1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Smaller dogs more game?

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by ducho13, Dec 29, 2004.

1. ducho13

ducho13 Big Dog

from what i have read and researched it seems most dogmen prefer the smaller dogs because it is said they are more game. Has anyone tested the bigger dogs say 80lbs+ over a period of time to see if they are also game?
    Is it because the smaller dogs were easier to handle that they were preferred, tested and culled?

2. DEACON ROM

DEACON ROM Top Dog

i think this thread should be moved to tex and alligator

3. houstonapbt

houstonapbt Top Dog

Back in the day these dogs usually didn't go over 70 lbs. The "BIGGER" dogs are more of a fad of today...they're being bred for their size and not game.

4. Vador

Vador Big Dog

In many ways it all goes back to original type...Many believe the larger dogs attained such weight because other breeds were used to get them that way ie presas or cane corso etc. Make them A. Not true to original type B. less game due to the very fact that no other dog is truly as game THROUGHOUT the breed and consistently like the APBT. The smaller dogs again seem to have the purest blood, throw backs to what was originally produced for the express purpose of being game. Also the temperament of these larger possibly mix breed dogs, could be in some cases considered unstable. The APBT was bred and culled fo a stable temperament. C. The dogs speed and agility and or quickness seems more apparent in all logic in the smaller dogs. OF course there may be some exceptions...but these are few and far.

5. DEACON ROM

DEACON ROM Top Dog

if this were true would you say that hollingsworth dogs and the mayday line would be the far and few ? as not being pure? just woundering how your opininon stands up to these lines?

6. SLICK WILLIE

SLICK WILLIE Guest

Smaller dogs are not more game than big dogs and big dogs are not more game than little ones. Its pound for pound like two men boxing and who is in better shape. Smaller lightweight boxers can go the full 12 rounds easy but most heavyweight fighters are spent in the first half of the fight unless they have trained to go the full 12 rounds which most look for the knockout early and that is how big dogs are. Large dogs go hard and do alot of damage quick but if the other dog plays dead for the first part of the match then look out cause then you have a tired large dog and one that is just getting ready to do some damage. The point is dont expect large dogs to do as little ones it just ant going to happen unless trained for it. Wind is a big factor with the "Pit Bull". The dog could be game as all outdoors but have lungs the size of a pea and the body cant function without proper air supply. When you see a dog gasping for air in a hold he is buying time to get his air back and then they try to get the upper hand next chance he gets. The question is a good one and has left men puzzled from the beginning of the sport but let me ask you this! How game are you when someone takes your air away? Or if someone is tracking you down and you have to run and run and that is the only way out is to run but you lose your ability to think right because lack of 0xigen then you fall out and your done. Gameness or Air what is it really? Sorry I went on and on but I like to get answers just like the other guy.

DEACON ROM likes this.
  7. pit stop

pit stop Pup

Colby's Pinscher 24Xw 72lbs chain weight, 56 lbs conditioned. " do you suppose he was game?" ...oh yeah, pinscher was birthed in 1896 so I guess that maybe larger pit bulls might not be strictly a "new fad" huh?

George Abinet had several dogs in the 90-100lb class. One was the fabulous Bismarck upon which the Bismarck bloodline was founded. Bismarck was campaigned in 11 countries and retired undefeated!

8. Vador

Vador Big Dog

I said nothing definite there was always room for exceptions as stated

9. AC

AC Big Dog

Size isn't anything more or less than just that.. "size" There are excellent smaller dogs as there is excellent larger dogs. I personally have never seen a game bred dog go over 70 lbs but that's just my experience. There just might be some out there. Just remember it's not the size of the dog in the fight it's the size of the fight in the dog. ;)

10. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

right on alligator! (although I prefer mine smaller as I have found that they are more agile)

11. rocksteady

rocksteady I'll drink to that..

The dog in my avatar is a game bred, proven.. 75lb + on the chain ..
    9so now you've seen one alligator LOL!!) And there is one person on here that has seen my dog in person so they can testify. He's 100% APBT..no Am staff or non working lines in him..

A few dogs in his line have reach weight os 90 + lbs and been found game.. allthough personally I wont want to be the one holding a 90lb game dog back from anything..if it was all possible!! (I can send pictures..) no, these dogs werent bred to be big..it happened as the line got tighter ..

like it was said, big dogs can be and are game They do have stamina and enduracne but its all at "big dog speed" They generally go slower and a smaller dog can run circles around them (in my experience..since I have both types of dog)

big dogs just have so much more weight to carry.

Smaller dogs are prefer for ease of keeping (big dogs feed bills are more, vet bills are more, you cant pick them up and run lol.. and try lifting one up into the tub lol)

12. AC

AC Big Dog

LoL well he doesn't look that big in the pic but I most definetly will take your word for it. I'm not too fond of catchweight dogs but I do have a couple and I fear when the day comes for me to handle those big suckers in the woods LoL

13. Classic

Classic Big Dog

"from what i have read and researched it seems most dogmen prefer the smaller dogs because it is said they are more game. "

Has anyone tested the bigger dogs say 80lbs+ over a period of time to see if they are also game?

I don't know of anyone who would want to as a dog of this size would "generally" be more difficult to handle.

Is it because the smaller dogs were easier to handle that they were preferred, tested and culled?
    I believe this is the case, also as I believe Miakoda stated the smaller dogs are "generally" more agile.

Houston was also correct when he stated that most of the bigger dogs are bred for size and/or color.

Everyone has there preference in these dogs whether it is breeding for gameness like their ancestry dictates or for size and color.

P.S. I personally think the Hollingsworth bred dogs (e.g.Mayday bred dogs)
    had pretty good % for being on the larger end of the spectrum.
    <!-- / message -->

14. Classic

Classic Big Dog

Wow ! Rock...he doesn't loook that BIG, but I will take your word for it.

I feel you on bathing a dog that big ! Damn ! I have one thats about 56# cw, and he is hard for me to bathe !

15. DEACON ROM

DEACON ROM Top Dog

forget the tub take his ass to the car wash!! lol

16. Classic

Classic Big Dog

LOL...that is a great idea, but also funny as hell...have to go in the middle of the night so some crazy tree hugger dosn't call the cops on me for no good reason...LOL that shit is funny !

17. Jenn

Jenn Top Dog

Ya'll laugh but we have a Car wash that has a Dog wash attached. It's really actually neat but outside and you could only use it in the summer. Comes equipped with a dryer and soap - the whole nine yards. I've never personally used it and actually never seen it used but walked over and checked it out the other day while he was washing his truck. Seemed pretty nifty - but I don't know... seems like it would be not safe due to illness.
    <!-- / message -->

18. GT99

GT99 Pup

Endurance is always a bonus in any type of fight or sport. Being a fighter myself I understand how important it is. Alot of other pros I train with that are smaller than me also have better wind than me. Once you are winded you need to rely on smarts and experience to hold on and get back in the game. More Muscle needs more oxygen, its great for the imediate short blast, size and power can end a match early but if the person across the cage can withstand it and fire back you might be in trouble.

I also think large dogs can be game, I do not hink it is as common though as the talent pool is smaller. If there is 100 small dogs to choose from and only 20 large dogs, odds are you will find more game dogs in the larger group. Most large dogs are bred for size as stated before, there are large dogs that happen to be game but they are not as common.

19. Vador

Vador Big Dog

Exactly, again I was going for a more general approach and wasnt saying big dogs cant be game. They are just fewer to find. It all narrows to preference as well and some like the big dogs. But its found that the percentage of dog men and women on the site prefer smaller dogs

20. i find it is in the dogs heart on how gooed he will be.