1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

"Spikey Collars" yay or nay?????

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by Suki, Feb 23, 2007.

1. Suki

Suki Guest

"Spikey Collars" yay or nay?????

Recently, a discussion regarding "spiked collars" has come up with me and someone 'on line' and it got me wondering what the general concensus on here is regarding, not only "pit bulls" but also other breeds of dogs targeted by BSL as well, who 'sport' those "spikey collars".
    The feeling stated was, "make the dogs look like "killers", so once approached, the public can see just how wrong their thinking was, and that these dogs who wear these 'collars' are not as "killer" as the public makes them out to sound, but are, in fact, just the opposite. Sorta like a reverse psychology thing, I think that poster means.
    Anyhow, what are your feelings about spikey collars and how do they, if at all, in your opinion, affect the publics' view regarding the dogs who wear them?
    Just curious, as I have my own personal opinion, but would like to hear others as well.
    Thanks for any replies!

2. Re: "Spikey Collars" yay or nay?????

another fashion accessory for someone who thinks the dog is a fashion accessory. IMO

anyone who doesn't agree, please name one good reason for having such a collar. i'd take 1 Stillwater collar over a 100 of them pieces of shit any day!

3. TripleJ

TripleJ CH Dog

Re: "Spikey Collars" yay or nay?????

I hate them they will rub on you and poke you with them. I dont care what other people look at my dogs and think . well no on really sees my dogs other than who I let see them. But my house dog never has one he would hurt my girl with it. And I my self think they look retarted. I would reather just put a bandana on them for looks they look cooler that way and not meen. Yis J

4. ABK

ABK Rest In Peace

OK, now this is JMHO but ...

I think those spiked collars are just for ppl who have tiny wees. They have to make their big, bad dog look even bigger & badder by sticking a spiked collar on it.

As for the "reverse psychology" thing that sounds like a bunch of horse-hocky. You put a collar like that on an already fearsome looking dog & I highly doubt ppl are going to flock to the dog so they can meet it!

Now a nicely decorated collar is one thing, but a collar bristling w/ spikes? My vote is nay.

Again, JMHO ...

5. Attila

Attila Guest

I think they are just a collar. At one time spiked collars were used for protection dogs against predators. Now it is just a fashion statement and of no real use. I believe that BSL supporters will find any damn excuse to be a pain in the ass and the collars are just one more thing they pick at. They don't like our two inch collars either. I think bsl supporters should do every one a favor and drink drano and leave people alone.

6. Re: "Spikey Collars" yay or nay?????

lmao......AMEN BROTHER!

7. Re: "Spikey Collars" yay or nay?????

For the look= retarded . But I think it could help the dog on a hunt . Could save from bites (wolve, batcher, bear whatever).

8. Re: "Spikey Collars" yay or nay?????

Hit the nail on his ugly head!

9. Attila

Attila Guest

They can assist if designed right.

10. ChiaPit

ChiaPit Top Dog

I think if the collar is actually serving a purpose (for protection during a hunt or something) then its fine, but if its being worn to Petsmart or for a walk down the road for no apparent reason then I agree with ABK and its probably to draw everyones attention away from the lack of manhood that is on the other end of the leash. :D

11. SouthernDixie

SouthernDixie CH Dog

I agree....

My ex slapped a spiked collar on Dixie thinking it made her look cool. When they'd go on car rides, spiked collar. Walks (when I wasn't home), spiked collar. He was such a loser.

12. cheekymunkee

cheekymunkee Top Dog

I think they are stupid, they serve no purpose other than to poke you or your dog & they give the dog a negative image.

13. Michele

Michele Guest

LMAO Attila....

They make a good weapon on the streets of New York City...the collar, not the dog...

14. Re: "Spikey Collars" yay or nay?????

I must agree with a few others that have stated: "can be used to assist in hunting for protection" but that's it. I could see where that would help.

As far as this reverse pyschology goes...thats a bunch of BS....if people already think that the dogs are killers, they sure as hell will NOT approach one, that now LOOKS like it just might be. I think they are very negative image for any breed at battle with BSL.....

now for your little breeds, terriers, chiuauas, I say they are fine, they are not battling BSL and on THEM, I think they are cute, because it somewhat defines their personality a little bit to me.

Once again, I do not agree with anbody owning a pit bull/breed using these collars....They have ones with bullets in them as well....:confused:....What kind of image are they portraying for this dog? Lousy collars, and I think they should be over-all banned from public retail.

P.S.
    SUKI:
    I think that this person you were talking with is somehow trying to justify the use of these collars....JMHO
    I don't believe anybody in their mind would suggest this unless they had an ulterior motive...just my thoughts!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2007
  15. MercedesMama

MercedesMama Guest

I dont much care for them anymore. When Ozzy was given to us he, that's what his owner had on him, so we bought a matching one for Bentley. They werent outrageous, just small spikes. They just made me nervous having them on while playing. I was so afraid that they would put each other's eyes out. I also just realized how stupid they looked, and what people really thought when they saw these young kids, with pit bulls wearing spiked collars, not good.

16. ABK

ABK Rest In Peace

Studded collars aren't bad so long as they're tasteful, but I don't like spikes.

17. Old Timer

Old Timer CH Dog

now on my 2 guard dogs i have collars with big strong spikes not those flimsy fashion ones.and i have them on them for the reason attilla magyar stated,but also for 2 legged predators as well.but for APBT's i think a nice strong nylon collar does a hell of a lot better than those spikes.

18. cheekymunkee

cheekymunkee Top Dog

I agree with that, the studs are not bad at all but the spikes are disgusting IMO. I have had studded collars in the past & I think they look rather nice.

19. Pitbull219

Pitbull219 CH Dog

Whenever I see dogs with spiked collars, I think of these guys:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. DryCreek

DryCreek CH Dog

Personally, I would never use anything other than a quality working collar, no designer types, no fashion statements. Just a strong reliable collar.

But....LOL

I wonder, with BSL and muzzles required, how is our breed to protect itself if it can't fight back during an attack? Would these spiked collars actually help protect them from another dogs attack?