1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Slat mill training problem

Discussion in 'Training & Behavior' started by Gamble, Sep 1, 2011.

1. TopBox

TopBox Top Dog

Hows he doing?

2. slim12

slim12 Super Moderator Staff Member

put another good running dog o the mill and let him watch....and just keep putting him up there....do not force it and be patient...he may come around....and then again he may not....but patience and effort are your two best friends in situatios like these...US1

3. Gamble

Gamble Pup

He's walking really slow and if I incline the mill too much he'll just rather hang then run ive been taking him out to chase the dirt bike instead he loves that. Ill just save the mill for the next one in acouple years. I really like this dog he's bad ass rbjbt x boyles he just hates the mill for some reason

4. Gamble

Gamble Pup

slim I wish I had kept contact with my old buddies but I lost touch no other dogs around me for now.

5. ccourtcleve

ccourtcleve Big Dog

I had one I was working. He froze up and wouldn't run. I could put another male directly In his face and he would just stare.

I noticed he hated the neighborhood cats and my cats. So I got my cat and held her and stood in front of him and he took off running. Even ran the carpet!!

Just find something he loves or hates. He will run

6. LivewireT

LivewireT Big Dog

7. Gamble

Gamble Pup

Just to update i gave up on the dog and sold the mill.. He was also doing other questionable things I just didn't like to see even in a house pet.. I tried and since I've had him since he was a pup I almost let that blind me to the fact he just wasn't what I wanted in a dog. I've had better dogs with unknown breeding that had more drive and confidence maybe I could have kept trying but after all I tried with him he just wasn't it. Ima try something else alil later.

8. TripleJ

TripleJ CH Dog

Well only you can make your mind up to do that , I didnt see a reason put my two cents in. Next time if you get another one start letting the pup play on it I cant stand it when some one wants me to work a dog and they wont run a mill. If you could get another dog so he can stand on ground wher he is looking straight at the dog , then with a friends help have him take the mill dog off wid loop circle where they are looking toward each other you want him all into the dog then place him on it hang on to him 9Nows not the time to try and hook him up just hold him lrt him run with you next to him holding his collar. walk the ground do close if need , That has NEVER faild me it may take a time or two but he will come around. And to be honest most of the time it only take one or two times then the mirror will help , Unless he is like scooby he knows what he looks like lol

9. raman781

raman781 Pup

Gamble,
    How old is your dog? You need to give 100 percent of yourself before you can expect your dog to do what you want him to do. I was able to get my 7 year old Chihuahua on the mill and he runs for half an hour straight. My dogs work for me because they know that it pleases me and they also trust me. They also want to outdo the other dogs to show off that they are better. Little competition always help motivate your dog. My mill exploded with my lil black dog running full speed on it. It did phase her a bit, scared the sh@! Out of my though.
    My advice would be to build your dog up and spend as much time as you can with him, praising him and working with him on stuff the he enjoys doing with you.
    Only you know how your dog is, hate to see you give up on your dog that you raised from a pup.

10. TripleJ

TripleJ CH Dog

Thats funny the mill blew up lol. You need to get one that has adjusters on it so you can make it harder for dogs like that ,(Oh wait I think Im the only one that builds those Oh Well) I can see it now hes hauling the mail and the bealt blows apart that was a friggin Shock from hell LOL I forgot to clip the nails off a prospect one time put him on a slat mill that lil SOB burned and turned that bitch and slung his nails off I aint never seen no shit like that LOL

11. raman781

raman781 Pup

Triple J
    I have adjusters to slide the main wheels forward to tighten it up but, I was only using about 10 percent so, the belt was loose and free spinning. Didn't think that was going to happen.
    My girl always runs at full speed. Everything with her is all out, she can't pace her self or just doesn't want to pace her self. I picked up some pvc belting around new years and have been using it ever since the explosion. I have some really high quality belting with clipper lace that I am going to install on my mill. I also made new slats out of slightly thicker material just haven't had time to work on it.
    One other thing that is happening with my mill is that my dog has broken three wheel axles so far, the third one broke about an hour ago. I am going to pull the standard 1/4" bolts off and replace them with grade 8 1/4" bolts. I can't believe my 29 lb. dog has worked this mill so hard. Maybe, I will add shocks to the wheel bed. I don't know if these issues are rare but, I never hear anyone having issues with there mill. Maybe because mine is home made.

12. TripleJ

TripleJ CH Dog

No I have herd of it I just havent seen it yet I hope I dont to be honest , Man I bet that shocked the shit out of you, OK every one is into the shocks , first off unless its all floating it dont matter, the Cheapest way to solve hard bounce with your desighn is to add 10 " air wheels all 4 sides , it takes SO much you would not belive it just let the air low in them, they are the best and cheapest way to give a slat mill Shocks lol, and I use PVC belt and have never had a belt break it is the strongest shit I have seen.