1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

springpole; on or off the ground?

Discussion in 'Sports & Activities' started by poundAPBT, Sep 14, 2008.

1. poundAPBT

poundAPBT Big Dog

I'm starting up Gracie's conditioning again (after a summer of being stagnant).

So my question; should I have the springpole on or off the ground to build the muscle on the side of her chest (sorry, don't know the name of it)?

[​IMG]

When Gracie uses her springpole on the ground (using it on her back two feet), she thrashes instead of pulling the bite surface.

Here's a video comparing on/off the ground;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmlIwBagj3U

2. BullDog143

BullDog143 Big Dog

I know it looks cooler with the dog swinging off the ground but it isnt safer. Get the spring pole right where her two back feet can touch the ground and thats the safest way with the best work out. When i work my dogs on the spring pole i like them with there 2 back feet on the ground and they work harder and gives you better results. Remember HoneyBunch supposly died on a spring pole because the owners had the spirng pole to high and she fell off a broke her back. So dont ruin a dog just because you think it looks cool for them to swing.

3. poundAPBT

poundAPBT Big Dog

haha... didn't think it looked "cool," but thanks for the advice.

4. part two is very dangerous!! she could fall and do some damage !!! what we do is we have it high but with the dogs back legs touching the ground but like on their tippy toes. that way the can still land right if needed.

5. BullDog143

BullDog143 Big Dog

No i definatly didnt say you were doing that to make it look cool i was just saying that alot of people do that just for there joy. Sorry if i made it seem that way.

6. BullDog143

BullDog143 Big Dog

7. Flipside

Flipside CH Dog

Best results is with all 4 feet on the ground when shes tugging.

YIS

8. I like to run everything through a pulley so that you can change levels while the dog is in hold.. I never let them get too high off the ground but I like to have them work it at varing levels while there in hold...

9. GSDbulldog

GSDbulldog CH Dog

I used to allow them to "get air", until one of my dogs suffered a pretty bad injury to his rear leg and we had to thus halt all conditioning measures.

It's definitely safer to have at least two legs on the ground. All four provides the most efficient work-out, but I know that some dogs just don't like to keep their feet on the ground.

10. chinasmom

chinasmom CH Dog

Hey pound. I see what your saying. She's not really pulling and tugging while on the ground, but it is safer. I think you need to put a hula-hoop around her waist and film that cause she was really getting it on. That was so funny. She is a pretty girl.

11. poundAPBT

poundAPBT Big Dog

Thanks for the responses, everyone. I lowered the bite surface as soon as I went outside today.

LOL, I wonder if that would actually work...:)

12. bahamutt99

bahamutt99 CH Dog

I've got mine hung to where if they pull hard enough, they can get all 4 feet on the ground. Mostly, though, the two front feet are off the ground. I have to hang it that high because otherwise, Terra will just stand and chew pieces out of the hide.

[​IMG]

Its a little low in this pic. I moved the hide up higher afterward.

13. PrNc

PrNc Pup

This person is actually me... and if you read the comments, You will know that my dog is safe in there, he's obviously atached too! he loves to do that, and I love my dog too much!

14. pitbullin

pitbullin Big Dog

15. bahamutt99

bahamutt99 CH Dog

You know that's not a flirtpole, right?

16. marshall619

marshall619 Top Dog

Wow, why would you even do something like that? My dog loves to eat sh!t, but do I let him? What is the dog getting from this? I think you love it more than the dog does. Funny posts today, first I read about a male in heat & now this....:(

17. pitbullin

pitbullin Big Dog

no she doesent know thats not a flirtpole....

look at the comments she made on her u tube.....

when are you people gonna learn to quit talking to these phucktards and just cull them.....

they can do no good for our breed...

Just like our dogs....

You cant TEACH them anything...
    Its all in how there BRED...

your either game or cur...stupid or smart...

there are no grey area's....

and well like i said. read her comments. when somthing is unwilling.... shoot it in the head and get a new one and start all over....

18. PrNc

PrNc Pup

Come on, you know that's not the same thing... don't compare those things this way because it will lead in some other discussions about what dogs loves to do... and people let them do.. or not... and it's illegal, know what I mean?

"What is the dog getting from this? "
    Fun!

"I think you love it more than the dog does"

You are wrong believe me, he loves it more than me, I do the rope for myself too, I go in there sometimes like tarzan!

19. PrNc

PrNc Pup

Yes, I know that's not a flirtpole!