1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

skin problem

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by waynethrush, Nov 30, 2004.

1. wwonka812

wwonka812 Pup

looks like a allergy to me also,good luck i have the same problem,have changed his diet with no results,changed cleaning supplies in house,no change,i've brought him to vet,he has told me to move out of florida and to alaska that would help,he said the allergies are bad in fl.,ive tried many many things,there are a few that help,one is as like some one already said,wash with head and sholders,the other is a spray made of a mix of one part water-one part baby oil-and one part listerine....exmp(4 oz water 4oz baby oil 4oz of listerine)spray the dog about twice a day. water and oil are moisterizers and listerine is a anticeptic,there are many things you can try...

2. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

i suggest getting to a vet & having them do a skin scrape. it's not expensive. you want to rule out mange (there are 2 diff types) & even ringworm. with a flea allergy you will mostly see hair loss above the tail, tail, & back legs. now that's not to say that it isn't fleas. the reason why i suggest a scrape is b/c if it's sarcoptic mange (aka scabies) or ringworm (not so sure it is) it is contagious to you!! scabies is easy to clear up with a lyme sulphyr dip once a week for 3 weeks or with ivomec injections same routine (but find correct dosages). if it's demodex , it can be cleared up but not cured, as she got it from one or both of her parents. yes it is 100% hereditery! with demodex you can use tactic/mitaban dips once a week for 6 weeks (is optimal). if she's red mange +, have her fixed. if you breed all the pups will have it, & the stress of going in & out of heat or being pregnant can cause her to relapse & lose the hair again. however, demodex is not contagious to you or other animals. hope this helps. if you have any more questions just ask. :)

3. Jenn

Jenn Top Dog

4. thanks everyone, ill get her scraped. does anyone have a general price for skin scraping?

5. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

where i work it's $10 bucks. however, being a certified vet. tech. and a studious breeder, i myself have done much research into the demodex situation. here at LSU, there is a great research program going on about. i will be glad to post the medical info. yes, demodex mites live on every dog out. dogs that "break out" are dogs that indeed have a lowered immune system that allow the mites to "get out of control". they are found in much higher normals than dogs w/out the condition. but it's not old info we base our dignosis on, but new & continuing research. & this research shows that his conditioned (of a lowered immune system that allows the mites to affect the dog in this way) is definitely hereditary, meaing that it is genetic. the prob is with breeders is that they don't want to admit this fact b/c pups from the dog(s) will no longer allowed to be registered wich in turn lowers selling price if not shutting down the breeding op of that dog completely. if you want, you can contact LSU Vet School & they have lots of great info on it.

6. hydrabull

hydrabull Pup

HOLY SMOKES !!

I cannot beleive you are even concerned about how much the vet will charge you, get your but to a good vet, this drives me crazy, it looks like a case of GENERALIZED demodex, you need to get this treated before it gets any worse.

I feel sorry for your dog, you really should take him/her to see a good vet right away !

7. my vets told me that all bullybreeds have bad allergies angus had somthing like that not as bad though
    you just need to keep him at the vet ! does he or she have build up in the ears?