1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Some of the best guard dog????

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by penngomifan, May 12, 2007.

1. minicopilot

minicopilot Banned

I will agree to disagree with you on some points you've made and I will agree with you on others. We've had Italian imports (Neos) from working lines that were great out of the gate, but if met with resistance they almost all folded.
    I do agree that the size is definitely a deterrant when faced with a huge, ill tempered dog whatever the breed may be! LOL
    Anyway, nice "talking" with you.
    Take care

2. PitBull_30

PitBull_30 Top Dog

You guys aren't getting your Neo's from the right place. ;) Italy, yes, but there are wonderful dogs that are right up there with Corsos if you look.

3. Diesel

Diesel Top Dog

Agreed, good discussion.
    I like to talk about other breeds almost as much as I like to talk about APBTs.... almost.;)

4. Mkabayi

Mkabayi Pup

Not intending to drag you backwards but Rhodesian Ridgeback were primarily bred to hunt lions in Africa. These dogs were used to protect the farmers stock from hunting predators.

Why would you bring such a dog into contact with APBT?

5. nc_pitbullmommy

nc_pitbullmommy Big Dog

A lot of the breeds suggested are good breeds but only with someone that can handle the breed. I would never tell a novice to go out and get a Malnois LOL those dogs are psychotic! lol Rotties can be stubborn and hard to handle and we all know what can happen if a Presa (or similar breed) gets in the wrong hands i.e. the San Fransisco attack.

6. Marduk

Marduk Pup

If a presa gets into wrong hands...as well as any other dog!!!! or even a hammer...

I've had presas for 20 years...as well as rotties... and for me presas are the supreme guardians and defenders!!!
    Rotties defend well...but sometimes they defend when no threat exists...and accept only an alfa...all other members of the familly are at the rank that he is...(there are lots of teories...but mine is based on reallity of keeping them...and of course there are exceptions...).
    Presas can tell friend from foe...and can tell a true agression from playing with a friend...rotts..not always...and they tend to be over-dominant...

To be honest...now I only keep game dogs...I wish no dog to bite intruders when I am not home (if my dog kills a man...I will go into jail...and the dog will be killed...)...so I'd rather have a dog that will defend the family with his own life (like 99% of game dogs will) than a pure guardian...

Long life to true Game Dogs!!!