1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

spring pole work

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by hnelson, Dec 28, 2011.

1. hnelson

hnelson Big Dog

I have a 14 month old bitch who will not work the pole to save her life. Also i here cow hide is the best to get dogs working one thanks in advance!

2. Dunlap 1

Dunlap 1 Big Dog

patience...I have a few dogs that won't work but their getting there. Just takes time and soon enough, she will get it.

3. Nash

Nash Big Dog

Cow hide worked for me to get a dog more interested in working the spring pole.
    You can also try and let her take interest in the toy you attach to the spring pole before you hang it. Always stop the play and do not let the dog loose interest by herself and get bored.

4. kalenhcc

kalenhcc Big Dog

Mine was the same way. I put a cow hide on the flirt pole and let him work that over to get him interested then put it on the spring pole that solved my problem.

5. Hamish

Hamish Pup

I had one wouldnt do it at all less i was on other end ,he loved flirtpole and if i held it upright with end in ground supported by my foot he would work that like springpole but hang it up n he just bark at it lol , some dogs just wont do some things

6. mike916

mike916 Pup

x2 harnish .... mine will tug on flirt pole all day but spring she will only hit it for a minute or two ... however she will jump up grab tree branches and pull on them till they break ... i guess i have to find the right thing as well i will try cowhides.

7. BEHAVIN

BEHAVIN Top Dog

attach the hide to some rope, drag the hide around on the ground so the dog can catch it, play tug with the dog., while doing this attach the rope to the spring pole but leave it touching the ground, let the dog play tug while giving some encouraging words and pats.
    you may need to repeat this step a couple of times. the dog should be able to keep all four feet on the ground while working. later at the most, raise the hide so that the dog will only have its front feet off the ground about an inch while it is working, thus letting its front feet touch the ground occassionlly.
    D'S....

8. fonzie

fonzie Top Dog

Take time everything takes time