1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Some of the best guard dog????

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by penngomifan, May 12, 2007.

1. Surprized with the responces in this thread, German Shepherd Dog, Beligan Malinois or Boxer(if your love for bull breeds is so strong). I don't want a big lazy, unhealthy mastiff with no prey drive trying to guard my yard esp if it's a large area.

Oh and no dog is born with guarding ability they all need to be trained just like everything else dogs do.

2. chloesredboy

chloesredboy CH Dog

Im rathar parial to them also.He is beautifull,was he a stud dog?

Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2007
  3. MIKA

MIKA Big Dog

I agree 100%. Great post.

4. Mr Mark

Mr Mark Guest

I would also recommend a good Rottweiler. I have used them and worked with them and the majority are naturally protective as well. They are also just a major deterent. If someone was to look across a field and see a Rottie staring them down, they will quickly make an about face!

If you want something more rare, than try the South African Boerboel. I have read about them and I have a friend from South Africa and he has seen them kill leopards. They may be harder to obtain however.

And for the CH Bulldog that got killed by the Rodhesian, wow, he must not of had any real comp because no way in hell should a bulldog lose to a Rodhesian! Maybe a cur or something, but no way a CH. What would be the purpose of using bulldogs than? No disrespect intended btw.

5. Pitbull219

Pitbull219 CH Dog

If you can find someone who breeds good working Bull Mastiffs, I'd say get one of those. They were bred to guard estates. I would also suggest Dobermans. I may be a bit biased here as these are 2 of my favorite breeds besides APBT's, but I think both could do exactly what you need them to do when bred right.

6. Phebes

Phebes Guest

I had Dobermans for over 20 years and they are fantastic guard dogs.
    But then I have also had Boxers and Apbts who were equally able to do the job.
    People buy a certain breed chain it out back and think it will protect you. Want a really good dog to protect you and your home. Make the Dobie, GSD, Boxer or whatever a member of the family. Love makes the best guard dog. What you do when the pup is growing up also helps. Sil my year old APBT is an awesome watch dog. She doesn't run if someone approaches when she is barking she goes forward. By the time she is 5 she will be a force to be reckoned with.
    I have done this with every dog I ever owned. Pup barks at something outside, I go to the window look out and pat the pup saying good dog. Now the pup might just be barking at a bird but it doesn't matter. All that matters is the pup barked, you went and looked and told him he was a good dog. After a while the pup knows you want to know what is coming near the house. You re-enforce the pups behavior, encouraging the pup when he barks. Once they bark at everything you start to eliminate things. Pup barks at a bird you look but say nothing, pup barks at a man walking down the road you pat the pup saying very proudly Good Dog!! You start to distinguish between friend and stranger by how you react when the pup barks. Friend= it's ok that's just my brother. Stranger= good boy, you get em. You also can bark as well, dogs are real monkey see monkey do kind of animals. You just keep refining what you expect from the dog in regards to you and your property.
    By the time they are 3 the dog knows all strangers over the age of about 18 are suspect and should not be allowed in unless you tell them it is ok.
    This does not make your dogs a threat to your kids or friends. My kids and grandkids all could safely play with and be around my dogs.

In Virginia your dog has the right to attack anything trespassing.
    My dogs through the years have used their rights in this area and grabbed a few people. Little 47 lb female boxer I had nailed 4 people in the 10 years I owned her. That is her below, died of cancer, a truely great little dog who never backed down from anything.
    [​IMG]

7. Suki

Suki Guest

South African Boerboel: no doubt, VERY interesting dogs! :)

and no, none of my males were studded.
    TY for your compliment! :D BEST male I ever had!

8. I have a Zebo/Bullyson bitch that is really agressive, scares a lot...

Let me see... Guard?

Brazilian Fila, I don't know... the blood of this dog isn't the same of some years ago... they're becoming "show dogs" here in Brazil... I think that you can find what you want by buying a Rottweiler from Deustchland (Germany) or from some breeders from Brazil... another choices are some good Dobermanns or Mastin Napoletano.
    Thanks.

