1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

skin and coat vitiams and puppy vitiams????????

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by d-phi931, Jun 27, 2006.

1. d-phi931

d-phi931 Pup

can someone recommend some skin and coat vitiams and puppy vitiams???? please respond please?

2. Jasper

Jasper Pup

I use Nutricoat it's a liquid I put in the food. A while back I noticed that my boy's coat was looking dull so I started using it and it's looks nice and shiney again. I also puts eggs in his food for extra protein and sometimes with the shell. I also brush his coat too but since he has a skin allergee I don't do it often. Hope I helped alittle.

3. asaj

asaj Big Dog

Vitamins is not a quick fix. Its better to upgrade their food.

Do they have a healt problem?

I feed my dogs raw meat, bones, fish, vegetables, herbs, kelp etc. and the only vitamin I give them is vitamin C.

Vitamin A is a fat-soluble vitamin, that means that what they dont use will be stored in the body, and to much can be toxic.

Vitamin A is easiest found in carrots, fish and fish oils.

B-Complex is made up of thiamine, niacin, riboflavin, biotin, folic acid and pantothenic acid.

B-Complex is among the most fragile and heat sensitive vitamins.

Easiest found in liver, organ meat, fish, poultry and dairy products.

Vitamin C, many veterinarians belived that all dogs produced vitamin C in their bodys. Later research have reviled that adding vitamin C to your dogs diet have dramatic results and prevents a variety of health problems.

Vitamin D, if your dog spend 30 min. in the sun every day, he will get enoght.

Vitamin D is fat-soluble , so to much can be toxic.

Vitamin E is easiest found in organ meat, spinach, eggs and seafood.

Vitamin K is found in liver, dairy products and dark green vegetables.
    So acctualy it depends on your dogs diet what vitamins you should give.
    I only give my dogs 500 mg of vitamin C, 4 times per week.
    What I also think is very important is to get vitamins that are made from natural sourses, as chemilcaly made vitamins are only a mirror image of its natrual vitamins, and a living organism can tell the different.
    I wish I had a simple solution for you, but I cant recomend something I dont belive in.

4. laurajean

laurajean Top Dog

Do a search on the forums on dog food and read Suki's post on grading your dog's food.
    It's an excellent source of information.
    I tried to cut and paste it here but it is beyond my computer skills...darn!

5. Suki

Suki Guest

6. CB

CB CH Dog

Stop using vitamins and all that stupid stuff. Put your dog/puppy on a high grade kibble and it shouldnt need no more. Thats all you need stop buying cheap dog food and feed your dog better stuff.

7. Hoyden

Hoyden Top Dog

High quality kibble is best. I feed Timberwolf.

There are a bunch of threads about dogfood here, go have a look.

8. NCPatchwork

NCPatchwork CH Dog

What do you feed Suki/CB?

9. Suki

Suki Guest

[size=-1]What nutrients does dog food have? [/size][size=-1]There are seven large families of essential nutrients.[/size]
    [size=-1]Which are they? [/size][size=-1]Energetic nutrients:[/size]
    • [size=-1]Proteins[/size]
    • [size=-1]Carbohydrates[/size]
    • [size=-1]Fats[/size]
    [size=-1]Non-energetic nutrients[/size]
    • [size=-1]Vitamins[/size]
    • [size=-1]Minerals[/size]
    • [size=-1]Water[/size]
    [size=-1]How do they act?[/size]
    • [size=-1]They are structural components of the body.[/size]
    • [size=-1]They modulate the chemical reactions that take place in the organism, also known as the metabolism.[/size]
    • [size=-1]They transport substances, out or through the organism.[/size]
    • [size=-1]Regulate the body temperature.[/size]
    • [size=-1]Provide energy.[/size]
    • [size=-1]They influence over the taste and the voluntary consumption of the food.[/size]
    [size=-1]The Energetic Nutrients[/size]
    [size=-1]Proteins: [/size][size=-1]They are composed of 23 essential amino acids, some of these can be synthesized by the dog's body directly, but other can't. The proteins that come from animals are richer in amino acids than those of vegetable origin, which is why the combination of both will improve the biological value of the food. Nevertheless, it is the quality and not the quantity of the amino acids that determines or contributes to the better quality of the diet.[/size]
    [size=-1]Carbohydrates: [/size][size=-1]These are classified into two groups, the soluble carbs which are turned into energy when they are digested and the insoluble ones (fibers), which don't provide energy, but reduce the energetic density of the food; on the other hand they are essential for regulating the functions of the intestine.[/size]
    [size=-1]Fats: [/size][size=-1]They are essential in the diet because they:[/size]
    • [size=-1]allow the absorption of lipo-soluble vitamins (A, D, E and K),[/size]
    • [size=-1]are the source of fat acids which are essential,[/size]
    • [size=-1]provide 2.25 times more energy than carbohydrates and proteins,[/size]
    • [size=-1]improve the taste of the foods.[/size]
    Nutritional Requirements of dogs:Current AAFCO Dog Food Nutrient Profiles

