again, the UKC was getting more into appearance(show dogs),and then came the ADBA who registered dogs who were bred for their performance not their looks. I think today the ADBA is going in the same direction that the AKC and the UKC went through($$$).Us gamers are gonna need a new registry to save our asses and the dignity of our breed.

7. Nitrous

Nitrous Guest

That is very true, all they care about is money and stuff now, too much commercial,but it happends to just about everything is this money hungry world:(

8. B-I-Z

B-I-Z Big Dog

yes the root of all evil...

9. Nitrous

Nitrous Guest

Why do we need money so bad to live, i'm begining to think the only reason we have school is to grow up, get a good job, and get paid, it all just sucks, oh well, life is life...

10. Crash97

Crash97 Top Dog

Now your catchin on.....lol Stand up, revolt against the machine.....

11. GrChPitBitch

GrChPitBitch Big Dog

I agree... Its all about lining the pockets... I hate it... I grew up taught to live off the land and love... but nowadays....
    As far as registration goes.. what about AADR?? Anyone use it?? Any luck?? I know that this breed is in big trouble... IMO they are turning into a statis symbol to most... No longer seen as a beutiful animal, but a "bling-bling"... Its bullshit... drives me CRAZY!!
    O well, what can ya do..?
    [​IMG]

12. blackbeard

blackbeard Big Dog

I´m using the AADR. I met Terry its founder at a BBQ at a friends house whose kennel i´ll be managing shortly. Terry knows in what direction he wants to take his registry. It will be like the AdBA was about 20 years ago when Ralph Greenwood started it.But after Greenwood passed away it became more of a business($$$) than anything else.Maybe the AADR in 20 years will be the ADBA of today.Who knows? What I do know is that we need an alternative really quick,and the AADR is providing just that. By the way that kennel i´ll be running has probably the best of Cardena´s CH Shorty blood available. Any inquiries feel free to ask.