1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Spring Pole

Discussion in 'Sports & Activities' started by CB, Jun 16, 2005.

1. CB

CB CH Dog

i made my boy a spring poll today and he doesnt want to play with it at all he's not to in to the pull ropes, but he is into stuffed animals how can i get him to play with this thing. I did see a rope toy at petsmart that has a stuffed toy attached to it should i go and buy that.

2. I would love someone to ansrew this question. My pup doesn't want anything to do with his spring pole, but a stuffed animal all i can say for that is R.I.P.

3. D.R KING

D.R KING GET OFF MY LINE...

Did you play tug-o-war with him when he was pup? maybe he just doesnt know what to do. Try hanging a stuff animal up the rope and try to get him to jump, when he does, give him praise, treat etc

4. B

B CH Dog

Many dogs won't touch a spring pole to start with. You might try to use a flirt pole with real animal hide (local taxidermy shop can provide) to coax him into playing with it. After he gets real hot and heavy on the hide, attach it to the spring pole. Many dogs that won't work a springpole will happily work it after a real animal hide is attached.

Regards,

B

5. CB

CB CH Dog

I have had him on the flirt pole when he was young he was great with it, I play tug-o-war with him all the time to i even got to the point where i put my teeth on it and tugged on it while he was watching and then that did turn out great i had the damn neighbor watching me and the dog looked at me like was from outta this world lol. I put a stuffed animal on it and he jumped on it and tugged it out and ran off with it and tore it up. LMAO i cant get him to do nothing with it. Its not high up its about 3 feet off the ground and his front feet are abotu 2 inches off the ground. HELP

6. CB

CB CH Dog

please need help

7. My dogs weren't into the sprinpole at first either. One reason is I had it hanging from a tree in the yard. They had all the room to run around and chase each other. In other words they were side tracked.

So I hung one in their 10x10 kennel. I guess while I was at work they were board and started to play with it. And the rest is history, They wont leave the damn thing alone.

Geo

8. CB

CB CH Dog

LMAO i went to Petsmart got a stuffed toy that is attached to a rope and he tore that aprart and now he is playing with the ropes i also have mine on a tree just until i move this weekend. And the damn dog wont stop playing with it. But im only going to let him play with it when im around because there are some stumps around and ill just watch him. By the way what should i get as a pole to hang it up on in the middle of a yard. I was thinking like a mailbox stand but its to short.

9. tnob

tnob Big Dog

I used a 12 ft 4x4 and made a mailbox looking setup. Works great!

10. CB

CB CH Dog

wow 12 feet that means he would be in the air about 2 ft. i want his back feet touching the ground so he wont get hurt.

11. Use the 12ft 4x4 like tnob said. Hang a garage door spring from the top, then attach the rope to the spring. You can make the rope as short or long as you want. Remember you need to put the 4x4 at the very least 2 foot in the ground. So that only makes it 10 ft off the ground. Plus the 3 ft. spring. Now your at 7ft from the ground. Hope this helps

Geo.

12. CB

CB CH Dog

I see what yall are saying now i will that.

13. Good Luck with it and have fun!!!!

14. CB

CB CH Dog

oh yeah i will its amusing seeing how fun my dog is having with it, its reliable and he cant really break it.

15. tnob

tnob Big Dog

I get a kick outta watching the dogs on it. They moan like they are having the time of their life. I have 2 pups that are 7 months old that can hangtime for 2 or 3 mins at a time. They will work the springpole till they fall asleep if I would let them.

16. TxDogger

TxDogger Big Dog

I had a young dog that wouldn't use the springpole so I tried the animal hide (tanned rabbit) He is now a year and a half and I actually have to go out and throw the spring over the pole so he can't get it. He hangs on it everytime another dog looks at him wrong
    I hear this squeek squeek all night long, so I would definetally recomend the hide.

17. CB

CB CH Dog

well my do loves things that have a sound to it like so im going tommorow to get a little bell to hang on the rope so he will like it more then he does now do any of yall have pictures of your spring poles.

18. I dont mean to sound stupid, but do you use hides with or with out fur?? At a local farm store here (Atwoods) they have some, but the still have fur And I wasn't for sure if that was what y'all were talking about...

19. Rockstar

Rockstar CH Dog

Either will work...I use denim;)

20. CB

CB CH Dog

yeah well i just got back from outside i took my boy off the chain he was really hyper and as soon as i took him off he ran and jumped on the spring pole and wouldnt get off the thing but it got to hot for me so i had to take the rope off to get him off but im pleased how these things work.