For Adult Maintenance

Unless otherwise listed, all values are minimum requirements:

Protein.........18%
    Fat..............5%
    Calcium......0.6% (maximum 2.5%)
    Phosphorus...0.5% (maximum 1.6%)
    Potassium.....0.6%
    Sodium........0.06%
    Chloride.......0.09%
    Magnesium.....0.04% (maximum 0.3%)
    Iron............80 mg/kg (maximum 3,000 mg/kg)
    Copper.........7.3 mg/kg (maximum 250 mg/kg)
    Manganese........5 mg/kg
    Zinc...........120 mg/kg (maximum 1000 mg/kg)
    Iodine.........1.5 mg/kg (maximum 50 mg/kg)
    Selenium......0.11 mg/kg (maximum 2 mg/kg)
    Vitamin A.....5000 IU/kg (maximum 250,000 IU/kg)
    Vitamin D......500 IU/kg (maximum 5000 IU/kg)
    Vitamin E.......50 IU/kg (maximum 1000 IU/kg)
    Thiamine.........1 mg/kg
    Riboflavin.....2.2 mg/kg
    Pantothenic Acid..10 mg/kg
    Niacin..........11.4 mg/kg
    Pyridoxine.........1 mg/kg
    Folic Acid......0.18 mg/kg
    Vitamin B12.....0.022 mg/kg
    Choline.........1200 mg/kg

For growing puppies, pregnant and lactating bitches

The majority of nutrient minimums are the same except for the items listed. The maximum for those listed does not change.

Protein...........22%
    Fat................8%
    Calcium............1%
    Phosphorus.......0.8%
    Sodium...........0.3%
    Chloride........0.45%
    Vitamin B12....0.022 mg/kg

10. CB

CB CH Dog

I feed diamond Lamb & rice i think its one of the best feeds and trust me i have used alot.

11. Suki

Suki Guest

I feed Natural Balance (Dick Van Pattens) Just had her up at work today, and she looked "in great health" according to my boss=her doc.

Natural Balance is good kibble.

12. Jasper

Jasper Pup

I feed Chicken Soup I had switched to Wellness like 2 weeks ago but he didn't want to eat it so I then switch back to Chicken Soup and he's eating like a pig.

13. cemoreno

cemoreno Top Dog

I feed Diamond Naturals Lamb and rice it's the only thing my two will eat and eat and eat other foods they just quit eating them. No idea why Diamond is the best I'd stick with the naturals though. No vitamins on the side none are needed. I only give a supplement to my pup because she had some hair loss due to excema and now she's doing better soon she won't need it and I'll stop useing it. The food that I but costs $24+tax at the feed store.

14. PiTBuLL200416

PiTBuLL200416 Big Dog

Around where I live even at the local pet stores they dont sell any of those foods so I give my dogs Iams or Royal Canine. if any of you know where I can get better food please let me know.

15. Suki

Suki Guest

try this:
    http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/home/usa.tpl

16. PiTBuLL200416

PiTBuLL200416 Big Dog

Thx Suki but I have been their but they didnt have Timberwolf or INOva and other foods that was mentioned on this site. Im not coming at you or anything Im just saying

17. cemoreno

cemoreno Top Dog

That bites I'd feed BARF diet then I don't want my dogs to eat poo food. I told my friend Ryan who feeds his GRCH. Boxer Spice iams that he was wierd for doing so he stil argues with me but you can see it in my dogs coat that she's better fed. His aunt must've feed her something else while in the ring cause now she's dull fat and lazy. Poor dog!!