1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Solid Gold

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by miakoda, May 30, 2007.

1. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

So I went ahead & pulled all my dogs off of Natural Balance due to the recall of one variety of their foods. In doing so, I put all the dogs back on Canidae since they have their own manufacturing plant & whatnot. However, pretty much all the dogs are looking bad. They have dull coats, tons of dandruff, look as if they are losing muscle tone, & poop constantly.

So I went browsing my old pet supply store & I picked up a few bags of Solid Gold Wolf King & Wolf Cub (for Savage). I know it's the large breed food, but I like the bison & salmon vs. chicken. Anyways, I was just curious as to if anyone here fed there dogs this brand & if so, how did the dogs do or how are they currently doing.

All comments welcome.

Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2007
  2. dogged

dogged Big Dog

I tried some of their foods a long time ago and my dogs didn't do all that well, but I know dogs who do well on it. Seems to be split down the middle. Some dogs do great, some don't.

I hope Savage likes it!

3. Suki

Suki Guest

Yeah, Mia, it's kinda like that saying, "what's good for one may not be good for another". at our boarding facility, MANY dogs come in with that feed and do/look great, but then, you talk with some owners who've had little sucess with that brand and have nothing good to say about it. so, i would say, try it out and just see how they do with it. honestly tho, i hear more pros then cons, point many many different breeds do well on this food.

either way, good luck!

Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2007
  4. mikelia

mikelia Big Dog

I have fed the Hundenflocken to my dogs before and the katzenflocken to my cats as well as the mmmillenia (I think that is what it is called) to my old gsd bitch when she couldn't handle as much protein. They did ok on it, nothing spectacular but nothing bad. I've had better luck with the Solid Gold than Canidae. I have seen a lot of dogs do well on it, one dog in particular that could only handle game protein sources, so he did really well on the bison &salmon formula. Gorgeous coat and healthy old boy.
    Do you have access to Innova products? I am a big fan of the EVO but their regular adult formula (with grains) I have had the most success with over a large number of dogs. I used to work for a store that sold wellness, fromm, canidae, solid gold, chicken soup, cal. natural and innova, and I had the most success with the Innova line with customers pets.
    The Fromm 4* formulas are half decent, as is the wellness formulas.
    Good luck Mia :)

5. bahamutt99

bahamutt99 CH Dog

Loki did okay on Hundenflocken, but nothing remarkable.

6. cheekymunkee

cheekymunkee Top Dog

I fed mine several varieties of Solid Gold, the Hundenflocken, the Mmillenia & Barking at the Moon & liked them all well enough. Justice can eat dirt all day & look good so Munkee is my barometor. He did well but he always develops problems eventually. I think it really depends on the individual dog whether they do well on a food or not. I have friends that have fed Evo with terrible results & friends who feed Purina with great results. :confused:

7. The Watcher

The Watcher Till The Wheels Fall Off.

50 was here.....
    not sure what to say. I have these probs-
    it takes alot of $$$ and alot of TLC to make multiple dogs happy.

8. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

LOL. I hear ya.

I understand that different dogs do well on different things. But I'm trying my darndest to at least find a brand of food that they will all do well on even if I have to buy different varieties.

As it is, I'm looking into Timberwolf now that I've taken on a part time job, but it is still going to probably bankrupt me. :p

9. Hoyden

Hoyden Top Dog

I have to say that I LOVE Timberwolf. I've sold my vet on it and their office raves about it. The feed store in town gives me a discount because I've sent so many people to them, she says she as quadrupled her TW order.

Mark used to balk at the price, but in 9 years, Petey has never looked so healthy. His fur is soft & shiney, his skin is clear, no more bully bumps or tumors, the eye buggers went away and the stains around his white eye went with the buggers.

ALL the dogs in the Five Dog Night post I put up here earlier this week are fed Timberwolf.

I am really happy with it and my dogs love it.

10. The Watcher

let me know. all on one would be best, for all of us.....

11. Danno

Danno Pup

I'm hoping I see similar results. I'm in the process of switching from Nature's Variety.

12. CrazyK9

CrazyK9 Top Dog

Were they all on the Venison and Brown Rice formula before?

The closest thing to it I've found is Timberwolf's Black Forrest formula. The first 2 ingredients, as well as the fat and protein levels, are the same. The main difference is that Timberwolf's has lamb and salmon in it, but both are considered alternative meat sources and are typically used in allergy/sensitive stomach formulas, so I don't think it would be too much of a problem.

If you think about it though, Timberwolf will probably end up costing you the same. It's more nutrient-dense so your dogs will probably eat a bit less. Whatever you decide on, good luck. Hope the dogs start getting better. I don't know anyone who feeds Solid Gold so I can't help with that.

13. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

I looked at their site & there are no Timberwolf dealers within a 250 mile radius. Lovely, huh?

So I read some more & I decided to contact them about either a) getting into their breeder program or b) becoming a dealer. Since I ordered Natural Balance in 800-1,000 lb increments, I meet the requirements for Timberwolf as they only require a minimum purchase of 510 lbs.

Fifty, if it goes through & I decide to do it, hit me up as we might work out something together. ;)

14. we feed the timberwolf to the dogs and its a great food!!!if there is no dealer . you can become one or you can have them ship it to you. i think they have free shipping.

15. 440rider

440rider Guest

we have tried many different feeds with ours from canidae, hills, solid gold and now feed timberwolf with all around great results with our dogs. Sure its pricey but the dogs do great on it IMO. We have a dealer close by and we get a good discount on it...as far as you not having a dealer near you......

TIMBERWOLF WILL SHIP YOUR FEED FREE when ordering directly from them and if you order $100 or more you get 10% off can't beat that! Great customer support and will answer any ?'s you may have. Take care

16. The Watcher

im down. let me know.

maybe we could also persuade them to make a sporting formula, if they dont already.

17. dogged

dogged Big Dog

They make one forumla called Wild and Natural; it's high in fat, protein and grain free. Really good stuff and for very active dogs :cool:

Hope you can get something worked out with them, Mia.

Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2007
  18. maryellen1

maryellen1 Guest

here is a site that delivers timberwolf and at better prices too

http://alpha-nutrition.stores.yahoo.net/

i have had my 3 on timberwolf , canidae, evo, california natural, and raw.

they did great on Timberwolf, but pooped alot more for some reason. even on the different flavors.

they did the best on canidae all life stages.

they also were on the solid gold wolf king a few years ago too, and did really good on that as well.

19. Bullyson

Bullyson CH Dog

We use Neutro Brands. We've stuck with that or diamond for the last year and every dog is fine..

20. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

Tried it, will never feed it again.