9. dunlap

dunlap Big Dog

http://esquirecaucasians.com/welcome.htm

10. Pitbull219

Pitbull219 CH Dog

11. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

Are you looking for a guard dog or a protection dog? There is actually a pretty big difference. Many breeds will gaurd a home/yard & will bark & act like a maniac when a stranger approaches. However, much fewer dogs will actually engage & protect & even fewer will continue to do so if the intruder fights back.

12. Diesel

Diesel Top Dog

Yeah, first step is to define the job you want done.

protection- a dog that will protect you and the family

or

guard- a dog that will protect your stuff

a guard dog can be a protection dog, but a protection dog might be a horrid guard dog.

as far as a breed that is exceptional naturally... the Fila Brasilero. Be warned they are bred with a certain trait call "ojeriza" which translates to a hatred of strangers. if you live in the city DO NOT get a fila. they are far to large, aggressive, and powerful.
    other good candidates, Cane Corsos, CAO, CO, Neapolitan mastiffs, South African Boerboels, if you have the CONSIDERABLE time to spend finding the proper temperments both Rotties and Dobies are good at the job but they are so worn down from BYBing and show programs... they are hard to find good hard temperements in these days.

13. maryellen1

maryellen1 Guest

whatever you get make sure you get it from overseas. the american versions of these dogs are crap..
    and you must train the dog as well, you wont get a fully trained dog unless you want to pay big bucks.. like over $5000 for a fully trained dog depending on the breed, and the price could go higher..

you will have to do your part too for socialization and training as well..

14. maryellen1

maryellen1 Guest

15. jeeperino

jeeperino CH Dog

Just keep in mind there are 2 seperate breeds when dealing with Presa Canarios.

One is the true Perro De Presa Canario and the other is the Dogo Canario.

The Presa Canario is bred true to its Spanish roots as a working dog. The Dogo Canario is an American bred dog bred primarily for looks/show.
    I own 2 Presa Canarios myself and IMO I dont think u (people in general) are ready for that type of dog without prior experience. You have to understand that a Presa has the potential to KILL a grown man/woman easily and with that power comes a GREAT responsibility for the owner of the dog.

16. Diesel

Diesel Top Dog

I agree though if your getting a dog from the states it is more then likely a dogo canario no matter what they tell you. To get a true presa you will be spending several thousand dollars and shipping internationally.

17. coolhandjean

coolhandjean CH Dog

yeah, my boyfriend's Dad owned and breed Doberman's and not only were they great guard dogs, but they were fine with the grandkids, and they are super intelligent...

Also, if you want a dog to guard your children, then a boxer is a great choice. Boxers are amazing when it comes to protecting children. My Uncle's Father used to raise and breed boxers. They had two in the house one day, and the neighbor's little daughter was playing outside. Someone stopped and talked to her, trying to get her to go with him, and the two Boxers broke through the screen door, and one took the guy down, and the other stood guard near the little girl. Even once the neighbors started to come out, the Boxer standing guard wasn't taking any chances of letting anyone near the little girl. My Uncle came out, and then the dog knew it was okay...

18. tjpitbull

tjpitbull Big Dog

I think its the bloodline my oppioinon anyways.

I had to lines one was good gaurd dog other let anyone pet him regaurdles if they snuck up from the back or just walked in stright from the front of my house.

What i did i got my cuz to were a traiing suite and jump my back fence i had one dog loose the other kenneld up first dog barked loud and got crazy but when confrontaqted just backed off. on the other hand the other one just ripped him a new one one bark and just leashe don him.

19. BamaBoy

BamaBoy Big Dog

I'd have to go with an American Bulldog or a Rott, from my personal experience.

20. CynthiaATL

CynthiaATL Guest

I agree it is a great responsibilty. A man I know here in GA (through a clinic I used to work at) has a yard and his dog do not play. I have never been scared of a dog until I met 1 of his bitches. I came over there an vaccinated a litter for him and that dog scared the shit out of me. When they are on their job they are nothing to mess with!