1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Southern style Soul food

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Roller55, Jun 15, 2021.

1. Roller55

Roller55 Big Dog

Does anybody know where in the states u could find good Soul food. Any states in Particular or its where u find it. I want some Fried catfish looks good with all the other side helpings.

2. FrozenEli

FrozenEli Top Dog

Twisted Soul Cookhouse in Atlanta, watch for homeless homo thugs, and a few other varieties of worthlessness though.

ben brockton likes this.
  3. ben brockton

ben brockton CH Dog

The good catfish is from Oklahoma down through Georgia and up to south Carolina and all areas between. Outside of those areas it's hit or miss but if you never had catfish then you wouldn't know the difference. Every major city has a place you can get catfish southern style.

FrozenEli likes this.
  4. Michele

Michele CH Dog Super Moderator

Harlem in New York City.....but please be armed if you decide to go thereB-)

5. Roller55

Roller55 Big Dog

Watching the u tube vids. Hmmmm getting hungry. Like the chicken too. Is it about the same price if u went to like a pondarosa or montanas

6. ben brockton

ben brockton CH Dog

Nashville is where you want to go for the food it's a short ride to Memphis , Atlanta and Arkansas. If you really are serious I can recommend some of the best food you ever will have or check out my post in what's cooking thread normally post where I eat at.

7. bamaman

bamaman GRCH Dog

Local places unheard of is were you will find best soul food imo.Local place where I live does fried chicken with sides and start at 10:30 a.m. and if your not there before 12:30 your SOL.Catfish you need to make sure it's catfish and not white fish and always ask.White fish when cooked looks just like catfish but doesn't taste like it .I've only met one person who can cook white fish and it taste good.Same with bbq alot of unheard of shops with great food out there.

FrozenEli likes this.
  8. GK1

GK1 Big Dog

Check out Netflix documentary High on the Hog. Interesting series about the history of soul food. Re the op, I’ll guess worthy interpretations can be found in every US state.

slim12 and FrozenEli like this.
  9. Roller55

Roller55 Big Dog

Yes pretty serious Ben. Looking for the real deal. Old style. I was in the U.S when i was like 20 and i got lost. It was in Oiho and i was hungry so i just pulled aside and walked into this resturant. The lady was older and asked me where i was from and asked if i ever tried this style of cooking. I said no but i like all kinds of food. Man im like late 40 now and still think of that plate of food everyday.

10. Roller55

Roller55 Big Dog

Bama i steer clear from white fish. Its grown in a tank with 50 percent water and 50 percent chemical. To stop virus from overcrowding of fish. Only thing is its toxic to human body big time. A good friend is a boss at one of those places. And showed me all the info. Only REAL CATFISH for me. Thanks for the heads up. I would have taken for granted it was catfish i was eating

bamaman likes this.
  11. Roller55

Roller55 Big Dog

Amazig vid. Thought it was just homemade recipes. Real deal. Thanks

12. slim12

slim12 Super Moderator Staff Member

Like Bama said the best will always be from some hole in the wall that 'only the locals' know about. Big fan of the High on the Hog docu-series. I like the Anthony Bourdain type shows where they do the local dives.

Se had one called Warner Evans Chicken and Barbecue. Best fried chicken on the planet. You had to step over the winos and drunks on the front stoop and then fight off the flies in the old two story house. Even the big green flies too. Part of the ambiance. LOL I have travelled all over the world and all over the country and I made sure I 'ate' at every stop.

It was funny I had to come back home to the best fried chicken in the world. LOL

They did chitterlings on Thursdays so that was the only day of the week I would not eat there. I can't see the skin of a turd as being something to eat, but that is an entirely different topic, LOL

S

S

bamaman likes this.
  13. Roller55

Roller55 Big Dog

U guys making me hungry. Fried chicken. I still got a month to go before i am head over to the U.S. . What is it with hole in the walls. Same here some of the food in there.

14. Roller55

Roller55 Big Dog

P.S what is Turd and Citterlings

15. slim12

Chitterlings are pig's intestines. Intestines are the skin on shit (turd).

S

16. Roller55

Roller55 Big Dog

17. Roller55

Roller55 Big Dog

I see. Now i know. The one time i did have soul food in Ohio as a rule i check the people eating there and they were some strong looking Afro Americans. Heh heh must be some good shit. The only place i have had unclean food even though the place looked good was chinese. No disrespect to my chinese buds.

18. slim12

My Pops use to look in the back and if it were dirty, not nasty, but looked like they spent so much time prepping and cooking that the cleaning fell to the way side, well, that was a place to eat. LOL

The High on the Hog is one of the better docu series out there. It starts off on food but speaks to social issues. But neither subject went so deep that the other was left out or lost. The 'mix' of cultures and where food fell into those lines is done better than most any I have seen.

In a lot of cases history has been erased and that is bad, but we often repeat history over and over again.

Not sure of the guy's name but if there is an award for this type of work, he should be at the top of the leader board.

S

19. Roller55

Roller55 Big Dog

Thats true Slim. Theres busy cooking and then there is u going to be sick if u eat here. This resturant im talking about. U just go there half hour after they close and it looks good inside. U see big rats not mice all over the tables everywhere. Some one did send the vid into the food inspection and they got closed for awhile. If u have a resturant and have a big window in front evrything has to be perfect

20. FrozenEli

FrozenEli Top Dog

The best is on youtube, search Peaches Fried Chicken!