1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Solid Gold Barking at the Moon

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by 14rock, Sep 9, 2006.

1. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

I'm considering rotating this food in the schedule, to see how it compares to Timberwolf. I dont expect it will be quite as good, but I wont know until I try it, the ingredients are great, but I'm not sure of the level of meat. If nothing else, it will be a good alternative for the yard dogs, at around 45 bucks for a 33 lb. bag of kibble, now available within 45 minutes from me (petco is supposed to be stocking it), its much more conveinent.

Has anyone fed this kibble, and how did you like it? What other high-quality foods have you also fed, and how did it compare to them, specifically Timberwolf.

I've finally had my first bad experience with ordering food online (out of stock of all 33 lb. bags, had to buy multiple 15 lbers., not a huge deal, but enough to make me think about potential problems and form a back-up plan). I see their shipping is now 7 day, instead of 2-3 day. My order still arrived in 3 days, but I am a little more cautious now. If Solid Gold is similar, for less, and more readily-available, I will try it out on the yard dogs for a few months.

For all those who say quality feeds just arent available in your area, if you have a petco, you can now get one of the best....if you can stand shopping there. DONT bring the dogs. Lol

2. cheekymunkee

cheekymunkee Top Dog

I haven't used that particular formula but I have used several of the Solid Gold kibbles in the past. I had very good results with Mmillinnia & Wolf King with my allergy dog.

From what I understand there isn't much that will compare to T'wolf though as far as kibble goes. Barking at the Moon looks GREAT though. Can't hurt to give it a try.

3. Attila

Attila Guest

Rock,

Could you explain outside of cost why you would concider this idea? I am miffed about what your goal is.

4. FLpits

FLpits Big Dog

barking at the moon is way better than wolf, i've been useing it since it came out and i love it. the best part is the high protein and low carb's so they gain alot of lean muscle, plus it has omega3 so there coats are great. it's really good for high energy dogs

5. mikelia

mikelia Big Dog

I have fed solid gold, it is a good food but I don't find the dogs do as well on it as some other brands. I did use it for a long time with my senior gsd bitch until she passed, she had kidney problems so I used the solid gold lower protein formula for her whenever she didn't get her barf meal. It is quite a bland food, the hunden flocken is good for dogs who stomaches upset easy. If I were to put my dogs on it, I would probably use the wolf king formula. As for other foods, my favourite is the Innova lines, especially the evo. I also like Fromm 4star formulas (duck, chicken and whitefish), chicken soup for dog lovers, wellness. I tried canidae and didn't like how my dogs coats or stools were when I was feeding it.
    After fighting and feeding just about every holistic brand I have gotten my hands on over the last few years, I now feed raw and have innova evo on hand for trips or for days when everything is not thawed yet or whatever. This seems to work best for me with an extremely high energy dog.
    I have never used timberwolf, so I can't compare anything to that.

6. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

Conveinance basically. Let me explain to you my situation. Odin is the only dog fed Timberwolf (lol). Since a partner of mine is hanging onto my new bitch until I can get a suitable place to own her, I'm going to buy dogfood for my dog, and also his dogs. He's only feeding 5 right now, so it wont be too much of a problem. He is feeding some $15/50 lb. bag stuff now, I would like to see his dogs fed a little better and show him the benefits of a high-quality kibble. I dont feel like dealing with ordering online when I dont know how long a bag will last, how long before it comes in, etc. If I am late on a shipment of Timberwolf I can run to the butcher and get some meat. That wont happen if we run out on his yard. He would just run to the store and buy the cheap stuff again. If its something available locally, when he's running low, I can make a quick drive and pick up a few bags. A lot less to worry about, just pick up the food when I need it. Besides, its decently priced and although I dont think it is on par with Timberwolf, its a great feed, and will be more than sufficient for maintenance of yard dogs. Looking to add a few more to the rotation soon, so the number of dogs I'm feeding may jump quite a bit, which is when the price diffrence, and ease of getting the food every week will really make a diffrence.

How do you figure Barking at the moon is "way better" than Timberwolf? Timberwolf gurantees a minimum of 48% meat in even its lowest meat formula. I dont imagine Solid Gold, or any other feed, comes close to that number, besides a BARF diet. Have you fed Timberwolf personally, and for how long?

Thanks for the input so far.

7. MR BIGGS

MR BIGGS Breed Advocate

Actually the local Petco here stocks Dick Van Pattens, which is in the top 5 of best kibbles.

8. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

Its a decent food, but I wouldnt say its a top-5.

9. 440rider

440rider Guest

how do ya'll compare Solid gold Hund-n-Flocken Adult Dog (lamb) to canidae all life? Also how do ya'll feel a high protein diet fares in the long run on dogs? Could be in a higher risk factore for renal faliure on such a high protein feed without the work to accomodate it. We have an older dog we put on canidae platinum due to elevated protein levels... he is at normal now level and doing well on it. Also when do you all bump your pups to an adult feed.... we feed ours canidae all life so no need for additional pup feed but we are considering a switch to solid gold and are interested in opinions on what is best for pups under a yr as far as solid gold goes also as well as adult feed. Tks

10. thecableguy

thecableguy Big Dog

Has anyone else tried this kibble?

11. thecableguy

thecableguy Big Dog

?????????????????